PDA

View Full Version : First hire advice.

germann
01-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Going to need to hire first seasonal employee this spring. March 15-Dec. 15. We know the payroll ropes as our younger brother has been paid as an employee in the past. Any advice on how to hire, advertise, interview is appreicated. We are leaning toward hispanic. He will always be with an owner when working.

:blob2:My biggest worry is he will quit or we will need to fire him mid april or may, when we can least afford to. Who has been in a situation like this, and what did you do to get everything mowed.

proenterprises
01-12-2004, 09:47 PM
when you go through the hiring process...ask questions and try and get a feel of his background...where has he worked, how long, why he left. maybe even contact the employers to find out how he actually does. this may be difficult if he does not speak english (not sure if anyone you know speaks spanish)

as far as him quitting-its tough to say how it will all come out. you may just have to hussel for a few days until you can get another hand.

good luck.

mtdman
01-12-2004, 10:43 PM
How do people go about firing a guy that doesn't work out? I was thinking of a trial period for potential employees, where I could let folks go without cause if they weren't working out.

But then how do you get rid of a guy that's been around for a while that starts to slack off? Without worrying about legal retribution, that is?

:D

MCDANIELBROTHER
01-12-2004, 11:48 PM
MTDmaster,

The most important step you can take is to document everything!!! Take the time to print out a "handbook" on company policies. even if it is just one page, and be specific about what you expect from an employee. have him initial a form that states that he received a copy, read it and that you were available to answer questions. If you do find an employee starting to "slack off", bring it to his attention, give him a second chance but DOCUMENT the fact that you spoke to him and have him initial or sign a "warning" slip. Again, keep it simple, just something that states the topic was discussed. If it continues, DOCUMENT the instances of his slacking etc. Then, let him go if need be. You always run the risk of someone filing a complaint, there isnt much you can do. But if you have documentation from the handbook, warnings, foremen reviews etc, you have a leg to stand on.

I know it sounds like a lot, maybe even a little paranoid, but I have had people file bogus claims years and years after employment and that stuff helps cause I can barely remeber what I did two hours ago!!! (: Hope this helps and good luck!!!