PDA

View Full Version : Yazoo Kees


tjcezar
01-12-2004, 09:32 PM
What do you guys think of Yazoo Kees Z's and walkbehinds? I am in the market for some new equipment this year.

sildoc
01-13-2004, 03:58 AM
Same thing as husqvarna. Nice machine but they are a bit heavy. Alot of extras added for the price. Only problem, and not a big one, is the blade speed.

P&C Lawn Care
01-13-2004, 09:37 AM
I think they are great machines, in fact, Yazoo/Kees or Farris will be my next ZTR mower. I can't see that they are any heavier than any other Z mower. Another thing I don't get is this blade tip speed that some complain about. Yes I understand the fundamentals of having the blade turn at a proper RPM to cut a blade of grass, but I have yet to experiance a mower (that had sharp blades) having problems turning adequate RPM's for the blades. Maybe this happens when using dull blades.

Hodge
01-13-2004, 09:45 AM
OK so what is the issue with the blade speed? Are they running 1800 RPM or is it that their speed in not consistent?

chevyman1
01-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Go with the Ferris....superior build, Yazookees remind me of a cheap Japanese knockoff

rodfather
01-13-2004, 09:54 AM
What the hell is a Yazoo? Now Ferris...I know about them probably more than most.

springman26
01-13-2004, 10:43 AM
I have a Yazoo 48 in w/b with a 15 Kawi and I love it! I bought it last year new and I have to say it is almost exactly the same as the 1995 48 Exmark that I have. With the two side by side you can barely tell them apart. I think I got a good deal on it, $2500 oh and its a belt drive. I run a sulky on it and I can cut on the fastest speed 5 and really rip along. I would buy another if I had to. Just my 2 cents.

BrianK10
01-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Stick to Toro or eXmark. Can't go wrong there. If you want to spend a little more, bump up to a BobCat or Scag. Great all around mowers IMO. I tried one of their w/b's once, and would go other routes before I bought one.

Brian

rodfather
01-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by BrianK10
If you want to spend a little more, bump up to a BobCat or Scag.


Bump up to a Bocat? You're kiddin', right? Maybe (?) a Scag...like you said, Toro or eXmark or IMO, a Ferris which was previously mentioned btw.

bayfish
01-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Ferris...what is that?...are they the same ones who make the big "wheel"?

tjcezar
01-13-2004, 09:22 PM
OK I heard about the blade speed not being fast enough but don't quite understand as some others have stated. I have a Yazoo Kees mini max(42") Z that I put a 48" deck on and that has treated me right so far. The only thing is that I never ran any other type of equipment so I have nothing to compare to. Also I'm on a limited budget. Hopefully you guys out there will send some more feedback.

sildoc
01-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Ok the faster the blade tip speed the faster you can cut and get the same results as the slower blade tip speed. This is with all things being equal. There are other factors such as deck and blades that affect the cut but if you have a good deck such as the toro or exmark and a 18500 BTS (blade tip speed) you will cut at 7 mph and get as good as a cut as a husky or yazoo with a 15800 bts mowing at 6mph. The higher bts is more productive = more profit. Now this is if you can actually mow that fast on the particular property that you have.
Good luck.
I am not saying that Yazoo and Husqvarna are bad machines, Heck I almost bought a husky, but a machine that Has a higher bts hypothetically will mow nicer than one with a lower bts.

tjcezar
01-16-2004, 03:57 PM
thanks that makes sense. This is my second year in the biz. So much to learn!

brucec32
02-11-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by tjcezar
OK I heard about the blade speed not being fast enough but don't quite understand as some others have stated. I have a Yazoo Kees mini max(42") Z that I put a 48" deck on and that has treated me right so far. The only thing is that I never ran any other type of equipment so I have nothing to compare to. Also I'm on a limited budget. Hopefully you guys out there will send some more feedback.

How have you liked your yazoo, and why did you change the decks? Did the 42" perform well? I use an exmark hp 48" and it does great, but even it's not perfect.

tjcezar
02-11-2004, 08:18 AM
I like my yazoo kees but I really can't compare iit to nothing since it is all I ve aver had. I can understand about the blade tip speed though since many times I am forced to do double cuts when I really dont think I should have to.
I bought the other deck for the six more inches (42" is pretty small) and I got a really good deal on it brand new on e-bay( might make it a mulching deck). This year I will try gators and see how much of a difference that makes.

Green lawns
02-11-2004, 04:56 PM
We run one 36'' Yazoo/Kees 14HP Kawaski Hydrostatic drive. Leaves a nice cut on most lawns. Its used one day out of the week on berms ( 4-5 hours ) 30 to 50 degrees and does very very well. Still a very nice cut and we side discharge on all berms. We have no regrets on this mower and little repair time. Ours is a 1999 model!

gogetter
02-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by sildoc
Same thing as husqvarna. Nice machine but they are a bit heavy. Alot of extras added for the price. Only problem, and not a big one, is the blade speed.

Just a quick note on the weight, comparing a 52" deck with 23hp motor, the Mid Max is actually more then 200lbs lighter then an Exmark HP of same size deck/engine.

I'm figuring the "Mid Max" series from Yazoo/Kees is comparable to Exmarks "HP" model Lazer.

The spec sheets I have in front of me don't have the blade tip speeds.

I was looking at the Mid Max at a recent show. Nice looking mower. I didn't get a price on it though. For me, it would have to be considerably less for me to choose that over the Exmark Lazer HP. This is partially because I have a very good Exmark dealer less then 10 minutes away. Not sure where my nearest Yazoo/Kees dealer is. I haven't seen them at any local shops that I frequent.
But if the saving were huge (and I doubt they are), I'd certainly consider the Mid Max.

sildoc
02-12-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by gogetter
Just a quick note on the weight, comparing a 52" deck with 23hp motor, the Mid Max is actually more then 200lbs lighter then an Exmark HP of same size deck/engine.

I'm figuring the "Mid Max" series from Yazoo/Kees is comparable to Exmarks "HP" model Lazer.

The spec sheets I have in front of me don't have the blade tip speeds.

I was looking at the Mid Max at a recent show. Nice looking mower. I didn't get a price on it though. For me, it would have to be considerably less for me to choose that over the Exmark Lazer HP. This is partially because I have a very good Exmark dealer less then 10 minutes away. Not sure where my nearest Yazoo/Kees dealer is. I haven't seen them at any local shops that I frequent.
But if the saving were huge (and I doubt they are), I'd certainly consider the Mid Max.
As this is true most of the walk behinds are very heavy compared to Exmark, Scag, Toro and Ferris of the same comparable model. Now as for ZTR's ? I have not a clue since I have never been in the market for one as of yet.

I do know that Yazoo and Husky are part of Electrolux Corp. They have dedicated to the ZTR and Mid Walk behind commercial end of the line and are dedicated towards the Saw, trimmer, blower and edger commercial series. The rep. Here says that this will be one of there motivations for the future since many companies have been bought and there are roughly only 5-6 major corporations that actually deal with commercial equiptment. (now before you get in a tissy and say there are more well Yazoo and husky are the same corp as is ferris and snapper as is toro and exmark. There is 6 major brands in 3 companies.) If you have good service and a good dealer go for it.

brucec32
02-14-2004, 03:27 PM
One negative for me on Yazoo/Husqvarna is the lack of dealers close by, and even then, they're not big ones that seem fully committed to the brand. Hate to get orphaned if they close shop or drop the line.

Green King
03-14-2004, 06:35 PM
I have looked at just about every mower there is. I feel that Yazoo is one of those mowers that gives a lot of machine for the dollar! I compared a 61" 27hp kohler against a Exmark 61" 27hp and the yazoo I personally fell was a much better buy!

Here is why!

Tapered roller bearings in the spindles!
One piece frame!
Hydro oil cooler!

Everything else was pretty much the same on the two mowers. Except price.

Exmark was $8295.

Yazoo was $6995.
Same warranty on both machines!
Same hydro's on both machines
Same hydro reservoir.
The yazoo uses a vertical shaft engine the lazer uses a horizontal shaft engine.

As far as comparing to ferris they locally anyhow do not have a good reputation. But I think that is from the first ferris mowers not what they currently build.

Someone also said something about blade speed. I do not know what it is but it sure sounds high when they are running.

I do not own either of these mowers but I would certainly buy a yazoo if they continue to give that much of a mower at that kind of price!

lawnman_scott
03-14-2004, 06:46 PM
I had a 52 in ch hydro walkbehind with a 18 hp kohler a while ago. It was a great mower, and cut better than anything i ever had until i got my lazer. I would definatly buy one again if the right deal came along.