PDA

View Full Version : Employee Parking

DFW Area Landscaper
01-15-2004, 06:18 PM
I know that most LCO's are based out of the home. In fact, I don't know of any that aren't.

So, when your employees report to work in the mornings, where do they park?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Avery
01-15-2004, 06:39 PM
We are not home based. They park at the equipment yard. I know a few homebased LCO's that have been hassled by the police when their employees started parking on the side of the street.

BigEd
01-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by DFW Area Landscaper
I know that most LCO's are based out of the home. In fact, I don't know of any that aren't.

You dont know many LCO do you? I know most small operations are based out of ther home, but larger ones with more than a few employees would not get away with working from home.If your properties not commercially zoned you will run into problems.

MudslinginFX4
01-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Even thought I do keep some equipment at my house I am not based out of my home, we have a warehouse that we keep all of our stuff at where we can also work on everything when maintnence needs done. Having a separate place also makes it so customers don't know where you live etc..

Turfdude
01-15-2004, 06:59 PM
It all depends on zoning. If you have no walk up clientele and use your home garage for storage of equipment, you may be okay. For many years, I have had as many as 4-5 employees drive in to work. As long as their cars are registered and insured, they are permitted to park on the street. It is a public road. In my situation, I have many neighbors w/ up to 5 vehicles per home w/ small or no driveways. My men were instructed to park away from these homes to avoid problems. In my case, most that complained were newer neighbors who moved in after me. We are a "blue collar" town, with a lot of service companies. I grew up here since 10 months of age. Only once was I approached by the zoning officer. I kindly reminded him that not only would he have to shut down at least 75-100 other small businesses here should he harrass me, but that our own DPW employees all park on public roads in front of resident's homes. I never heard from him again. Then again, 2 of his brother-in-laws also had businesses in town that stored stuff at their homes (painter & general contractor).
It all depends on your towns ordinances and code enforcement. I must admit that I love the new shop that I built and the fact that everything is now out of the home garage.

Fantasy Lawns
01-15-2004, 07:09 PM
http://fantasylawns.com/Back_Yard.jpg

Let em park in the back ;->

Bob you do have a beautiful shop

JimLewis
01-15-2004, 07:24 PM
MY office is based out of our home. But our equipment, parking, etc. definitely is not. The neighborhood I live in would never let me park a bunch of cars around here all day. We have a storage garage out at a local farm that we store a lot of stuff at. They can park out there. But I give each crew leader their own truck to take home to their own house every night. So many of my employees don't need to park. They just show up with the work truck.

WeatherMan
01-15-2004, 07:26 PM
When I was home based they parked on the street or in the field next to my home. Now my shop is in that field and I have 30 parking spots marked for employees and vistors. Then another 15 spots for company trucks and trailers

bobbygedd
01-15-2004, 08:04 PM
turfdude, with the money you pay those poor souls, you don't need more than a bicycle rack for thier transportation.

Turfdude
01-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
turfdude, with the money you pay those poor souls, you don't need more than a bicycle rack for thier transportation.

C'mon Bobby, Someone has to hire your in-laws:cool:

That's one reason why your wife likes me sooooooo much:eek:

bobbygedd
01-15-2004, 10:58 PM
ok, ok, now you're talkin about my wife.....yea, you and 100 other guys

DFW Area Landscaper
01-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Jim,

++++But I give each crew leader their own truck to take home to their own house every night. So many of my employees don't need to park. They just show up with the work truck++++

I store my trailer in a storage unit, but anticipate hiring a steady hand this summer. I thought about doing what you say above if/when I get to the point of needing a second pick up.

Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they will still pay if your employee gets drunk on his own time and causes damage with your truck? Is there anyway that you could be liable for damages by doing it this way?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

JimLewis
01-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they will still pay if your employee gets drunk on his own time and causes damage with your truck? Is there anyway that you could be liable for damages by doing it this way? No, I haven't checked that out. I just assume that we're covered if one of the employees is driving the company vehicle. I doubt there are any clauses that say they'll exclude coverage if it happens to be done on their own time. And whose to say they weren't working at that time anyway?

I dunno. I don't worry about little stuff like that. I may be guilty of not being thorough enough. But I just don't stress over the small things like that.

DFW Area Landscaper
01-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Jim,

The reason I ask is because I think most insurance companies will not pay if the driver has been drinking. Whether or not your employee is working or on his own time wasn't the reason I asked. I would think there may be a possibility that if your employee were to cause injuries while driving drunk the damaged party may come after your company and possibly even you personally if your insurance company doesn't pay.

I was just thinking there is a far greater likelihood that one of your employees would wind up driving one of your trucks drunk during non-business hours than during business hours.

I think it's great that you provide a company vehicle for your employees to drive. I would love to do the same thing. But first, I would want to know that no matter what happened, including drunk driving, I would not be liable for damages.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

sgreanbean
01-16-2004, 09:25 PM
When I was running my own thing i had the guys park at my house and my shop, a:m coffee with the crew leaders at the house then the rest at the shop, BUT THEN i had a jerk move in across the street ( 45 y/o had to move in with his mom, real winner!) he didnt work so he had nothing better to do but cause trouble for me, so then it was all at the shop!

Now that i sold and in a different state with one of the big companys, foremen and below drive to the yards, supervisors and above take the trucks home

SodKing
01-16-2004, 09:34 PM
I have never been based out of my house. We have a warehouse/office.