PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 of advertisement

alpine692003
01-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Well, yesterday on Sunday was our 1st day of advertisement.

we had a 3 liner ad in a local free newspaper distributed to my targetted city.

my 4 friends and I handed out 400 door hangers and handed out a few business cards.

Today my 3 friends and I will be going out again to do 200 door hangers.

Just wanted to see how you new guys out there are doing for your advertisments.

I was beginning to think it's a bit too early, but it's never too early. :waving: :waving:

Hokie12
01-12-2004, 04:19 PM
How many door hangers can you guys put out in a hour? Im thinking of doing this and trying to estimate how long this might take. Thanks

DUSTYCEDAR
01-12-2004, 04:20 PM
my add dont start till march

1MajorTom
01-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Hokie12
How many door hangers can you guys put out in a hour? Thanks

The answer I guess depends upon a few factors. What kind of neighborhood will you be targeting? Are these going to be postage stamp sized yards? Or will these houses be spread far apart with long winding driveways?
Also depends upon on how "gung ho" you are. Will you be walking fast?

I can only answer for myself, and I know that after about 20 minutes I'm getting tired, and I find myself taking longer and longer to get to each house. :blush:
You have to be motivated to get those door hangers out there.
If you have someone that you can take with you that will be even better. That way you can work one side of the street while your helper can work the other.

greenback
01-12-2004, 06:19 PM
i will start advertising in march when its about time to mow and everyone is fed up with their present landscaper:D . just going to drive around a few different neighborhoods and drop them in the mailbox.

Expert Lawns
01-12-2004, 06:43 PM
alpine, what's the weather like there?

cecilcountylco
01-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Don't drop anything in anyones mailbox without postage.

bigshoe
01-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Ya what cecilcounty said do not put them in the mail box you could get in real trouble doing that. I was also told by someone not to even take the risk of hanging them from the flags on the box.

Advanced Lawncare
01-12-2004, 07:28 PM
This will be my first week of Advertising. Weather here other than the last two days is freezing, but thought I would give it a try anyway.payup payup

alpine692003
01-12-2004, 08:17 PM
The weather is period's of rain with cloudy periods.

My friends and I did 400 in 3hrs with houses that are spread apart. We grabbed our bikes and just hit it up! We were going to do door hangers today but it was raining, so we just said screw it.

I think we'll be saving our door hangers til another 2 weeks to 1 month.

thank god I have good friends to help out

trying 2b organic
01-12-2004, 08:26 PM
wow, glad u posted, same weather here obv. and was wondering when to start, sort of anxios to go, i have 400 flyers done and ready, oh also, to the Americans , we can put whatever in mailboxes here. Alpine, my print shop quoted me like 80 cents each for door knockers which seemed outrageous, how much did u pay. I do like the idea of door knockers instead of flyers when we make the trouble to go to the door ourselves rather then giving flyers to post office or free local newspaper etc.
tell me if u get any responses cause i just dont know if the money is better spent now or in Feb. which is the real beginning of the season here when people are ready to start thinking about thier lawns and being outside.

alpine692003
01-12-2004, 08:48 PM
I will tell you for sure. I paid $1000 inc. tax for 5000 door hangers.

Trying - we can put flyers/doorhangers in residential houses? I thought it was illegal?

I've gotten no response yet, it's only been 1 day.. I dont expect to get any as of yet, but I'm just getting organized and just getting my name out..

Newspaper ad / flyers / door hangers .. I say to myself, it's always better to be EARLY then TOO LATE!

I'll be hitting that same neighbourhood in a month again..

proenterprises
01-12-2004, 08:52 PM
just a note about droppign things in mailboxes. i went around last season and shoved probably 200 mailboxes in a day with flyers. had a call the next day from the post master general saying that i had done somthing wrong-and due to the magnitude i was going to be fines 10 cents per flyer. :eek:

well...surprisingly, i never heard from them so i didnt have to pay but it would have sucked if i had to.

alpine692003
01-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Ya, I thought it was illegal for Canadians to put something in mailboxes? You can put something through mailslots, but I dont nkow about mailboxes.. I will have to ask..

FrankenScagMachines
01-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Anyone know if it's legal to put in newspaper boxes? Here in more out of town properties we have boxes for newspapers, would be easy to get a partner and drive through neighborhoods stuffing paper boxes.

mtdman
01-12-2004, 09:37 PM
In my experience it's legal to do Newspaper boxes. Problem with newspaper boxes is the paper people often don't like you to do that, and will toss them out if they find them. Same thing with putting fliers on flags of mail boxes.

Mail boxes are off limits, and it's a federal offense if you do. I've been told you can be charged a $500 fine if you get caught.

My first thought on this is why advertise so early? I mean, it's the dead of winter and most residential customers aren't thinking lawn care now. You might get lucky and get some calls, but most likely you are going to just waste your $$ passing them out now. My experience has been as soon as it gets warm and thaw a little bit, it's time to advertise. When you have a limited amount of $$ to spend on advertising, you want that advertising to be as effective as possible.

Just my 2 cents.

:D

Runner
01-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Newspaper boxes are fair game, around here.

alpine692003
01-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Ya, I will not advertise until mid February or late Feb.

I think it's a watse of $$$ right at the moment..

draftlawncare
01-12-2004, 09:44 PM
it is legal to hang things from mailboxes it is illegal to put thing inside a mail box atleast that is what the postmaster told me

thill
01-12-2004, 09:57 PM
draftlawncare,

Last spring we put flyers on (not in) the mail boxes. Some were hung on the flags, others were hung on whatever we could.

The next day, we got a call from the local post office and were told to cease immediately. He quoted federal statutes .......

We now take the time to walk up to the door and hang our flyers. It takes more time, but it beats the heck outta legal hassels from the feds.

Tom

FrankenScagMachines
01-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Ok thanks for verifying that Tom and Joe. The newspaper guys around here wouldn't care a bit from what i can tell LOL.

proenterprises
01-12-2004, 10:02 PM
PAPER boxes are fair game-the post office has absolutley no jurisdiction over paper boxes.

just make sure that when you put them in you tuck them in the paper so they dont fall out when they take out the paper.

sildoc
01-13-2004, 02:56 AM
I work with my paper kid here. i give him 20 bucks to hang door hangers when he delivers the paper. He is there anyways and gets over 200 delivered for me. I told him I would give him 5 bucks for every paper kid he knew in certain areas and then paid them all 20 apiece. Heck For 1000 fliers It cost me I think about a hundred to get delivered. Plus it helped out these 10-15 year olds piggy bank.
Never the less my paper is always on the door step and not on the grass or flower bed.

walker-talker
01-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by proenterprises
just a note about droppign things in mailboxes. i went around last season and shoved probably 200 mailboxes in a day with flyers. had a call the next day from the post master general saying that i had done somthing wrong-and due to the magnitude i was going to be fines 10 cents per flyer. :eek:

well...surprisingly, i never heard from them so i didnt have to pay but it would have sucked if i had to. Hell, I would deliver flyers all day long for .10 cents each if I could...that wouldn't be such a bad deal. Now the $500 fine that might go along with it would be a bad deal.

twins_lawn_care
01-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Last year me and a friend hung door hangers and we got done about 200 in 2-3 hours.
it's good exercise, and free, so how can you beat that.
Also at other times, I just take out my two boys (16 months) and walk around with them. Lots of people make the connections withe the name then (TWINS Lawn Care) and it strikes up conversation. The best part though is I get to spend some time with my boys, and they get to cruise around town for a while.
I'd say spending a little extra on the flyers/doorhangers is worth it, because remember every house is probably going to get about 5-10 flyers for lawn care. You have to make your's stand out, or it will just get tossed in the trash!:blob3: :blob4: :blob1:

Just my experience.

I also plan on starting late Feb - early march.

Movinfr8
01-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Ditto, our Postmaster called me with the cease and desist after putting flyers on the flag of boxes, not in them. I may do door hangers this year, or flyers in a bag with a couple pieces of whiterock tossed in the driveway.

The Happy Gardner
01-13-2004, 12:30 PM
:p :p :p Buy a electric or gas powered stand up scooter ( the ones that look like skateboards with a handle) and hire an honest high school kid to put them out.

I pay 100 flyer's delivered an hour.

Only problem is the honest high school kid! I get mine from the youth program at my church.

I get about 4-6% response depending on the service I'm pushing.
:blob3: :blob3:

Hokie12
01-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Your saying you get 4-6% response from your fliers? Thats pretty good, I read somewhere the industry standard is about 1%.

The Happy Gardner
01-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Thats 4-6% on things like aeration, leaf removal etc.
I've never done flyer's for weekly maintenance.

Expert Lawns
01-13-2004, 12:55 PM
I just can't see puting out lawn care flyers when there is 3 inches of snow on the groung. but, ya never know.

Joe - how bout that phone call. you still interested? i need to know.

Premium Services
01-18-2004, 06:13 PM
start of advertisements 375 door fliers on 1-16-04 plan to put out 500 to 1000 every friday for the next 3 month or till i have so much work that i can't.

trying 2b organic
01-18-2004, 08:37 PM
alpine, first you said you use door hangers then you said its illegal.
1. Can i put flyers in mailboxes? or just through mailslots?
2. Can i put doorhangers on peoples doorknobs?

alpine692003
01-19-2004, 03:27 AM
I never said it was illegal, I said I dont know whether it was illegal to put it in people's mailboxes because people in the states do that.

Yes you can put it through mailslots if it's somebodie's home.
NO you cannot put it in people's mailboxes.
Yes you can put it on people's doorknobs.

Aleman
01-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Heres the link to the USPS regualtions, it should answer all your qusetions about what can and cant be done.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/d041.htm#Rbi31049

trying 2b organic
01-19-2004, 01:42 PM
ty, however we are both in Canada. my brief search showed me that it is illegal in the U.S. but all the second hand evidence i found on the net indicates that it is legal in canada to stuff flyers in mailboxes. Think of your own box alpine, dont they put the free paper and flyers and stuff in your mailbox? I think its ok here.

JimLewis
01-19-2004, 01:55 PM
IMHO, you're wasting you're time and money on advertising this early. I predict you will get a VERY VERY low return on your investment. If you would wait until March, April or May, you'll find that you'd get 5-10x the response you'll get this time of year.

I used to try it in the winter too. I did it several times. But every time we barely got any response at all. And when I added up what I spend in materials (flyers, printing, etc.) plus my labor to put them out, it was never a profitable scenario.

Let me know if I am wrong. But I predict that 99.8% of these will just get thrown away.

trying 2b organic
01-19-2004, 01:56 PM
God help me I had to go read the Canada Post Act aplpine. NOTHING about it. I read the whole offences and punishment section about interfering with the mail yadda yadda and there is nothing about putting stuff in the mailbox. The american law states that they Own the inside of every mailbox and gives punishtment for invading it. Absolutley nothing like that in the law here in Canada. So im going to go nuts and im expecting no problems, I will definatly let you know if I find out that Im wrong.

btw as for the weather and when to advertise. spring is sprung here in Feb. Its not like the rest of Canada where me and Alpine live.

battags
01-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by mtdmaster

Mail boxes are off limits, and it's a federal offense if you do. I've been told you can be charged a $500 fine if you get caught.

:D

The Post Office doesn't even prosecute people for blowing up a mail box with a bottle bomb (with or without mail). What makes anyone think that they will care too much about fliers?

B

alpine692003
01-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Ya, I'll wait until March to advertise my door hangers.

I've put out 500 door hangers 0 response and I know why as JIM LEWIS stated.

It's too early, I'll resume in March again.

impactlandscaping
01-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by greenback
i will start advertising in march when its about time to mow and everyone is fed up with their present landscaper:D . just going to drive around a few different neighborhoods and drop them in the mailbox.

Be warned about placing un metered mail in mail boxes-it's against the law. If you are caught, there are serious fines, as well as repaying the Post Office postage for all offending fliers. Do yourself a favor, lease a Pitney Bowes postage meter, meter and mail all solicitations, and deduct it at the end of the year.It's not worth a $ 10K fine for 100-200.00 in postage.You'll come across in a clear, professional manner this way also. You can even add personal messages to clients on the meter line for pro

battags
01-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Does anyone actually know of someone being caught and fined by the USPS for placing fliers in mailboxes? Sorry, but I can't see the USPS pursuing such a thing. Even if the regulation does exist, don't they have more important things on which to focus their attention? Their regulation and enforcement must be irregular and cursory at best.

B

BB36
01-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by alpine692003
Ya, I'll wait until March to advertise my door hangers.

I've put out 500 door hangers 0 response and I know why as JIM LEWIS stated.

It's too early, I'll resume in March again.

I told you.

alpine692003
01-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Anyways, I just dropped off 4 brochure holders at 4 different real estate offices.

Wow, I can't believe I'm getting all this done in a matter of time. I'm just getting my name out, letting people know we're out there.

Tomorrow I'm going to drop off 2 more brochure holders at real estate offices.

Seems I'm gearing towards real estate offices!lol

and when march hits, I'll be doing my last 500 door hangers and ordering 5000 more!

Expert Lawns
01-20-2004, 09:10 PM
During my first year in business I was in a nearby city putting out flyers. I was not aware of the law and it turns out the mailman collected each and every flyer I distributed and then called me and said to come pick them up. What a waste of a day.

bastalker
01-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Alpine been there done that...January is when half of America is gettin over the Christmas debt. Snow on the ground....etc...

If you put a flier on my door, I would prolly dispose of it in the round file.

If ya wait till it starts greenin up, people will begin to start thinkin whether they want to do it thierselves, or have someone else do it..

Its like advertisin for fall cleanup in july...IMO

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 09:27 PM
I sent out 150 letters to local churches in the area today, im going to follow up in 2 weeks with postcards, sending out over 5000 inserts in a local city paper in a month, also sending out 600 postcards to a high end city/subdivsion.

alpine692003
01-20-2004, 09:28 PM
What did your CHURCH LETTER look like? do you mind if you give me a copy? alpine8@shaw.ca

I will be going to churches tommorrow as well in my area!

alpine692003
01-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Ya, I think I'll wait until MArch to hit up door hangers again.

I am hitting the real estate offices with brochures and I want to talk to churches!

Someone send me an example of their letter!

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 09:30 PM
I will email you a copy of it alpine in the few mins

alpine692003
01-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Thanks packer! I'm looking forward to getting some church servcing agreements!

How do you guys suggest I approach the Church and who should I talk to?

Do I talk to the pastor, father?

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 09:37 PM
youve got mail alpine, in answer to your question though, i know at my church there is a parishoner that works in the rectory so i approached her about it

alpine692003
01-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks dude! I received the letter, I think I'll go to the churches tommorrow with this letter printed out!

I'll find someone to talk to!

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 09:40 PM
feel free to use it but dont forget to change my name;)

JKOOPERS
01-20-2004, 09:44 PM
hey packerbacker do u think i can get a copy too please? send it JAKOPER@aol.com

alpine692003
01-20-2004, 09:44 PM
LOL.. I won't thanks dawg.

lawnman_scott
01-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by battags
Does anyone actually know of someone being caught and fined by the USPS for placing fliers in mailboxes? Sorry, but I can't see the USPS pursuing such a thing. Even if the regulation does exist, don't they have more important things on which to focus their attention? Their regulation and enforcement must be irregular and cursory at best.

B A few years ago i put them on mailbox posts. I figured i was safe that way. Someone from the post office called and said we couldnt do that. No fine, or evan a threat of any, just said not to do it.

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 09:46 PM
its in the mail jkoopers and both of you expect a bill for it !

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 09:48 PM
A few years ago i put them on mailbox posts. I figured i was safe that way. Someone from the post office called and said we couldnt do that. No fine, or evan a threat of any, just said not to do it.

I talked to the postal service here and they said you couldnt put them in single mailboxes but if the neighborhood had the big boxes with like 10-15 slots in them you could put a flyer in the big box where the big packages go

olderthandirt
01-20-2004, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by battags
[B]Does anyone actually know of someone being caught and fined by the USPS for placing fliers in mailboxes? Sorry, but I can't see the USPS pursuing such a thing. Even if the regulation does exist, don't they have more important things on which to focus their attention? Their regulation and enforcement must be irregular and cursory at best.

If they find one flyer on the box you pay for all address in that ZIP CODE. I learned the hard way in 1985 I didn't have to pay postage but it cost a fortune in attorneys fees. And that was for putting them between the flag and box, if there in the box its dif law thats worst. So guys learn from my mistakes!!!!

Mac:angry:

battags
01-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Man, I've been searching and searching. I can't find a thing about it being against the law for you to put a flier in the mailbox. If it is a Federal offense, it will be listed, right? If it is such a common problem, you would think that it would be clearly posted as a FAQ by the USPS or something.

I think that A) the law doesn't exist, or B) it's not worth the governments time and money to enforce it. Either way, I can see the USPS loving the fact that most of us believe the law exists, whether it does or not.

B

bastalker
01-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Just like dirt said.... You will pay!!!! Been there done it.

Placed flyers in mail boxes up here a few yrs ago. The USPS proceeded to take all of my flyers out, and phoned me a couple of days later sayin STOP!! If you dont we will fine you for each one we find.

Dont mess with the USPS.........

battags
01-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Sorry Dirt,

You posted before I was done typing my post. I wasn't calling you a liar or anything.

It's not that I don't belive you guys, I just cant find a documented thing about it. I e-mailed the USPS with my question and hopefully will get a response. No, I did not use my business address. :rolleyes:

B

olderthandirt
Originally posted by battags
Man, I've been searching and searching. I can't find a thing about it being against the law for you to put a flier in the mailbox. If it is a Federal offense, it will be listed, right? If it is such a common problem, you would think that it would be clearly posted as a FAQ by the USPS or something.

I think that A) the law doesn't exist, or B) it's not worth the governments time and money to enforce it. Either way, I can see the USPS loving the fact that most of us believe the law exists, whether it does or not.

B

battags read my previous post and call the akron branch of the main post office they were the ones that nailed me and had me scheldule for federal court in Akron Ohio

Mac

Expert Lawns
Originally posted by alpine692003
Thanks packer! I'm looking forward to getting some church servcing agreements!

How do you guys suggest I approach the Church and who should I talk to?

Dress up like an altar boy:eek:

battags
01-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
Dress up like an altar boy:eek:

Oh, no! Not good. Someone may think you are soliciting........:D

Dirt, that's what I'm doing tomorrow, but I'm still hoping that they will respond to my e-mail question. It will be interesting to hear what they say.

B

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Dress up like an altar boy

That's what I'm doing tomorrow

Your dressing up like an altar boy tommorow? :confused:

Expert Lawns
01-20-2004, 11:09 PM
haha that's how I read it too. At least MJ is no where around

Premium Services
01-21-2004, 01:16 AM
First day of marketing was 1/16/04 and got my first response today from this market push and gave the bid and she looked at me like i was crazy $45 for a 11,150 sq ft lot with a front and side drive way to edge i thought it was a good price what do ya'll think is there that many low ballers out there now cause i used the formula that i have allways used.

alpine692003
01-21-2004, 03:11 AM
Whats the weather like down there?

walker-talker
01-21-2004, 09:02 AM
I do one with 13,500 sq ft and charge $45. It takes me 45 minutes from start to finish.

PROCUT1
01-21-2004, 09:31 AM
READ THE POST ON PAGE 2 OF THIS THREAD....CLICK ON HIS LINK....THAT CLEARLY SHOWS THE POST OFFICE REGULATIONS.

battags
01-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by PROCUT1
READ THE POST ON PAGE 2 OF THIS THREAD....CLICK ON HIS LINK....THAT CLEARLY SHOWS THE POST OFFICE REGULATIONS.

You don't have to yell.....

I found the same thing. I'm looking for penalties and case law on the matter.

B

DFW Area Landscaper
01-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Battags,

I had the same experience in high school 16 years ago...sometime around 1985 or 1986. My friend & I started a lawn care business and decided to put flyers in mail boxes. When we got home, the post office had called and ordered us to stop.

About 18 months ago, I received a little business card sized piece of paper with a small magnet glued to it. It was stuck to the door of my mail box magnetically. I thought it was a brilliant idea, so I called the company doing the advertising. It was a lady selling a weight loss program. She told me that she had checked with the local post master and she was told it was totally legal. She said the rule was that it can't go in the box, it must go on the outside of the box and it can't interfere with the opening and closing of the box. At least that was her understanding.

But, from the USPS websight, that doesn't sound right:

++++Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.++++

However, there is no mention of any fines of any kind. All it says is that "Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail." Problem is, there can be any dozen different ways to calculate the "mail" rate. Is it a postcard or letter rate? Is it pre-sorted? Lot's of questions there.

I agree with what you said. I just visited the USPS websight. I'm 100% certain the post office routinely tells people to stop placing advertisements in mail boxes. I know this goes on all the time. But why don't they specifically address the issue in FAQ's? I've used their search engine with phrases such as "advertisements without postage" and "flyers" and "mail boxes" and I can find nothing on the subject, other than the poorly phrased paragraph above. I even tried a search on "fines" but I still found nothing.

As for the mail box, the home owner is the one who owns the mail box. They sell them at hardware stores. The USPS doesn't replace a mail box if it gets destroyed...the customer does. I would guess that the owner of the box is the one who bought and maintains it. That's the way everything else in our country is.

I have no idea how to research this stuff. I have never, ever heard of anyone who was fined by the post office for any reason. I've always assumed people are fined by the post office all the time. I've just never heard of it actually happening.

If you know how to research this stuff, please post your findings.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

trying 2b organic
01-21-2004, 10:52 PM
the post office is an ass. thats why they dont just make it easy to find out. When I asked the post office in my country if it was legal for me to put flyers in mailboxes since i could "search" no info and couldnt find anything in the actual Act and regulations they responded with a form letter saying if i dont want flyers i can put a "no junk mail" sign on my box. ---- em. I think its ok in Canada anyway so here I go.

alpine692003
01-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Ya, USPS is more strict in terms of flyers.

I put flyers through the mailboxes the otherday, its not a problem so far. I've seen mailmen not even mention a word about it!

trying 2b organic
01-21-2004, 11:09 PM
sounds good alpine, ty
I dont mess with the community mail boxes, they are post office property, luckily it seems like most people have a box at the house even where the street has a community mail box.
I know through the slot is always ok, did u mean mailbox on the house or the canada post community boxes? also ty for telling results on first run of door knockers, im taking your advise and holdiing off till Feb.

alpine692003
01-22-2004, 03:22 AM
Ya dude, don't do the door hangers until like March.. I put out 500 in the last 2 weeks 0 calls..

Soupy
01-22-2004, 05:02 AM
The only person that can enforce the law, is the postal carrier. If you find the carrier for the area and ask him/her nicely. They might give you permission. I have done it, most times they will look at me and say, "what flyer, I don't see no flyer" :) Just be polite and let them know that you will not make it difficult for them to get in the box.

By the way, my suggestion is for hanging them on the box. I don't think they would want you in the box. Also, I was told by my carrier, that the law is to prevent any finger pointing if mail was stolen or lost.

Scott37
01-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Down here in the DEEP SOUTH, Florida that is, We need to advertise on a weekly basis. Therefore I am running out of ideas. does anyone up NORTH have any ideas?

kootoomootoo
01-28-2004, 05:52 PM
I distributed 10000 flyers last year and will do at least 20000+
this year. To quote a few customers responses I had "the best flyer they had seen". 3 color, double sided, card stock with return mailer. Lucky if I got 1% response. Sold maybe 33% of those.

Aleman
01-28-2004, 06:51 PM
++++Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.++++

Just doing a little research on the above regulation and if you were to put magnetic business cards on the outside of the mail box, you cant be subject to the postage. The minimum postcard size is 3.5" X 5" and if your card is smaller than that, then it wouldn't be subject to postage because its too small to mail. Its not "mailable matter".Just a thought.....

alpine692003
01-28-2004, 07:58 PM
I've had 0 responses... I've been hitting up churches and gave 3 estimates..

I'll do flyers in about 2months

twins_lawn_care
01-29-2004, 11:17 AM
hey Kootoomootoo,
that sounds about average for flyer return from what I have heard, and with your numbers, sounds like you got about 33 new clients out of it. Sounds ok to me, not sure of your cost though, but 33 clients is big to me.
Any input on whether you were happy or not, or were these yearly contracts or just one timers?

alpine692003
02-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Welp, over here in Vancouver it's warming up!

My friends and I were thinking about putting out another 500 door hangers shortly on a sunday afternoon!

How many of you guys are going out there and doing door hangers right now?

I'm thinking about putting out door hangers in about 2 weeks on a sunday!

qualitylandscaping
02-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Alpine,

From my experience I can tell you that you shouldn't be putting out door hangers on a Sunday.

One of two things will happen:

A) The old people will come out and talk to you forever (thus slowing down your advertising); and they will usually have no intention to hire you or anyone else.

B) You might start pissing people off who are just trying to relax around the house. I've had a few "get the hell off of my porch" day's..

I would recommend waiting until a weekday when 80% of the residential neighborhood homeowners are at work and the kids are in school and the dogs are in the house.. :rolleyes:

alpine692003
02-10-2004, 11:45 AM
REally eh? That sounds like a good idea then, say, Monday instead of a sunday?

qualitylandscaping
02-10-2004, 12:08 PM
I would guess that Friday would be the best day.. My reason is because most people are more relaxed on a Friday because they are done working for the week, so they will possibly spend alittle more time looking through the mail and anything else they got that day. It's less likely to just be tossed into the garbage when people feel they have time and aren't stressed over work, etc.

Darryl G
02-11-2004, 01:41 AM
I hate flyers/door hangers.

I do not like them on or in a mailbox. I do not like them in a news paper box. I do not like them in a bag in my driveway. I do not like them anywhere!!! I do not like flyers and hangers!

And if you try to put one on my door knob, I'll call the cops, because you'd be trespassing (my property is posted).

And if you even try to put one under my car wiper, I'll break your arm!

Sorry, I just hate picking all the dang things up all the time...because they usually end up on the ground. Honestly, do any of you appreciate when people leave flyers for you?

I think direct mail, newpaper ads and inserts, and the phone book are more professional. Nothing wrong with door-to-door either. But to just go hang some litter on someones door or mailbox is tacky to me.

1MajorTom
02-11-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by darryl gesner
But to just go hang some litter on someones door or mailbox is tacky to me.

LOL
I had to laugh when I read that. Nothing like being blunt here.

But I'm surprised that you like direct mail. You mean to tell me you like to receive that junk in the mail, then you're forced to carry it into your house, then forced to throw it away? ;)
Isn't that basically the same thing as a doorhanger that you are forced to carry into your house and throw away?

alpine692003
02-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Yah, I dont get that as well! seems like the same thing..

Maybe because the post person did it, he wouldn't feel tacky about it!

bastalker
02-11-2004, 04:31 AM
No you cant put flyers in mail boxes, or anywhere on one! You will get fined.

Wait till spring to walk door to door with your friends and attach door hangers, stand out side of grocery stores passing them out, or put them under windshield wipers. What ever you guys do.If you do it in the winter you wont get your investment returned.

Alpine I would have looked at you like you were crazy to have the nerve to charge me $45 for a little over a 1/4 acre lot.

You guys are amazing........

upsondown
02-11-2004, 05:48 AM
In my area anyone distributing flyers or doorhangers must be a licensed business and must apply for a peddlers permit from the county office where they are proposing to distribute their literature. The cost of a peddler's permit for this purpose is $500 and the proposed literature must be reviewed and approved by council government. The fee for that is $50 - and must be submitted and approved anytime any changes are made to your flyer or door hanger. Mailboxes are totally off limits - either in or on them - federal regulation.

battags
02-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by bastalker
No you cant put flyers in mail boxes, or anywhere on one! You will get fined.

Finally:dizzy:, I think that I have found the answer. I spoke with the managers of two local post office branches and they both said the same thing.

The USPS can charge a "fine" for flyers left in mailboxes without postage. That "fine" is no more than the normal postage would be for any item of similar weight and size. In other words, you would owe the USPS for postage due, and nothing more.

B

Darryl G
02-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Jodi - I don't exactly love direct mail either, but I find it to be a tolerable and professional means of distributing advertising. It just seems less imposing to me. Besides, I'm always in need of some good fire starter material for our firieplace, since we don't get the newspaper.

:)

upsondown
02-11-2004, 11:49 AM
"The USPS can charge a "fine" for flyers left in mailboxes without postage. That "fine" is no more than the normal postage would be for any item of similar weight and size. In other words, you would owe the USPS for postage due, and nothing more."

A caviat to that post would be that depending on how much of a jerk your local postmaster might want to be - he or she could technically push the issue for postage due on all of your cards left on or in the mailboxes and that number would be up for debate - your word against theirs i suppose........seems to me the easiest way to do this is rather than try to skirt around the law......pay the postage - and save your legs - for more productive stuff - like mowing.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-11-2004, 11:54 AM
My postmaster said you can hang anything you want on the outside of a mailbox...sounds like we need a more definative answer...

Derek

alpine692003
02-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Uhhh... How much would you charge for approx 13,000 sq feet then? $35?

Originally posted by bastalker

Alpine I would have looked at you like you were crazy to have the nerve to charge me $45 for a little over a 1/4 acre lot.

You guys are amazing........

battags
02-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by upsondown
seems to me the easiest way to do this is rather than try to skirt around the law......pay the postage - and save your legs - for more productive stuff - like mowing.

Your missing my point.

biglou
02-12-2004, 12:00 AM
seems to me the easy thing to do is check with your local newpaper. let them deliever for you. we have the newspaper print and deliever for us. it only cost $35.00 per thousand/ 5000 minimum. we put out 10000 to 20000 per year. we blanket our target area twice. march and april. we never let the weekly ad stop.its only the 11th of feburary and i'm getting calls for lawn quotes. march and april are going to be busy.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Alpine I would have looked at you like you were nuts too quarter acre if I am running a 2 man crew I can do 4-6 of them per hour if I'm running a 3 man crew I can do 5-8 of them per hour you asked for 45 dollars for 10 mins work a lot of the prices have to do with what your running for equipment if you donít have a 10,000 dollar mower you wont be seeing the same production rates.

45 dollars around here is the price you would get if you were lucky for an acre house the half acres I get around 30-35 dollars for the quarter acre you have it would be 20-25 dollars maybe as high as 28 if it was lush and I was bagging it. Key to lawns is quantity and when your starting out there will be gaps in your list that eat allot of time I doubt you can even see 2 lawns an hour your first 2-3 months it will get better as the list gets thicker and then numbers like I mentioned above are doable but you wont be seeing that at first takes a while before you have 3-10 lawns on a given road.

cntryboymc
02-12-2004, 01:48 AM
what do your door fliers look like?what info do you put on them?

alpine692003
02-12-2004, 03:14 AM
What do you mean I'm crazy, Kelly?

I will be doing a 2 man crew on a 14,000 lawn..

I charged $85-90 Cdn which is like $70US.

I only have a 21" mower for now!

qualitylandscaping
02-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Wow.. I'm moving to Canada:eek:

alpine692003
02-12-2004, 01:21 PM
is that a lot or little

Kelly's Landscaping
02-13-2004, 12:23 AM
Alpine I donít know if thatís a lot or a little for where you live my guess is itís a lot. Where I am you would probably not get one account with prices like that in fact I know you wouldnít
I will be doing a 2 man crew on a 14,000 lawn.. I charged $85-90 Cdn which is like $70US. thats like 250 dollars an acre is that what you canadians realy get.

What I tried to say to you earlier is its not the customers fault you do not have more efficient equipment I realize that is probably 1-2 man hours to cut that with 21 inch mowers and there fore you feel your entitled to 35 an hour. But what you described, with what I would run is 10 mins work or 20 mins if you were counting man-hours. Now if you guys really get that much up there then great your gona do very well but I can speak for my state which has some of the highest income rates in the America you would never get those prices here. In fact you would not get half that amount.

alpine692003
02-13-2004, 12:29 AM
Thats true Kelly;

Well, to mow/trim/edge 500sq feet = $25-30