PDA

View Full Version : Getting JD yellow Deck to stripe better

dirtman
01-14-2004, 11:53 AM
can any one give me any information on how to make my JD Yellow Deck 48" stripe better. I keep my blades sharp and cut at 3". Any information would be help full.
Also how often do you sharpen your blades.
Thanks
:blob3:

LawnPerfect
01-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Maybe try a roller behind the deck.
I sharpen my blades after 15 hours of use. (Every other day during heavy growth.)

Chris Wagner
01-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Might want to check the pitch of the deck and perhaps what type of blade you are using. High lift blades seem to stripe better for me.

Albemarle Lawn
01-14-2004, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't worry about stripes.

That junk 5-spd gearbox will render your whole mower useless, its just a matter of time...

KB:angry:

FrankenScagMachines
01-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Albemarle Lawn
I wouldn't worry about stripes.

That junk 5-spd gearbox will render your whole mower useless, its just a matter of time...

KB:angry:
How do you know he isnít running a front deck machine? I think they had a 525 with a 48Ē deck if Iím not mistaken. For all we know he could be using it on a garden tractor. In any case, for best striping use high lift blades, mow as high as you and your customers feel comfortable with (like 3.5Ē to 4Ē) and donít overlap your passes more than necessary. Turn your blades so they are longways, parallel to the machine and measure the tips on the ends of the blades and you should be getting about 1/8Ē to ľĒ lower measurement in front. If not, figure out how to adjust it so these are the measurements you get. You can measure only the outer two blades, donít worry about the middle one itís too hard to get to and if the side ones are correct it should be too, unless your deck is bent. I mowed a friends yard several times for him during the summer of 2001 I believe and he had a John Deere 316 tractor with a 46Ē deck (yes 46 it was a rare number) and it striped great, we were mowing long fescue at about 4.25Ē with it.

dirtman
01-15-2004, 09:29 AM
thanks for your help. What is so bad about the 5 speed transmission? and does anyone know who makes a roller for a JD 48" Yellow Deck Walk behind. Thanks
:blob3:

FrankenScagMachines
01-15-2004, 10:18 AM
The clutches go bad in it (internal clutches) and the clutches cost a lot to fix and from what I hear the parts arenít too easy to find. If you can find the whole transmission it is also expensive. I was thinking $400-500 for the clutches but donít remember what I was told. I had a 38Ē like yours but sold it before I even fixed it up to use.

No one makes a deck roller for it. Send me an email and I might be able to help you out- eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz