PDA

View Full Version : Factory Dump Bed

pllini
01-12-2004, 01:29 PM
I know that this is a bit off topic...

I am considering buying one of those hydraulic scissor lift kits that install under the factory 8 ft bed.

I do some light landscaping (dirt/crushed stones) and some demolition work for remodeling room/apts.

Do you have any experience with these? Recommendations? Are they just junk? Will the factory bed take the abuse?

I appreciate any help.
:drinkup:

greenback
01-12-2004, 01:39 PM
around me Long island, we can get a dump installed for 2500, everyone i talk to loves them. i am planning on putting one on my 1500(8ft bed).

Jason Rose
01-12-2004, 01:43 PM
I think it kinda depends on make and year of the truck. I looked into them but my local hydraulics shop said that over time they could push thru the bottom of the bed. My truck was an '88 Ford F-250. I DO, however know another lawn guy in town that has the same year/make truck as mine and he has a hoist under his bed with 12" to 16" high extentions on his bed. He takes two FULL loads of grass to dump EVERYDAY on average. As far as I know he has had no real problems with his lift OR the bed on his truck.

I know you will get the recomendation on here from many members to look into a dump insert. I wish I would have before I put a flatbed dump on my truck. Would have cost me half as much and if i wanted to get a different truck, no problem, slide it out of one and into another. definately worth the look.

pllini
01-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the advise so far.

Btw, I have a 01 GMC 2500HD.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-12-2004, 02:33 PM
the new truck beds suck they will not take 2 much abuse before they rip or break in half get a dump insert it saves the bed and increases resale of the truck because the bed is not beat

NCSULandscaper
01-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by DUSTYCEDAR
the new truck beds suck they will not take 2 much abuse before they rip or break in half

Exactly, truck beds are not built like they use to. Just look at a truck go over a bump and see how mush it twists and flexes. Its beacause its made out of sheet metal and plastic. I would not use your factory bed as a dump truck, go with the insert if you are set to have your truck dump. Personally i would either get a dump trailer, or a real dump truck thats built to dump.

STAN1366
01-12-2004, 05:35 PM
What kind of truck are you talking about? I had one of these type dumps on my '73 F-250 for 15 yrs. I was the only driver of it so even though at times I had quite a bit of weight in it, I'd always make sure that the truck was either level or perpindicular to a hill when I was dumping. Didn't want it to twist while going up with a load on it. You have to remember it's not a dump truck and treat it as such, but it sure make unloading loose material easy.