PDA

View Full Version : lost 500

germann
01-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Mowed for a great guy. Generated 1500 yearly and always payed cash. Went bankrupt and lost his BMW convertible and $350k house. We are out 500. Should not have worked so long without pay. He promised if he ever got the cash, he would get it to us because he liked us a lot and we were always fair and on time. Time will tell, but I am not expecting anything. We did recieve his bankrupcy notice in the mail, stating there were no assets to divide.

proenterprises
01-12-2004, 08:48 PM
rough..sorry to hear about your loss. as long as he has ben loyal and and good guy (like it sounds) than i am sure what he said is true and he will pay back what he owes asap.

rodfather
01-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Move on...I lost $9100 almost the same way last year. Only he generated (as a client) 25K per year.

Runner
01-12-2004, 09:50 PM
I had this happen to me with a customer one time. It wasn't as much, somewhere around 200 bucks, I think. About 2 years later, I opened a letter I recieved. In it was a check for the full amount. This lady actually came through after all that time.

NCSULandscaper
01-12-2004, 09:53 PM
I think bankrupcy should be illegal. Just look at how many honest working people it screws just because some dumbass spent more money than he has.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

mtdman
01-12-2004, 09:55 PM
I lost $150 two years ago from a customer that paid me on time for years. Then he up and moved, didn't leave a forwarding address, and stiffed me for 2 months pay. You can never tell, and I shouldn't have let him get so far behind.

johnbast3
01-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Just my 2 cents worth..How can you mow anyone who owes over two months?It sounds as if you went well over that..JB

mtdman
01-12-2004, 10:06 PM
In my case, he moved at the end of the second month and I had only billed him for 1 month. But he owed me for 2. As I said, I shouldn't have let him slide. (pay attention newbies)

Fantasy Lawns
01-13-2004, 01:08 AM
We stop suspend service before all that .... for me ..... monthly billing ... 12 months year round .... due on the 20th .... no further service after the following month of the 5th

Fore the most part after the 1st notice of late ... if the following month is the same ... I send them notice that PRE payment is the ONLY option for us to continue untill after 1 year of regular service ..... if not ..... I just drop em

Can't believe all the reading, stories, tales, how to charge for late, how to make more $$ on slow pay customers out there

I just drop em BEFORE they become a liability

Kelly's Landscaping
01-13-2004, 02:05 AM
Did he go bankrupt or did he file for bankruptcy. There is a difference you arenít bankrupt to a judge rules on that case and the first part of that is a notice to all his creditors. I.E. YOU he said he wants to pay you yet included you in his bankruptcy declaration. What a prick well if it has been ruled already there is nothing you can do but if you were included you are suppose to have been notified. Which is what it sounds like just happened next step would then be his court case which as a creditor you should be notified of the date and time. In case you have no knowledge of this your gona love this he will be called in front of the judge and be question by the judge. When the judge is through he will ask if any of his creditors wishes to question him hehehehehe OH you go to do that to him. Worse case scenario your in the same boat you are now but if you win your points the judge can exempt you from his declaration and you guessed it he gets a payment plan an still owes you. There are many different chapters of bankruptcy 7 is the worse it is a complete wipe of all depts. It is also nearly impossible to get and if a house is involved I would bet he doesnít even try. It will be something like 11 and you can get payment plans with that.

TJLC
01-13-2004, 08:37 AM
I have had a few customers who seem fine, pay their bills on time and then for some unknown reason they either stop paying or drop you. Fortunately, knock on wood, I have never lost more than $100.00. This is not to say it's right, it just happens sometimes. I try to get the money but it's usually a waste of my time and I move on and chalk it up as a learning experience. Good luck.

paponte
01-13-2004, 10:11 AM
He promised if he ever got the cash, he would get it to us because he liked us a lot and we were always fair and on time

Don't hold your breathe! :blush:

Gotta just face it... you can't win all the time. Just be thankful it wasn't $5,000. :cool:

PLI1
01-13-2004, 05:20 PM
It's hard to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

PrecisionLandService
01-13-2004, 07:28 PM
I think my new rule for weekly mowing customers is gonna be if i dont recieve payment by due date there will be a late fee of $15.00.... If its a few days late i will try to let the late fee slide.... If the customer hasnt paid after 30 days from the origional due date I will stop service until I revieve payment and interest will accru after 30 days of an unpaid invoice! Does that sound fair.... I have many customers that feel they can wait until the end of the year to pay up.... It will help to have a due date too, I didnt have one on there before.

Barkleymut
01-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I have a customer who owes from Septembers work. I still service him weekly. Why? He is a Doctor, he is a friend and he is unorganized. He will realize he is so far behind in Feb or Mar. and give me the money when I really need it. And since none of you will keep him unless he pays 2 minutes after he receives the bill he has no choice but to keep me as his lawnie for forever.

But for most customers I would cut them off at 60 days past due. In 6 years I have been stiffed for around $200.

By the way, if they have a BMW and a nice home they are MUCH more likely to go Bankrupt than if they have a 92 Chevy and a $175K home.

cantoo
01-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Does the guy have a daughter?
Maybe you can offer a free round of fertilizer to settle the debt.

Scraper
01-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Barkleymut
I have a customer who owes from Septembers work. I still service him weekly. Why? He is a Doctor, he is a friend and he is unorganized. He will realize he is so far behind in Feb or Mar. and give me the money when I really need it. And since none of you will keep him unless he pays 2 minutes after he receives the bill he has no choice but to keep me as his lawnie for forever.

I have a few like that. Actually got a a couple grand from one last week. That sure does come in handy paying off all those Christmas presents.

rodfather
01-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Scraper
That sure does come in handy paying off all those Christmas presents.

Scraper, where is mine btw?:D

Scraper
01-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Scraper, where is mine btw?:D

Didn't you find a pile in your fireplace? :p