PDA

View Full Version : bonus incentive program for employees

tryz
01-13-2004, 12:42 AM
hi,
i was thinking of doing a bonus incentive program with my employees this year to try and get them excited about do a good job. An example would be, pay crew leaders $8/hr with a bonus of $1/hr for being there every day, and another $1/hr for no customer complaints for that pay period. What do you think, or what would you do/or have done.

thanks

:cool2::cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2::cool2: :sleeping: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2::cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

DUSTYCEDAR
01-13-2004, 12:48 AM
u have 2 be real clear and put it in wrighting so everyone understands
u have 2 define what a complaint is
u left blew grass in a bed or u broke a window where do u draw the line
it may be the ticket to motivate them

Avery
01-13-2004, 12:56 AM
We give what equals to a weeks pay as a Christmas bonus every year. If we get a legitimate complaint from a client the crew leader goes back at the end of the day on his time to fix it. Crew leaders are salary positions.

paponte
01-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Wrong!! You should be talking... pay cuts. What you are saying is that you are WILLING to pay for a sh*tty job, BUT... if they do a better job (the job they should already be doing) they will pay extra. No way! If they are already doing a cr@ppy job, and are lazy, why would they be willing to put the extra effort into doing a better job? Most likely they will say the extra energy is not worth it.

I pay good money and EXPECT a good job. If you can't work up to par, go find someone else that will pay you what I am. Showing up?... easy, no show... NO PAY! no show a couple of day in a month... NO JOB! 1 customer complaint... let's fix the problem here. 2 complaints... is there still a problem? 3rd complaint... your last chance. After that, you are gone. You pay your employees for a good job. Why should YOU have to pay extra for a better job? As an employee, THEY should try to improve themselves, as to get a raise. If you worked for a company and didn't pull your weight, you would eventually get fired. Same goes for my employees. May sound tough to some, but it produces. :cool:

twins_lawn_care
01-13-2004, 12:01 PM
I'd have to agree with Paponte here.
you should not reward poor performance, which is what a lot of companies (not just LCO's do) and don't even know it.
like giving employees that can't do good work the easier jobs to do. fact is, if they can't do good work, they're not good employees. and so on.
it is all personal preference, but I choose to give a bonus after I feel somone has gone above and beyond what they were expected to, not for something they are already getting paid for.

now if you have a specific problem, like attendance. What I would do, is not mention anything, but after the first month, gather all the employees, and hand out $100 to each one who was never late, or never called in. This way, they will be rewarded for doing their expected job (although against my earlier comment) but the ones you have trouble with will get the message that they are losing out by not showing up when they are suppose to.

I like sharing the wealth of bonuses, but I am not quite to that point yet, so all above comments I have not used in my LCO yet, but plan to. These are comments coming from other job perspectives, but surely do apply here.

The Happy Gardner
01-13-2004, 12:44 PM
This is a great topic.
I've thought about an incentive program before but never pursued it. Does anyone have anything already in writing?? Would love to see it.:blob2:

paponte
01-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by The Happy Gardner
This is a great topic.
I've thought about an incentive program before but never pursued it. Does anyone have anything already in writing?? Would love to see it.:blob2:

Sure do... it's called their PAYCHECK! The guys that do the work, but arent the best are happy with what they make and their current position. The guys who show the extra effort, and strive to be "the best" are the ones getting paid ALOT more, and have more responsibilities. Yes more responsibilities, but these are the guys that are also getting treated like a family member. Why? cause in my book I feel they are. Need to borrow a truck to move? ...no problem. These are they guys that sit at my table and eat with me and my family. They know I am there in a pinch. :cool:

soonernation
01-13-2004, 01:09 PM
I have to agree with paponte, the insentive is a great motivator but you also don't want to set yourself up to be taken advantage of. Treating the consistant hard workers as if they are family and rewarding them with another year of financial stability should be insentive enough. I have a couple of guys that work with me that love soccer and boxing. Unfortunately they cant afford the pay per view to watch it, so I like to surprise them every now and then by paying for it and having them over to watch it. That seems to really make them feel like I care and they work like it to.

tryz
01-13-2004, 01:44 PM
thanks for all your input, just want to clairify some thing, their statring wage would be $10/hr, so i would not be rewarding them for work that should be done anyways, it would be deducted if not on time or a ligitamte complaint. your thought on this way

thanks