PDA

View Full Version : Scag hydro vs Exmark Hydro (walkbehind)

2k1yzfr1
01-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Since the deal fell through with the bobcat hydro walkbehind I'm needing a new walkbehind. I have narrowed it down to 2.....the first one is a Exmark TTHP 48" 17 kawa, mulch kit with less than 125 hrs (excellent shape) for 3,000 and $75 fuel to go get the thing. Or a brand new 48 scag hydro fixed with a 17 kawa for $3788 after taxes from my dealer. I have a 36" scag and 36" exmark metro ECS right now and really like both mowers. As of right now I'm not sure the warranty status of the Exmark as to if it can be put into my name. The person from exmark on the phone this morning said, "if my dealer checked it out and found that there were no known problems they would transfer it," but the reply I received last night on the exmark forum is they doubt it would transfer. Which mower would you choose?? and why??

2k1yzfr1
01-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Does anyone have a opinion on which is the the better price?? The new fixed for 3788 or the used floating for 3000?? How much extra is the floating deck compared to the fixed deck?? :confused:

FrankenScagMachines
01-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Exmark. Much better value (more machine, less money). Nothing wrong with Scag necessarily but the eXmark is just better! Youíll like the floating deck on a 3 blade deck it makes a difference. Warranty is for mowers that break down- eXmarks donít need warranty.

BOTURF
01-13-2004, 10:23 PM
fsm , it amazes me that just one year ago you would have said the same thing about scag that your now saying about eXmark and how great they are , dont get me wrong as i think they are both great machines in there own right , but i guess if you would have bought a decent scag to begin with and not buying burned up junk you would have stayed with scag

2k remember dealer support is very important in your decision on what to buy

FrankenScagMachines
01-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Boturf, in case you were not aware I have owned 3 scags. The first was burnt up and I planned to rebuild it but a more appealing deal came along to trade it. A year ago I bought a Scag walk behind, it did well but it was old and worn out and needed more power and a better deck design. Therefore I do not trash talk newer Scags because I know they would not have these problems. I also had a Scag rider that was a pretty good machine, in great shape. I loved it but only sold it because it wasnít helping me on the lawns I had and I needed the money. I have never trash talked either of those machines because they were fine for what they were. But the eXmark is simply so much better, and I do know that the new Scags are pretty much comparable, I donít exactly compare my older Scags to my eXmark. I just simply say comparing it to nothing, the eXmark is still awesome. I have none of the issues with it that Iíve had with my other mowers or that other guys have had with their ďother brandĒ mowers, be it Scag or whatever. I have friends that have tried it and liked it much better than their Scags too. Lots of guys on here prefer them. I am not just bragging because itís what I currently own. Iím bragging because itís earned it. I would have stayed with Scag if Iíd found this good of a deal on a comparable model, but I didnít. I found this deal and I knew that eXmark had an awesome reputation and after I tried it out I said this is awesome! If you want to talk smack about me fine but know that there are lots of other people that agree with me.

2k1yzfr1
01-13-2004, 10:47 PM
PM button :D

Turf Medic
01-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Is the Exmark at a dealer or private party? If it is private why is the guy selling it?

2k1yzfr1
01-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Private party .....he is getting out of parttime lawncare b/c of lack of time

BOTURF
01-13-2004, 10:58 PM
not talking smack fsm just my observation from someone who dosnt say much . i I have been running scag since 1993 and havent had much trouble at all , But i only mow 60 accounts every week so they dont get much of a workout .lol

FrankenScagMachines
01-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
Exmark. Much better value (more machine, less money). Nothing wrong with Scag necessarily but the eXmark is just better! Youíll like the floating deck on a 3 blade deck it makes a difference. Warranty is for mowers that break down- eXmarks donít need warranty.

You know I went and re-read my reply. I never said anything was wrong with that Scag Iím sure itís a great deal. But warranty aside youíre getting more for your money with that Exmark in this particular instance. Floating deck, mulch kit, and about $700 cheaper. Sure it has a few hours and no warranty, big deal. How often do mowers break down within the warranty period? Do you think that any of the breakdowns in the warranty period would exceed $700? See my logic? If they were switched places and it was a Scag floater w/mulcher and cheaper I might have said go get it.

Turf Medic
01-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Have you gotten a chance to check out his other equipment ie truck, trailer to see if he takes care of his equipment?

2k1yzfr1
01-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Yeah I have brought myself to that conclusion also. Plus everything else on (soon to be in) my trailer is red...don't want an odd-ball colored mower. :D

2k1yzfr1
01-13-2004, 11:03 PM
Not yet, but from the looks of the mower and talking to the guy I think it is a great mower. There are about 642 miles seperating me and the mower at the moment. All that I have seen are pictures that he has sent me.

BOTURF
01-13-2004, 11:05 PM
fsm you maybe right but like i said to him dealer support is very important, you could have the best eXmark that they build or scag for that matter but without dealer support backing you no machine what ever brand it is worth anything

FrankenScagMachines
01-13-2004, 11:22 PM
That's very true. Actually I hate our eXmark dealer but love our Scag dealer. How ironic. Anyway, I do all my own repairs so it makes no diference to me. I can get most parts from other sources so i never talk to my eXmark dealer.

FrankenScagMachines
01-13-2004, 11:23 PM
BTW where in Indiana are you? I'm in Columbus.

BOTURF
01-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Muncie Indiana Area I run in 4 different towns or cities in muncie area

FrankenScagMachines
01-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Oh ok, not too far away then. We ought to get together sometime.

2k1yzfr1
01-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Well the Exmark was sold..........does the scag sound like a good deal for 3500?? How much is a 48 fixed hydro 17 kawasaki cost new???

BOTURF
01-14-2004, 10:49 PM
we will have to do that sometime in future fsm , i have a good friend who works in columbus for a morgage company , he just moved there last year , have know him for over 20 years plus

FrankenScagMachines
01-14-2004, 10:56 PM
cool, who's his employer?

Turf Medic
01-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by 2k1yzfr1
Well the Exmark was sold..........does the scag sound like a good deal for 3500?? How much is a 48 fixed hydro 17 kawasaki cost new???

Was the exmark you were looking at the one on Ebay in KC? I had bid on that one, figured you must have been the one to get the guy to end the auction early.

2k1yzfr1
01-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Yep that was the one........I called him last night and offered him $3000 for it and he said that someone emailed him yesterday saying he would give him $3250 for it.......anyways the guy from St Louis is picking it up on saturday. It was one clean mower I wish I could have had it, but oh well. The seller post on here I don't know his name though?? I saw your bid on ebay last night, but from what he was telling me on the phone last night the guy from St Louis bought it.

MTR
01-15-2004, 01:19 AM
eXmark TTHP 48/17 is one of the most popular WB, for $3250 with 125 hrs, that is very good as new one can be had @ $ 4650, so who ever bought at 3k is a deal.
You asked who is the best, of course eXmark TTHP 48/17, Scag fixed deck and pistol hydro is no match to ECS on eXmark floating 48/17...
You should compare something equally.

BOTURF
01-15-2004, 07:47 AM
fsm cant find his business card at the time , i will ask him when i talk to him again

Turf Medic
01-15-2004, 09:06 AM
yeah that was a real good deal, it also included the mulch kit and 5 sets of blades, I had planned on going as high as 3500

FrankenScagMachines
01-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by BOTURF
fsm cant find his business card at the time , i will ask him when i talk to him again
ok