PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Support

The Happy Gardner
01-13-2004, 02:16 PM
I've learned that dealer support is phenomenally important in our business! :cool: But I want my cake and be able to eat it to. Price and support.

I am looking at buying $10,000 + worth of equipment this year in one sitting. My local dealer is roughly 10% higher than another thats 90 miles away. Do the math! Thats 4 hours driving $250 per hour.
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
I should add in my dealers defense most of its is due to the tax structures of two different states.:(
Now my problem. Something brakes I need service from my local dealer not the one 2 hours away. Is that worth $1,000 +????

Question: In a lot of industries most of the money made by the dealer is on warranty work and post warranty work. Is that true in this one???? If so this wouldn't be so bad for my local guy. On the sale price I always push as far as I can anyways, there can't be that much profit in just the sale alone.

One last thing. My contact at the local dealer is the owner so there's no problem with commission.

J.Gordon
01-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Get a backup mower just in case you have a breakdown.
It might take the local dealer 3-weeks to fix it.(that is if he will fix it)

mtdman
01-13-2004, 03:29 PM
I have a dealer that I've used since day 1. These guys are great. When I had to put a belt on my snow blower last week, these guys did it for me for half the labor charge and then dropped the thing off at my house because I couldn't pick it up. They always go outta their way for me, and I dig 'em for that. But they don't deal many of the brands discussed here. I have thought about going elsewhere for my next mower purchase, but the other dealers around are not as reliable, not as willing to help. I would rather buy equipment from my tried and true dealer that's going to offer the excellent extras than go with an unknown quantity in a new dealer.

But that's just me.

rodfather
01-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by The Happy Gardner

Question: In a lot of industries most of the money made by the dealer is on warranty work and post warranty work. Is that true in this one????

Yes, as much as 60% of their net profit comes from shop activities and parts markup. I know this for a fact...