PDA

View Full Version : Cub Commercial - M60

duker99
01-14-2004, 11:19 PM
What is the word on the M60 Tank by Cub Commercial? Solis as a Toro? Better? Looking at a used one (<150 hrs) for residential use - around 3 acres+. 2002 model.

Thoughts please?
Duke

fivestarlawnken
01-14-2004, 11:40 PM
for residential it would be great wouldn't need to buy another mower for many years. As good as toro no. I wouldn't spend more than 5,000++ for it.You can get the same mower just as a Lesco unit for 6600 new.Check out Hustler also they have great prices for their commercial and homeowner units. I feel the homeowner units would be a very good choice almost close to some commercial rigs.........FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Sam-Ohio
01-15-2004, 01:16 AM
The Cub M-60 - has a very good comfortable ride. The front axel can pivot and float, and this helps the ride quality. This axel can be locked - which makes it handle better on steep hillsides, so you can set the unit up according to what conditions are most prevalent in your yard.

The hydro control sticks opperate very smoothly and are very well dampered, so the Cub is not at all jerky or twitchy , and because of this, it is exceptionally easy for a beginer to get used to.

The mower has wheels and rollers on the 4 corners, in the front center and two wide ones that go clear across the rear edge of the deck.

The controls are all up on top where you can see and reach them easily - not behind your legs as some brands are.

The belt from engine to the mower deck runs straight and is not prone to the maintenance issues that occur in the units that twist this belt around 90 deg idler pulleys.

Now the down side :

Did you look at the hydro pumps and wheel motors ? Does this unit have separate pumps and hoses to hydro motors that are in each wheel - or does it have units that combine the pump and motor in a single housing with no hose running to the separate components ? If it uses the combo type hydro drive system, the top ground speed will be about 8 mph, not the 10+ mph you can usually expect from the separate pump/motor type hydro systems. This may not bother you too much, because it can be very rough to go faster, but the fact remains the unit won't be as fast as one that has separate component drive system.

The other thing is that the deck lift lever can be difficult to lift especially for a woman. There is a foot pedal lift on it also, and you will find that they both need to be worked together. Use either alone,and the raising of the mower can be quit a chore. This also is not a deal breaker, since as a home owner, you seldom need to raise the mower, but when you do, it doesn't work as simply and easy as many others do.

Is it the fastest, meanest, toughest machine on planet earth - no ! But it is one of the nicest riding, nicest controling machines made. It has a very good maintenance history, plus it is very good about not scalping or digging a corner of the deck into undulating turf. It probably is good about this because of the floating front axel.

If you can save yourself a couple thousand or more buying this lightly used machine, I think it would be a very good unit for your 3 acres of mowing. It should be able to mow your 3 acre property in less than an hour, maybe 45 minutes depending on conditions and obsticals, so it's likely you will have less than 50 hours use on it per year !

duker99
01-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the input - very much appreciated. Question - you asked "Does this unit have separate pumps and hoses to hydro motors that are in each wheel - or does it have units that combine the pump and motor in a single housing with no hose running to the separate components ? " what am I looking for? how would I tell? Do some M60s have "combo type hydro drive system" and others do not? How would one determine that?
Thanks again!