PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander

ztrguy
01-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Wright Stander owners:

How does the Stander hold on hills and slopes compared to a walk behind or ZTR?

morturf
01-16-2004, 05:19 PM
I love my Stander. If you remember to work from the bottom up....IMHO it will handle any hills you have guts enough to try!! I have done some that i know walkbehinds had trouble with. Just my opinion.

Mike

Del9175
01-16-2004, 06:33 PM
I just bought a Stander and have only put about 5 hours on it. The one lawn I service with a hill has a lake at the bottom. It got scarey there a few times. Real scarey. I think the only troubles I got into were because of lack of experience on it. It seemed to handle it just fine otherwise. This same hill was no problem for my walkbehinds though, and I have never ran a ztr for more than a few minutes so I didn't vote in your poll.

Aleman
01-16-2004, 08:25 PM
I agree with working from the bottom up. Also, its easy to jump off a stander if the need arises. I love the standers....

siclmn
01-16-2004, 09:28 PM
I had a demo a while back and went close to a car and then turned up a hill and it just started spinning in the grass quickly turning it to mud. I was stuck and since there is no way to manhandle the stander I thought I would just back it up and get out of the way of the car. As I was backing it up it just slid right into the car. It cost me $800. I took the stander back to the dealer. I will never own a machine that has nothing to grab on to to help you steer it out of trouble.

TreffertLawnWrx
01-16-2004, 09:54 PM
21" :D

Ferdelance
01-16-2004, 11:24 PM
standers hold hills just as good as any ztr, but walkbehinds are the champions of hills and slopes.

Shady Brook
01-16-2004, 11:30 PM
I think Ferdelance is correct if you are talking one of the bigger Standers, ie a 52. I have a 36, and no way it is as good on a hill as any walkbehind. I do not think it is even as good as most ZTR's. I believe it is due to the small tires, and narrow stance. I would imagine a larger tired wider wheel base stander would be the equal of most riders, though those Hustler Z'a are pretty awsome on a hill.

Jay

Tbarchaser
01-17-2004, 01:00 AM
Remo,
All you have to do on a stander to get traction is lean into the spinning wheel. if its bad just lean back a little, bring the nose up.
After you use them for a while you start to understand the balance. I have a 42" stander and I have never had a problem with slopes, I have a retention area with a 45 degree slope it holds fine. I have to put a foot on the high side wheelie roller to hang on. But never, never,NEVER point the nose downhill!
I usually go down the bank backwards and work my way up.

gogetter
01-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Pretty sure this had nothing to do with the machine. More like operator error.

Originally posted by Remo
I had a demo a while back and went close to a car and then turned up a hill and it just started spinning in the grass quickly turning it to mud. I was stuck and since there is no way to manhandle the stander I thought I would just back it up and get out of the way of the car. As I was backing it up it just slid right into the car. It cost me $800. I took the stander back to the dealer. I will never own a machine that has nothing to grab on to to help you steer it out of trouble.

Gabriel Turf
01-17-2004, 06:20 PM
I have 130 hours on a 52" stander and I side mow one hill that I am not sure that I would even attempt to walk down. I can also mow very steep slopes from top to bottom as long as there is an area at the top of the hill, that levels off a bit, where I can turn around. I wholeheartedly agree with Tbarchaser on one point. If you are side mowing a steep slope and attempt to turn downhill, hold on tight!