PDA

View Full Version : Please Read

Sean Adams
01-13-2004, 11:19 AM
I have received a few emails in the last couple days regarding the content of LawnSite.com. A few people have brought to my attention that at times, the language is a bit too "colorful" for a professional forum.

Now I know it is that time of the year. There are thousands of people accessing the site and it is a time for some to unwind and shoot the breeze and have normal discussions. Some people make it part of their nature to use foul language in their everyday speech. I'm not condemning this, just pointing out that this site needs to remain as clean as possible and professional.

I know that sometimes it is easier to make your point throwing in a $#%^ here and a @*%! there. However, I would appreciate it if we could try to keep "off topic" conversation in the off topic forum and "colorful" language to a minimum.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just don't want things to get out of hand.

Thanks Everyone!

Doc Pete
01-13-2004, 12:45 PM
If they can use the "F" word in goverment speeches, and the word "Ass" all the time on public TV, you really need to rethink what you are asking. As a professional forum, 13 year old kids or whoever you are worried about offending shouldn't be on the forum.
DP

Sean Adams
01-13-2004, 08:01 PM
The politician who used the "f" word paid for it and apologized repeatedly.

The word "ass" may be used on public TV, but it is almost always comedy related.

Doc Pete
01-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Sean Adams
The politician who used the "f" word paid for it and apologized repeatedly.
The word "ass" may be used on public TV, but it is almost always comedy related.

For some reason, men can't seem to take being an "Ass" as a plus:p
What ever happen to "names can't hurt me?" I must admit, my wife totally laughs at how we (men) are so macho in public, but so insecure on this/other forums.
DP

Lazer_Z
01-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Sean,

I try to keep myself in control there have been a few times i "flew off the handle" and i see your point so consider me undercontrol and keep up the good work

Team Gopher
01-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi Sean,

Thanks again for running such a great site!

crawdad
01-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Doc Pete
If they can use the "F" word in goverment speeches, and the word "Ass" all the time on public TV, you really need to rethink what you are asking. As a professional forum, 13 year old kids or whoever you are worried about offending shouldn't be on the forum.
DP

I agree. If "colorful" language bothers these folks, they should go to http://www.sesamestreet.com as it seems that's all they can handle.
Crawdad

mtdman
01-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Aren't all these words blocked anyway?

vipermanz
01-15-2004, 05:54 AM
Mtdmaster,
most all profanty related words are blocked by lawnsite's censoring system, i believe the term "ass" is an exception because it would accidently block the word "grass" because it contained an "ass"...":D

naturescape
01-15-2004, 12:42 PM
I myself think that Lawnsite is a bit on the conservative side when it comes to language. I really don't need this forum to be this "clean", there is enough censorship, self-imposed and otherwise, elsewhere.

But no matter how one looks at it, Lawnsite remains a great tool.

John Gamba
01-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi Sean

Sean Adams
01-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys....I know what you mean. Even though words are hidden through our system, I guess it is just the point of having to use that kind of language. Again, I'm not condemning it, cause everyone has to rattle off a few explitives now and again. I'm just trying to keep it clean....not as clean as crawdad's site, but clean nonetheless.

J&R
01-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Sean you could male a stand right now and say no more bad words on your site. This is why. In this day and time if the US keeps leting small thing like these words get by whats next. So stand up and say NO MORE!

AztlanLC
01-16-2004, 10:07 AM
I tihink you should direct this personally to the people causing the problem.
Some people around uses the F word and some other, with the only intention to offend someone, some uses it to make a point, I hope I'm not in any of those 2 categories, but if I'm and you have a problem with me, e-mail me pm me and then trow me out of this forum.

The other problem is those that have nothing to do, but to star posting all kinds of things, giving advice to something they don't have any idea of, those that lie and get prove and remain posting whetever they want, you have to also watch out for them, because what makes this site so great is the content.

thfireman
01-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Here is another reason I don't think there should be rooms not visible to others.

If the moderator of that thread invites you in and then I have left my opinions on that site I feel that those are my opinions that I was invited to lput on that thread. Then the Moderator can block me out at any time and who knows what slander or other lies they tell about me or my opinions. It just is not right.

If they do not want me to post anymore that is fine. Block me from posting but do not prevent us from knowing what else is being said about other members. This only is an option for the elite obviously. So I have once again posted my opinions.

:confused:

leadarrows
01-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Nobody is wasting there time bashing members that aren't in the private sections I can assure you. There was a request made to turn out the rats that are trying to spoil the fun but that request was denied. The threads that are invitation only give us working stiffs a place to blow off steam with out offending the larger membership. It's a good idea and Odin and Charles were the perfect choices to run them. Every things fine the way it is In my opinion. If your worried about being talked about ...... well I think you worry to much. LOL We have better things to do. W is the only one who has a legitimate worry. LOL

KLMlawn
01-17-2004, 01:10 PM

And your point being?

Try to loosen up a little .............

Sean Adams
01-17-2004, 01:32 PM
The individual forums were not created for members to sneak around and discuss oneanother...it was created so certain people who like to discuss politics could do so, because many members have noted that the off topic forum too often was littered with political discussions.

As far as me "loosening up", I try....I am doing my best to keep everyone as happy as can be. That's all I want....can't we all just get along? can't we just be one big happy "green" family sharing knowledge, love, and adoration with oneantoher? Can't we all just work hand in hand to create a lawn and landscape utopia that does not exist elsewhere? Can't we all just.....nevermind. I'm just being a (fill in the blank).

See KLMLawn, I can "loosen up"....:D

mtdman
01-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Personally, I think swearing has nothing to do with professionalism. I've heard lawyers and doctors and other professional people swear up a storm and make a sailor look tame. If all the swear words are blocked but ass, because of grass, then what's the big deal? Can't use 'em anyway, it's a non-issue.

And secondly, what are these secret hidden forums everyone is talking about?

chuckwk
01-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by mtdmaster
Personally, I think swearing has nothing to do with professionalism. I've heard lawyers and doctors and other professional people swear up a storm and make a sailor look tame. If all the swear words are blocked but ass, because of grass, then what's the big deal? Can't use 'em anyway, it's a non-issue.

And secondly, what are these secret hidden forums everyone is talking about?

Personally, I think swearing has everything to do with professionalism. A close personal friend of mine is a top dog attorney... (former district attorney) ... When he is not working this guy is a blast, life of the party... when he puts that suit and tie on its pure business, his personality flops 180 degrees... VERY professional and to the point. I used to make it a point to attend his trial cases and have even went to business 'party' occasions/dinners.... always remains professional, etc... never heard a swear word from his mouth when that suit is on... but, when we get a chance to hang out its f' this, f' that, you order I'm buying. I think, when your in a professional lawn care forum... you should have your suit on. ??

"If all the swear words are blocked but ass, because of grass, then what's the big deal? Can't use 'em anyway, it's a non-issue."

That's not how it works... we can block the word ass if we wanted to.. has nothing to do with the word grass... We can censor more accurately by placing a censor word in curly braces, as in {dog}. Signifying "dog" in the curly braces would mean that dogma would appear as dogma, but dog would appear as "***".

"And secondly, what are these secret hidden forums everyone is talking about?"

I don't like to refer these as a 'secret'... Like leadarrows said.. its just a place where the controversy junkies like to brew up storms and blow off steam about their political views, etc. .. topics that generally, in the past... caused to many problems because when some people see them and disagree... they get mad, I guess because they don't even like to know that opinions that go against their beliefs exist. .... yea, they debate with each other, get in verbal fights, tick one another off... maybe call one another a real bad name.. but, in the end they are all friends and enjoy the fights, enjoy rubbing their beliefs in each others faces, and still enjoy all their company when the day is over... a few people who had joined these conversations could not handle it, got upset, etc.. I guess these are not for people who can have their feelings hurt or hold a grudge.. and, if they want to hold a grudge they had better be able to keep dishing it and receiving it.

Politics!? Who NEEDS it??! I can't stand political talk! UGH! I don't see why anyone would get sooo worked up over politics!

KirbysLawn
01-17-2004, 03:49 PM
If you read closely I think you will see Roger is saying he was invited in, gave his opinion on a subject, was the revomed from the "approved" list, and now no one will answer his question.

That's the way I read it.

chuckwk
01-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
If you read closely I think you will see Roger is saying he was invited in, gave his opinion on a subject, was the revomed from the "approved" list, and now no one will answer his question.

I'm not aware of the circumstances behind this... but, I think the only way somebody would first be asked in, then removed is if that person expressed (to mod or admin) any sort of discomfort or animosity toward the topic content... or, simply could not stomach their crap.

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn

He Complained! And thats what the threads are there for, People who can DISH it out AND TAKE IT!!!!

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chuckwk
[B]Personally, I think swearing has everything to do with professionalism. A close personal friend of mine is a top dog attorney... (former district attorney) ... When he is not working this guy is a blast, life of the party... when he puts that suit and tie on its pure business, his personality flops 180 degrees... VERY professional and to the point. I used to make it a point to attend his trial cases and have even went to business 'party' occasions/dinners.... always remains professional, etc... never heard a swear word from his mouth when that suit is on... but, when we get a chance to hang out its f' this, f' that, you order I'm buying. I think, when your in a professional lawn care forum... you should have your suit on. ?

Yeah Like I Do!!
John

"

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 04:52 PM
W is the only one who has a legitimate worry.
Yeah Right!

mtdman
01-17-2004, 04:54 PM
I wonder how often when Lawyers and Doctors go out after a long day at work they sit around and speak the proper King's English and refrain from swearing? I see this place as a gathering area for people in the industry, where people can be real and ask relavent industry questions. If we are going to be picky about swearing, let's also get on folks that don't use punctuation, can't spell, or write or don't make sense. I find the people who can't properly put together sentences more of a problem than those that use words which are already blocked. Not that it makes a difference to me about the swearing, if I am asked not to by the people who own/administer this site, I can comply. I just don't see it as a problem if a swear word is blocked anyway, unless people are working around the blocks.

Secondly, my question of where has not been answered. Where are these forums where people talk politics and get into political debates?

leadarrows
01-17-2004, 04:58 PM
I meant about getting bashed in those forums with out being able to defend him self because he's not able to view those threads.

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by leadarrows
I meant about getting bashed in those forums with out being able to defend him self because he's not able to view those threads.

Im just kidding, But the threads were created so this bickering would stop. Its because of a couple of members that its an issue again.
John

leadarrows
01-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Whats going on in that picture anyway?

Southpaw
01-18-2004, 05:31 AM
Oh Man, I hope this post does not get deleted because I am speaking the truth here.

Some of the previous comments have a direct correlation with me and my short membership in these 'other' forums. If we are going to be honest about it then let me speak, Please.

I came to the other forums, enjoyed it and participated in banter and name calling, just like what was described. However, I made the mistake of not knowing that there were no rules whatsoever and nothing was considered taboo.

Some argued back and forth but I have to disagree that everybody ended up being good friends at the end of the conversation. It is not really a matter of some members being to sensitive or "not having the stomach" as it was mentioned above. It was more about the fact that there are no boundaries whatsoever unless the moderator deems it so on a whim and a whim only. To have a political debate or to have a disagreement is one thing, but to read a character asassination of a long time female member for no reason is another. If we are going to be honest, then please let this post remain. If you guys are going to honestly talk about harsh language, then please don't let good members be accused of beastiality in the same breath. Most of the members of this other forum did not see this post because I, yes I, clicked on the report this to moderator button and it was quickly deleted. This must have caused quite a controversy and here is why. It was deleted before most of the members of this forum could read it. However, other posts were made about the guy that clicked on the button. Without being able to read what was originally posted, they were told by the moderator that somebody was a rat. That was me and I will not apologize about it. It blows my mind that things can get so blown out of proportion like this. The thread was cleaned up and closed out. However, the thread was opened back up once I was locked out. I know this to be a fact, because I still got emails about responses to that particular thread. I tried to post a response telling everybody that I was the "rat", but I was already locked out. I did not want anybody to speculate that any other member of this forum was the dirty rat, because it was me.

So to make a long story short: If you think it is cool or macho or funny to read about friends of yours being compared to acts of beastiality, then go have some fun. If absolutely nothing offends you, then go for it. However, if your opinion is not conforming to the moderator of these other forums, you are at their mercy. If you want to remain a member in good standing of these forums, for God's sake, never ever push the button called Report this Post to a Moderator. I don't even know why they have that button made available in those forums, but they do.

So if a thread is going to be started about harsh language asking it to be toned down, then beastiality posts pointed at repspected members should be toned down also. Without having to use the report to moderator button. It really sucks even worse that the person that clicked that button got booted, but the person that made that offensive post suffered no consequences. If that is what you guys refer to as professionalism, then I think this world is screwed up.

John Gamba
01-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Southpaw
Oh Man, I hope this post does not get deleted because I am speaking the truth here.

Some of the previous comments have a direct correlation with me and my short membership in these 'other' forums. If we are going to be honest about it then let me speak, Please.

I came to the other forums, enjoyed it and participated in banter and name calling, just like what was described. However, I made the mistake of not knowing that there were no rules whatsoever and nothing was considered taboo.

Some argued back and forth but I have to disagree that everybody ended up being good friends at the end of the conversation. It is not really a matter of some members being to sensitive or "not having the stomach" as it was mentioned above. It was more about the fact that there are no boundaries whatsoever unless the moderator deems it so on a whim and a whim only. To have a political debate or to have a disagreement is one thing, but to read a character asassination of a long time female member for no reason is another. If we are going to be honest, then please let this post remain. If you guys are going to honestly talk about harsh language, then please don't let good members be accused of beastiality in the same breath. Most of the members of this other forum did not see this post because I, yes I, clicked on the report this to moderator button and it was quickly deleted. This must have caused quite a controversy and here is why. It was deleted before most of the members of this forum could read it. However, other posts were made about the guy that clicked on the button. Without being able to read what was originally posted, they were told by the moderator that somebody was a rat. That was me and I will not apologize about it. It blows my mind that things can get so blown out of proportion like this. The thread was cleaned up and closed out. However, the thread was opened back up once I was locked out. I know this to be a fact, because I still got emails about responses to that particular thread. I tried to post a response telling everybody that I was the "rat", but I was already locked out. I did not want anybody to speculate that any other member of this forum was the dirty rat, because it was me.

So to make a long story short: If you think it is cool or macho or funny to read about friends of yours being compared to acts of beastiality, then go have some fun. If absolutely nothing offends you, then go for it. However, if your opinion is not conforming to the moderator of these other forums, you are at their mercy. If you want to remain a member in good standing of these forums, for God's sake, never ever push the button called Report this Post to a Moderator. I don't even know why they have that button made available in those forums, but they do.

So if a thread is going to be started about harsh language asking it to be toned down, then beastiality posts pointed at repspected members should be toned down also. Without having to use the report to moderator button. It really sucks even worse that the person that clicked that button got booted, but the person that made that offensive post suffered no consequences. If that is what you guys refer to as professionalism, then I think this world is screwed up.

SEE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Southpaw
01-18-2004, 12:44 PM
This is exactly what I was talking about. If this post were made in the private forum, I would not be able to respond to this.

I don't care what names I am called. I don't care what kind of emoticons are used to bash my character.

But for people to say someone doesn't 'have the stomach' to be there is misguided. It is the fact that they aren't given the choice as to whether they want to respond. If an opinion is stated that does not conform, their chance to respond is taken away from them.

The last post by John Gamba is clearly making a statement. I could respond by calling him names and continue with negative posts as well. However, what is the point? Does whoever call somebody the most names and escalate it to vulgarities win the debate?

Charles
01-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Southpaw, that "Female member" you keep referring to is still in odins and my forum and STILL as far as I know enjoying them. NO complaints from her

Doc Pete
01-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by chuckwk
I think, when your in a professional lawn care forum... you should have your suit on.

There's the problem in a nutshell. To attempt to consider "This" or any other "Internet medium” a “Profession area” is ridiculous. Just look how this post has already changed.
DP

Southpaw
01-18-2004, 01:38 PM
I never said that member had any complaints, Charles. I know that she can take up for herself. That was not my problem no matter how you try to spin it.

What I am saying is that several posts have been made, including this thread that the private forums may not be for everybody. It is so easy to label somebody, then ban their ability to respond.

I read in another thread that you were recruiting new members to your private forum. I have no problem with that. But why not be honest and tell them that if you don't like what they post, you will just boot them out on a whim?

Mikes Lawn Landscape
01-18-2004, 02:48 PM
. I'm not condemning this, just pointing out that this site needs to remain as clean as possible and professional.

If you want to clean it up and make it professional you need to start doing it ! Posting a please watch the potty mouth post aint gonna do it

John Gamba
01-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Now This is the Lawnsite i Remember:D

thfireman
01-18-2004, 05:55 PM
Hey Charles and Odin,

Since you finally came out from the private area where you would not let me respond to what ever the reason was for booting me how about being a man now and answer all the PM's I have sent you. So far you have not had the nads enough to tell me why?

Here are copies of all the PM's I sent you just so you won't have to go back and look em up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
PM's to Charles
---------------------------------------------------------------------
01-16-2004 04:29 PM
???
Charles,

Have I been booted out of your forum for a reason or is there a tech problem with it?

Thfireman

--------------------

01-17-2004 09:39 AM
Am I out?
Have I been banned from your thread?

----------------------------

01-17-2004 10:15 AM

Why won't you at least answer me once?
I have sent you 2 PM's and you have opened both. Why don't you answer me? All I am asking is for an explanation of why I am blocked from your Thread. I would like to know so I can not make the same mistake later.

PM's to Odin00

01-17-2004 06:59 PM
Why?
OK, Can you tell me why I am booted from your and Charles's forum?

Thanks

---------------------------

01-18-2004 12:18 AM
Important!
Maybe my first PM didn't go thru,,,

Could you please explain why I was booted from your threads? All I want is an honest answer and I will be done. I have been patient and asked several times but I have yet to get the courtesy of an answer.

Thank you,
Roger

Southpaw
01-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Now that we are being honest and reminiscent, I will say one more thing and leave this thread alone. That goes for all other threads on this topic as well.

As far as the name calling such as crybaby and so forth:

I have never read so many posts from one member that bashes George W. Bush. Let's face some facts. He may not have recieved the most votes, but our country uses a system called the electoral college. Whether a person likes it or not, the winner will reside in the White House for four years. Most likely, the incumbent today will probably be there for another four years after the elections in November of this year.

Making post after whiney post will not change this fact. The popular nickname on this site for the sitting president is now known as King W. Well, at least this king was elected and not appointed.

Now we have a private forum at this website. This forum is by invitation only based on the whims of the forum moderator. If this person wants you there, you get an invitation, if he doesn't want you there, you are not allowed. Once you are there, your posts and your membership are allowed to remain at the sole discretion of this one person. There is no vote by other members allowed. This is nothing less than a form of dictatorship. For someone to claim that our elected President is a King, then how about our newest dictator. I think this power has gone to his head. I wouldn't be suprised if he dresses in fatigues and calls himself Fidel Castro. So Hooray for calling a spade a spade.

This thread was started to ask the members to stop with the foul language and I agree wholeheartedly. Now that a twist on the original topic has been introduced with the use of :cry: emoticons, let the members of this forum decide who the real :cry: is. Call it special treatment for special service to the forum if you want, but making hundreds of posts that do nothing but :cry: is nothing special to me.

thfireman
01-18-2004, 06:09 PM
What is up with the email buttons. I cant email other members to privately discuss topics? Is there a block on them because maybe because certain members.......

Quote from Chuck: "simply could not stomach their crap."?

Maybe it is just a technical problem... I dunno but it would be nice not to have to PM every one and ask them to contact me.

:confused:

chuckwk
01-18-2004, 06:12 PM
ugh, I'm closing this crap... Sean can open it back up if he wants, but.. until I get around to soaking up all the tears and ringing out an answer that will make everyone 'happy'... ugh.