PDA

View Full Version : What shoes/boot with your shorts??

2k1yzfr1
01-15-2004, 05:05 PM
In the past couple years I have been wearing just khaki or some mesh nylon shorts with new balance running shoes. The only problem is that the shoes only last a few months. I went out looking today for a good pair of boots and found some red wings that I liked, but are like 6" tall. I also found some Justin lower cut boots that were comfortable and might look better than a tall boot. My question is do you wear boots with shorts??

rkbrown
01-15-2004, 05:11 PM
I like the 6" boots to wear with shorts. I usually wear 8" boots when I wear work pants.

Rich's Lawn Care
01-15-2004, 05:15 PM
I wear 8" boot with shorts or pants.

NEPSJay
01-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I also wear 8" with shorts.

twins_lawn_care
01-15-2004, 05:35 PM
I wear boots with shorts or long pants, regardless.
The boots are mainly for my protection when I am working, and therefore am not worried about the "look" as much.
Wearing the boots look more professional anyhow, if you want to keep the look professional. If wearing boots save your feet just one time from an accident, you know why you wear them!

I think a lot of people will agree, and also recommend you go with the boots.

Good luck out there.

AuburnGuy
01-15-2004, 05:40 PM
I personally like hiking shoes. Never really liked hiking or work boots. Hiking shoes have harder soles and much better support that running shoes.

GLS
01-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't worry about how they are gonna look. I would be more concerned about safety/protection.

I wear a 6" steel toed work boot. Normally with pants. I only wear shorts when I work if it's really hot.

I definetely wouldn't be wearing tennis shoes:nono:

DLCS
01-15-2004, 05:50 PM
I wear boots for safety reasons and the biggest reason is so my socks don't get stained with grass. :p

sodzilla
01-15-2004, 05:57 PM
I've always worn boots with shorts. My wife says I looks stupid but what does she know. I always go with 8" boots. Just like the higher boot. Redwings are a good boot. Very comfortable. The last pair I bought were catipiller boots with a steel toe. Real big and bad as* looking but also heavy and hard on the feet after a long day.

Avery
01-15-2004, 06:03 PM
I wear 8" heavy work boots and long pants 12 months a year. Unsafe to wear shorts or light shoes IMO.

BOTURF
01-15-2004, 06:09 PM
i switch back and forth between 8 inch boots and shorts and tennis shoes and shorts depending on the job i wear tennis shoes some( only when riding all day ) because i dont want that permant sock line that wearing boots leaves after 3 months in the sun . The boots /sock line looks real stupid when you get ready to go out and are wearing shorts and sandals

Yard Perfect
01-15-2004, 06:13 PM
6" boots / Red Wing (safety and support reasons)- 2 pairs a year. Carhart shorts 11 months a year with embroidered polo.

Dave

bob
01-15-2004, 06:18 PM
8" Timberland boots with Kevlar shoe laces. The laces outlast the boots.

sodzilla
01-15-2004, 06:21 PM
I don't worry about the boot tan line when I go out. I wear my good boots with my shorts when I go out. I own 1 pair of shoes and about 8 pairs of boots. The only time I wear the shoes is to the health club.

JimLewis
01-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Dang, man! How do you get away with shorts? Don't you edge??? I tried wearing shorts a few times but I got tired of debris hittin me in the shins when I used the stick edger. Ever since 1996, I've always worn pants.

2k1yzfr1
01-15-2004, 07:40 PM
100-105 degree days is a good reason for me. I am going to try to wear some cargo pants next year, but I don't see that happening in July or August.

cuttingchris
01-15-2004, 07:46 PM
i always wear pants and steel toe boots and a long sleeve t-shirt the long sleeves and pants keep you cool because they hold your sweat to your body and they protect you from debris and the sun you wish you had steel toe when your foot slips under the back of that mower

greenngrow
01-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Man how can you ask a question about wearing boots with shorts. :confused: For the most of us it is the dead of winter and no outlook for warm soon.....

In fact in the upper north east it is suppose to be the coldest in 100 years. Shattering records right and left...

:D

ITFLMAO..

O' by the way I wear 6" boot every where. I mean everywhere.

I have got one pair of tennis shoes (new Balance) I have had for over 7 years. Only wear them on vacation......

I have to admire a person that is always thinking ahead

J Hisch
01-15-2004, 08:40 PM
No shorts here because of pesticides, but also I dont like the trimming mess all over my bare legs.

Jason Rose
01-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Boots.... I bought a pair of catapiliar brand work boots a year ago, tried to wear them, I lasted 30 minutes. Breaking in work boots is tough, anyone have any tips? I have seen alot of tips for dress type boots, but dunno about the hiking style work boots. I'd love to start wearing them, they would at least keep my socks cleaner. Oh by the way, the other reason I had a rou8gh time with them... I wear a size 15! makes them verrrrrry heavy, like tying a couple bricks to my feet.

Oh yeah, I wear shorts whenever I can in the summer, usually I don't even see long pants till september. and edging/trimming in shorts, everyday! just takes a couple days each spring to get used to the sting again. lol!

lawnman_scott
01-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Tennis shoes and shorts, i wear pants maybe 5 days a year.

lucky
01-15-2004, 09:47 PM
6 " Texas Steer boots and cargo shorts

2k1yzfr1
01-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Greenguy I'm from Texas it was 75-78 all last week :D

LawnProMowing
01-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Merrell makes a great work/hike "shoe" with a very aggressive sole for traction yet a low cut top for comfort, all leather and 100% water-proof, I wear them with liners, you know real thin socks that dont show over the top of the shoe, they are a little pricey but IMO worth every penny!

PaulJ
01-16-2004, 01:28 AM
Cowboy boots.

Wait I don't were shorts.

Ron Greenwood Jr
01-16-2004, 04:57 AM
It's not like we walk a runway, but I see what you are saying I would feel-look goofy wearing boots and shorts. Any way boots with pants shoes with shorts maybe I do walk a runway lol.

TreffertLawnWrx
01-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Depending on what Im doing, I wear 6" "Feild and Forest steel toes from Fleet Farm. Go through about a pair a year. I use these for alomst everything. Otherwise I wear DR. Martens. I have not found any shoes that outlast them. I prefer to wear them over the boots but its usually depends on the day!

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-17-2004, 06:46 AM
When I was doing a lot of hiking I would take my new boots soak them wet then wear them dry on a hike......that really breaks them in fast......be careful of rubbing and blisters though...

Derek

Equipguy
01-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Most of our guys wear shorts and boots.

Mscotrid
01-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Platform black shoes, Leather chaps, leather thong,,,,,,wait a minute I'm on the wrong website...My Bad.....never mind:o

SWD
01-17-2004, 10:24 AM
I wear six inch boots, buy two pair each year.
My uniform consists of olive green shorts, yellow collared polo shirt with pockect, a black sweatshirt (when necessary).
My employees wear black dicky pants, a yellow t-shirt (no collar or pocket) and a olive green sweatshirt.
All the comments I have heard support my wearing this uniform and my employees are readily recognized.
I have never received a derogatory comment about wearing boots with shorts.
I buy two pair of good quality work boots around the beginning of the year, rotate every day, never had a problem with my feet. On the rare occassion I purchase a pair that is stiff, I fill them up with water while wearing them, and wear them all day.
As far as a boot line, I don't care. I'm outside working for a living, not styling like some office pogue trying to impress a secretary at the coffee pot.

brucec32
01-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Good move away from tennis/running shoes. Besides perhaps not being as safe, they don't look as professional, and a guy in sneakers doesn't look the same as a guy in work boots. I have a friend who is a great home remodeler. But he shows up to give quotes in gym shorts, t shirt, and sneakers, driving an old van. My brother is an electrician who does work for him and says the guy could charge 20% more if he'd just dress like people expect a contractor to and drive a pickup truck. Silly things like that matter. To some people a van is what "workers" drive. The "boss" drives the pickup truck. Same goes with clothing.

I wear earth toned (brown, sand, gray, etc) hi tec hiking boots because they are lightweight and comfortable. Not as protective as they should be, but it's a compromise I decided on. I switched last year from logo t shirts in hot weather to a lightweight cotton buttondown shirt and I thought I noticed an improved reaction from new customers. Looks a little more polished. Always worn hiking shorts to work in, rarely jeans because they dont' do well when sweaty, and I have the scars to prove it. Tried to find a good pair of khaki bdu's but haven't been able to for winter work. Camos are a no-no. Desert sand perhaps. But green camo is perceived as the uniform of rednecks, fair or not.

brucec32
01-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by brucec32
Good move away from tennis/running shoes. Besides perhaps not being as safe, they don't look as professional, and a guy in sneakers doesn't look the same as a guy in work boots. I have a friend who is a great home remodeler. But he shows up to give quotes in gym shorts, t shirt, and sneakers, driving an old van. My brother is an electrician who does work for him and says the guy could charge 20% more if he'd just dress like people expect a contractor to and drive a pickup truck. Silly things like that matter. To some people a van is what "workers" drive. The "boss" drives the pickup truck. Same goes with clothing. A lot of us forget that people who do manual labor are a real mystery to those who don't and never would. Anything you can do to show that you are really "one of them" will help you gain customer confidence. Many fear and distrust us instinctively. Showing up looking like you're a professional makes them a little less defensive.

I wear earth toned (brown, sand, gray, etc) hi tec hiking boots because they are lightweight and comfortable. Not as protective as they should be, but it's a compromise I decided on. I switched last year from logo t shirts in hot weather to a lightweight cotton buttondown shirt and I thought I noticed an improved reaction from new customers. Looks a little more polished. I've always worn hiking shorts to work in, rarely jeans because they dont' do well when sweaty, and I have the scars to prove it. Tried to find a good pair of khaki bdu's for cool weather and times when I'm in the bushes, but haven't been able to . Camos are a no-no. Desert sand perhaps. But green camo is perceived as the uniform of rednecks, fair or not.

sildoc
01-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by jimlewis
Dang, man! How do you get away with shorts? Don't you edge??? I tried wearing shorts a few times but I got tired of debris hittin me in the shins when I used the stick edger. Ever since 1996, I've always worn pants.

I hated the pelting in the shin also but I really hate wearing pants in the summer. I started to carry a pair of soccer shinguards around and they velcro on. I put these on if it is a lot of edging and let me tell you it helps alot.

As for the steel toe work boot. Yes those are effective if you drop a light item on them or stub your toe, but I have seen some crazy steel toe injuries in the Navy. We had to get out an abundance of tools to pry the steel toe part off of several guys toes. As for the steel toe and moving objects Like a mower blade, we had a guy that work in a local mill and instead of loosing a toe or two he lost all of his toes and half of his foot when a chipper caught his steel toe from the side.

IMO steel toes work great if you are doing a job that you might be dropping light items on your feet but overall they don't protect against what we all want them to.
I wear hiking boots or tennis shoes. Sometimes working in the poision oak I will put on big rubber boots.