PDA

View Full Version : Is there a market?

burnandreturn
01-13-2004, 01:17 AM
Do you think there is a market for a lift/hoist for small and large mowers, etc. that would lift the mowers up to six feet off the ground with clear access to the decks to facilitate changing blades and cleaning/preasure washing underneath the deck?
The cost under $1000........?

lawnwizards
01-13-2004, 01:24 AM
you mean like a fork lift type of machine?

burnandreturn
01-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Yes something similar to a forklift

Avery
01-13-2004, 02:08 AM
Not IMO. I can do all those things with the Toro EZ Stander. And it costs much less than a grand.

Phishook
01-13-2004, 02:08 AM
Under 1000, ya.

MudslinginFX4
01-13-2004, 02:53 AM
I couldn't see spending that kind of money. JMO. All of the larger guys that can afford it have employees to do the dirty work for them!

jeffex
01-13-2004, 07:29 AM
if you could carry it on your trailer and use it to lift your wb 5' high then push the lift through the gate. no more 21" mowers in fenced backyards!

KenH
01-13-2004, 09:23 AM
I could see that for use in my garage. Not so much for changing blades as for working on the mowers. Would be nice not having to bend down. Also could be used for changing oils.

LawnPerfect
01-13-2004, 10:15 AM
There is a market for anything that you can imagine. The only problem is finding your customers.

But to answer your question. If it could be small and against the wall in a shop sure I would look into it. (Would be great for older folks too) Olderthandirt might be your first customer. lol

dgram8
01-13-2004, 10:42 AM
I have a above ground lift made for automotive use works good ,also do my oil changes , tire changes etc. on work and personal vehicles paid for it's self a lot of times . cost about 2000.00 two years ago couldn't live without it!

burnandreturn
01-13-2004, 11:03 AM
What I have in mind would not take up alot of room and could be delivered in kit form by UPS. I think I will work on this project.

paponte
01-13-2004, 11:23 AM
You may have an idea. There are small lifts out there that do not lift 6' off the ground for under $1k. There are also larger mower lifts that will and are fully electric.

Couple of questions I would have are:

How would you provide lift? Manually would take forever to lift a whole 6', and electric motor would be a couple of bucks being that you are trying to keep it under $1K.

Targeting different machines. I know my buddies lift has a whole mess of attachments for different machines. Size decks, wheels, mfg. will vary from machine to machine.

Costs. I believe why something has not been manufactured that will lift a machine 6' for under $1K, is simply cost. You are talking about some pretty thick gage stock, that is going to lift up say around 1k lbs. You are talking well over 150lbs which will not be able to be delivered by normal carrier (UPS,FedEx, etc.)

I am not knocking your idea, I truly believe there would be a market for it. I am just trowing why I believe there is not one made already. If you are really thinking about this, a reply wold be great. Good luck. ;)

burnandreturn
01-13-2004, 11:43 AM
I have this thing worked out.
As to shipping, I know the limitations of UPS, etc. but I that part worked out also! Don't mean to sound evasive. I'm waiting for Sean Adams to get back with me on advertising on this site.

paponte
01-13-2004, 12:45 PM
hehehe! ;)

LB Landscaping
01-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Sounds interesting!!!!! Keep us posted.

burnandreturn
01-13-2004, 06:35 PM
I've had a lot of very positive feedback about the lift, Thanks!

pjslawncare/landscap
01-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Often if I need to lift my mower that high to work onder it, I will chain mower (Walk behinds only) to front loader and whalla. If you are thinking of designing or building such device, maybe use an old front loader with some form of pump system and build some stationary platform for it. Ive seen it done that way for large garbage containers. Just an idea

burnandreturn
01-13-2004, 07:54 PM
I have a forklift and a skid steer that I use to lift all kinds of things. I'm working on an affordable and simple design. Often times I get things too complicated and turn them into a sort of Rube Goldberg kind of thing. I'm trying to restrain myself on this one. I got it all worked out!!!!!!!!

Team Gopher
01-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Hi burnandreturn,

Good for you for doing this! I can't wait to see it!

burnandreturn
01-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! :blob2:

awm
01-14-2004, 02:30 PM
i one thing i got to say.. u mite think about increasing your insurance.. especially if hired hands gonna use..
if u could make something affordable that would get big mowers over a fence id like to see it happen.. an portable, hoist with cable run mite be something less expensive tho. who knows .. jmo

burnandreturn
01-14-2004, 07:40 PM
What I'm building is for servicing mower's at either home or at the shop, not taking on the route to lift mowers over a fence...................but now that you mention it, ummmmmmm!

xcopterdoc
01-14-2004, 08:30 PM
First off... they already have lifts made specifically for mowers. If your are gonna sell em for 1000 or less, I hope you plan on making and selling alot of them to pay for all the costs of engineering, certifying and approving them. A.L.I. is one of the approval agencies, as is ANSI and also OSHA will have their hands in there somewhere. When ever you go to mass produce and sell something like this to JQ Public you have to make sure all yur ducks are in a row.

hoyboy
01-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Like this?

http://www.heftee.com/products/products.cfm

LASTEC
01-14-2004, 09:42 PM
We have a electric lift stand built on the front of our mower. it works on any surface and lifts the mower enough you get a impact in there to change the blades... If i knew how to put a pic on here i would show it, but i just started on the site and have not learned the tricks yet.

burnandreturn
01-14-2004, 10:27 PM
The basic concept is the same as in a forklift arrangement but built differently and doesn't use hydraulics or a winch. Heftee is a good product but expensive. I'm not saying it's not worth the money but out of the reach of most LCO's for maintenence.

dgram8
01-14-2004, 10:54 PM
It would be well invested will pay for it self , just figure out what you speed having someone else work on them . It may seem like alot to spend but it a tax right off ! If you have time work on others or rent the use to them.

olderthandirt
01-14-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by lawndoctorllc
There is a market for anything that you can imagine. The only problem is finding your customers.

But to answer your question. If it could be small and against the wall in a shop sure I would look into it. (Would be great for older folks too) Olderthandirt might be your first customer. lol

Not me, I hire me a good young mechanic to do that kind of work:D

Mac

burnandreturn
01-16-2004, 08:17 PM
I agree about the lab testing and certification. The liablilty factor I agree is always a big issue these days.

I told the wife I thaught I could modify this lift to go on a trailer or truck so I could back up to a yard and lower my big mowers over the fence of people with small gates. I loved the idea of not having to use a WB or push mower!!!!! I was informed that she would hire someone else to do our yard if I pursued the idea. Of course I informed her she had no vision, bla bla bla,. I just got back from the chiropractor, back always hurts when I sleep on the couch!!!!!!!!

turfmower
01-16-2004, 08:30 PM
this is the lift i use

http://www.madhousemanagement.com/lifts_stands/handy.html

xcopterdoc
01-16-2004, 09:29 PM
yeah... that Heftee rig is a nice set up! Also I'd like to say I'm not knocking the idea of making a lift to sell. I was just saying that there is a lot more involved in it than just the idea and production. Whenever you produce something that is going to lift heavy stuff overhead, and people will be working under or near it, it makes govt safety geek type dudes nervous! Just look at all the safety switches on a ZTR! Why? cuz some jack rabbit got off the mower with it running and decided to clear the chute with his hand! DUH! So now companies have to protect the operators from themselves!

burnandreturn
01-16-2004, 09:45 PM
I appreciate the heads up on the liablilty issue. I have 69 patents on a wide spectrum of products. Having an idea and building a prototype is the easiest part of bringing a product to market. Once the testing and insurance and lawyers get involved the fun sure goes out of the project!!!!!!!!!!!! Having said that, I love the whole thing of thinking up a new or improved "thing" and watching it come to life. I've learned the best is to build a prototype and then sell it to another company to bring it to the market. I love the thinking and tinkering phase, I hate the "suits".

xcopterdoc
01-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Sounds like ya got a handle on it Burnandreturn! I have built several things I would like to pat. also but I have no idea how to do it! Always sounded like a hassel so I passed on it!

burnandreturn
01-17-2004, 12:39 AM
The patent process is not so bad but patent infringement is the big headache. You can go broke trying to protect your patent. That's why it's better to liciense the patent to a big company and collect fee's. That also has it's drawbacks if they aren't honest.
I had one patent attourney in Germany meet behind my back with a company that did prototype work for me. They were trying to cut the "dumb" american out of the loop. Got um both!!!!!!!!