PDA

View Full Version : customer came to my house

bobbygedd
01-13-2004, 11:25 PM
what would your feelings be? mad? don't care? i have a customer who only lives about a mile from me. he's about 80 yrs old, and under the "grandfather claus". this means, that when i started at his property about 7 yrs ago, the agreement was "if it don't need it, don't cut it, use your judgement". well, didn't need it 2 weeks in a row, and i kind of got caught up with other things, i tend to prioritise, my every weekers come first, then we got alot of side work, and a month later, it still wasn't cut. one day my son comes in, "hey dad, theres some guy outside lookin for you." well, it was him. "what the hell is going on? i got lions living in my grass, its high as a jungle." would you get mad cus he came to your house?

troblandscape
01-13-2004, 11:28 PM
nah, he is too old to get mad at

Avery
01-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Nope. Not if he waited that long. This is the biggest reason I do not do work for neighbors. I would drop the account though.

Tonyr
01-13-2004, 11:38 PM
lions eh?

Ask for danger money!

Crikey, you Americans get all the good, exciting, adventurous jobs!

bayfish
01-13-2004, 11:40 PM
"Lions living in my grass" ...thats a classic. It would be hard to get mad at this guy.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-13-2004, 11:42 PM
i like when customers drop the check in my mailbox
stamp .37
gas 1.55 gal
what is cheaper ?
if 1 stops 2 bother me they are told 2 call and i will get back 2 them if they dont get the hind they get the boot

bobbygedd
01-13-2004, 11:47 PM
actually, i felt like an azz when i saw who it was, then i started laughing when he said about the lions. i told him i got backed up, i'll be by first thing in am, he said, "if u aint, i'm commin back to get you."

awm
01-13-2004, 11:52 PM
got to take care ofum bobby .. u gotta loveim.. that dont mean i wouldnt dish it rite back at him tho,,if he just plain ugly about it.... if he can dish it out ,,he better be ready to take it..but id gettim soon as i could..

bayfish
01-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
actually, i felt like an azz when i saw who it was, then i started laughing when he said about the lions. i told him i got backed up, i'll be by first thing in am, he said, "if u aint, i'm commin back to get you."

Bobby...Tell him " I'll be there, just don't make me look bad in front of my boy." LOL

nelbuts
01-14-2004, 12:35 AM
LIONS, TIGERS, and BEARS!!! OH MY!!!

:eek:

the scaper
01-14-2004, 12:37 AM
i'd go ahead and do it but i'd be very up front about mulching lions being an extra.

Runner
01-14-2004, 01:32 AM
Sounds like a great customer, to me. I mean that sincerely. Frankly, I love most of the older ones like that.

JimLewis
01-14-2004, 03:21 AM
LOL. That guy sounds great! I think it's cool as heck that he had the gumption to call you on your [lack of] service. I'm no genius, but if it's okay for you to bug them at their house when they don't pay then it stands to reason that it should be okay for them to come bug you at your house when you don't mow.

In this situation, I think it's perfectly acceptable. In other situations (people coming to your door buggin you about sensless crap) then I'd begin to think that wasn't cool.

mtdman
01-14-2004, 03:34 AM
If the guy was cool about it, I guess I wouldn't care. If it was someone that was less than nice, I would get upset. I guess it depends. In general, I don't like it when customers call my house even.

:D

walker-talker
01-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Sounds like it was your wrong and he was there to make it right...no problem with that. Like Jim said...if it was senseless, like "you forgot to close my gate", then I would say that is something different.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Old guys like that probably dont have anything better to do. Keeps him off the streets.

little green guy
01-14-2004, 11:27 AM
I sure hope that he's gonna bring the lions inside when you come to mow. I all my contracts it states that all lions and tigers must be properly restained indoors or in a secure cage when we come to service the property or we leave. Hey thats just how it is.

LawnPerfect
01-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Gotta love em like that. Sounds like he would be a good customer to upsell more services.

bobbygedd
01-14-2004, 11:52 AM
he's a very nice guy. they always invite me in for a chat, but, for some reason, 10 minutes later it seems like they want me to leave. they want to hand me the check rather than mail it, and they always throw in anywhere from $5-$20 extra. very nice people, and i do the neighbor too. the only bad thing about this guy(and it's not that bad, he's really very nice) is that he calls the shots. he wants to tell me when to aerate, thatch, seed, etc. and it's usually wrong, but he insists, so i do it. he wont water till its 110 degrees, and the lawn is already hammered. then he wants me to treat the weeds that have taken over for the dead grass, then 3 days later he wants me to seed, then in spring he wants aeration and seed.......it's a tail chasing event, he wont listen to logic, but he pays and is very nice.

LB Landscaping
01-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Yeah don't kick his ass Bobby (LOL). I'd let it slide, seems like for the little trouble he may be it's worth it.

naturescape
01-14-2004, 12:55 PM
"what the hell is going on? i got lions living in my grass, its high as a jungle."

In terms of turf being too high for the customer, I also like this line I heard about 15 years ago: "My grass is waving at me." This customer CALLED tho.

awm
01-14-2004, 12:59 PM
bobby hes at an age when more than one trusted friend or family member ,, not to mention all the legitimate con men,, have tried to take a little of his moolah.. its possible anyway.. good luck bud

mbricker
01-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey Bobby you have to admit you dropped the ball by not getting it mowed. As far as him coming by your house, my guess is he thought maybe he had made you mad about something (which would be the reason you didn't go mow). So he figured if he phoned, you would check the caller ID and not answer. Or not return his call if he left msg on machine.

Sounds like he's really a fairly easy person to work for, except the part about always wanting you to do stuff at the wrong time of year etc.

I would apologize and keep up with his lawn a litlle better from now on.

olderthandirt
01-14-2004, 01:45 PM
He was probably calling you out, but rather than get your azz kicked you caved in. LOL Got to keep those 80 yr. olds on there toes.

Mac

indmowing
01-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Gosh I just love Old People. They seem to have such a unique perspective.

It sounds like you have been doing this guys lawn for some time Bobby. The thing with business is to the customer it isn't always just business. They become familiar with you.

At 80 years old, they generally don't take to much cr@p either lol

I personally wouldn't worry about it. But I have heard some stories of customers visiting contractors houses and it hasn't ended as well as this.

Ebony

jajwrigh
01-14-2004, 07:26 PM
just role with it ....

kootoomootoo
01-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Probably read on here in 6 months where the old guy has died and left bobby a sweet inheritence.

pcnservices
01-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Bobby,
I "heard" that he ( the old man) has not fed the lions for a few weeks now - cannot wade through the tall grass to feed them lions. They are pretty hungry by now. Take a few Coors along for your safari.
PC

sgreanbean
01-15-2004, 09:37 AM
as long as he pays, id get a kick outa those old timers, i had a couple in the past and they were great! but remember this, they are short term customers, enjoy them while you can. They will remember you!