PDA

View Full Version : Which 'hover' mower to buy..and yes they might be Mickey Mouse

GarPA
01-15-2004, 05:04 PM
ok guys/gals...now many of us here have nothing good to say about these weird contraptions. But I need one....for a property from hell. Did a little research and found the Husq smaller one...I think its around $300. Then I found a couple others that were way too pricey. Frankly the Husq I think would be good enough but I've never touched one of things so I'm clueless.
Its only going to get about 30 hours on it per year.

Smaller is better..and lighter is better...I think the Husq 16" is only like 20lbs.

Your recommendations are appreciated. Anyone use the Husq model?

and yes we've all seen the comments here on LS on how poor they cut....but, if they're good enough for a golf course, they are sure as heck good enough for an industrial property that nobody sees except the employees.

Camelot Gardens Uk
01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
I keep one for banks round lakes/swimming pools, just another piece of kit in the arsenal. Try to get one with a metal blade, the homeowner ones in UK have plastic blades or strimmer line at each end of a "holder".

I cut banks from the top on a rope swinging like a pendulum or
hauling up & down.

NCSULandscaper
01-15-2004, 11:33 PM
If i was going to buy one i would get the husqvarna. Seems like a well built unit and since all my other smaller equipment is husqvarna, i have not been dissapointed with anything that they make.

olderthandirt
01-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Its been 30 yrs since I used one but I think I would buy an $89 mower from wal-mart and take the wheels off.
Gary have you ever used one of any brand?

Mac

chadamsprocut
01-16-2004, 02:54 AM
The best hover mower is a new employee with a Shindaiwa T-270 with the guard removed, wearing pants and motivated. I cant tell you the number of times my employees and I have pulled out the whips to do entire back yards or ditches that are a half mile long that were to wet to get the mowers in with out rutting.

GarPA
01-16-2004, 06:29 AM
Mac...no I;ve never touched one of these.
I want to be able to do as Chad mentioned above...work it from the top in a pendulum motion. I;ve tried it with the guard off the trimmer but I still have to do mountain climbing on the 50 degree slopes and that what I want to get away from

Looks like the hvt40 from Husq cuts with string, not blades?
Its only a 1 hp 2 cycle ...do you think this will cut? Like I said pretty is the goal, just make it easier to trim. I do these banks weekly so they will never be real long. I hope the dealer here lets me demo one.

mtdman
01-16-2004, 06:47 AM
I just stay away from banked areas to steep to get my mower on.

:D

GarPA
01-16-2004, 06:54 AM
I would also if it weren't for the fact that the job is highly profitable and they spend considerable dollars each year on landscaping and flower displays...every time I fight those slopes I have to tell myself to remember the total revenue on that account...but some days I'd like to fire them

mtdman
01-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Get them to plant ivy or some other kind of ground cover on the slope/bank. I suggested that for a past client who did it and made my life a lot easier.

:D

GarPA
01-16-2004, 07:58 AM
suggested that ...they dont like the look of ground cover....its 200 yards long and 15 ft high...its a tiered bank, that then levels out to a flat area about 6 ft wide and then down again for another 8 ft slope.

SWD
01-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Garpa, I have used, at one time or another, Allen, Suzuki, Husky brand hover mowers.
All worked very well, none were mickey mouse machines, and considerably easiere to use than a string trimmer on slopes.
Check with a local golf course superintendent for a good, used machine. Now is the time when the northern courses are changing out equipment - who knows, instead of paying three hundred, you might get one for fifty?

olderthandirt
01-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Gary
like I said its been 30 yrs since I ran one but it was like dragging a mower without wheels. I'm sure they made alot of advances on them since then but that is one piece of equipment I would rather pay to demo If I had to before I bought one. The one I used was great for as long as the ground was perfectly flat, if it wasen't I just used a regular cheapo mower it was a lot easier. Pay to demo and have the dealer subtract the cash off the selling price if you like it JMI

Mac

GarPA
01-16-2004, 10:22 AM
thanks guys for the additional info. Just got off the phone with the local hardware store that carriesHusq. Saleman said they have 3 lco's who use them and all seem pleased. He did say that these things will not stand much abuse as they are mostly plastic. Not a problem since I will be the only one using it.
They dont stock them but he is going to order one and let me demo it with no obligation.

SWD...good idea on the golf courses. I know 2 , local greenskeepers here and I will call them and see if they have any to move out.

Also talked to the mechanic at the dealer...he said there are no design flaws (with the new ones..older models were awful like you said Mac) and that they give a decent cut and will cut production time at least in half, maybe more.
We'll see, but any improvement over what this property puts my old budy thru will be welcomed...thanks again guys for your help

olderthandirt
01-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Gary keep me posted on how it works. Maybe its time to look into one again. GOOD LUCK

Mac

GarPA
01-16-2004, 10:40 AM
I will do that Mac...the first day I use it, I know I will come home, log on, and tell you my first impressions. Frankly, I am a little skeptical of how well they work, but since a number of guys say they do ok, I'm willing to give it a try. We geezers (you too Rod) have to find all the ways we can to not let the young ones run us out...

on 2nd thought I'm wrong about you Rod....since you have that Business Empire down there, you wouldn't even bid on such a tough property...hah....

Fareway Lawncare
01-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Eastman 19S2 w/Suzuki & precleaner.

http://www.hovermower.com/hm19s2.htm

LawnMower
01-16-2004, 11:30 AM
I used to have one. It always seemed to work better when I took the cutting blade off it.

GTLC
01-16-2004, 01:09 PM
how does a hover mower work?

BB36
01-16-2004, 01:33 PM
I worked in a upscale golf course awhile back and we used these all the time around the ponds etc..(can't remember what make they were). If i was you i would just call some reginal golf courses around town ; i think they would gladly tell you what you need to know.

rodfather
01-16-2004, 04:31 PM
A hover mower Gary? Only 30 hours a year? Hope this client is worth it...btw, wasn't that snow nice? Cha-ching we say!

GarPA
01-16-2004, 05:57 PM
yep Rod he's worth it
1. for what he spends on landscaping and flower displays
and
2. getting the trimmer out of my hand an hour sooner per week...that part as they say is....priceless

yep Rod that was sure an easy snow day wasn't it ...2 inches of baby powder....I.almost felt guilty taking their cha-ching.....NOT!!!

NCSULandscaper
01-16-2004, 08:58 PM
just another suggestion here. wouldnt it be worth it to spray that bank with a growth ******ent such as Primo? I think the time savings on labor would be more than the product costs. Might cut the number of times you have to cut the bank by atleast half if not much more.

HOMER
01-17-2004, 12:00 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Plant growth regulator.

lawnwizards
01-17-2004, 02:01 AM
what would the customer say if you used a growth ******ent? would they want the price to go down because youre not cutting as much grass? please enlighten me a little on this because i have a few with lots and lots of weed eating that i'd like to cut down on. thanks for your input.

lawn wizards

moaman
01-17-2004, 05:12 AM
I have a husky hover that i use on rare occasions they will cut down on the time on that bank, but i have found that if the grass that you are cutting with it is long or the ground is uneven it is a bit of a nightmare to use them.long damp grass will tend to clog the underside of the mower and uneven ground wiil be scalped other than that i think it will suit the bank work but demo a few machines

GarPA
01-17-2004, 05:40 AM
already thought about using a growth regulator. Last year I was at a seminar and asked the Primo rep if this stuff would work on weeds as well as grass as these banks are about half weeds half grass. He said PRIMO is not affective on weeds. I was a little surprised at that because I thought it could also slow down the metabolic process of weeds as well. Get this, he did tell me to water down Roundup and use it as it will be far cheaper and will also slow the weeds. Obviously one would have to be EXTREMELY careful to get the dilution rate just right so as not to burn down the whole bank...yikes!!! ANyone out there ever tried R-up as a pgr?? if so how did it work and what was your dilution rate?

In theory, this mightwork since it works by turning off the metabolism of anything it touches...but I dont pretend to be any chemical expert as some of you are