PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Vs Scag Vs Snapper

SIRCAESAR
01-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Hello guys I am looking into getting a 36" or 48" walkbehind to start with, trying to decide between the Exmark Turf Tracer, Scag Ultimate Hydro walk-behind, and Snapper Pro express Many of you have one or all of these, which one is the best, in durability quality and over the long haul..I want to make sure I am making the best investment. they all seem to look the same and have a lot of the same features.. I hear these are the top 3, what do you guys recommend.:cool:

65hoss
01-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Top 3?

Anyway, I can say with experience that eXmark is a great machine with anything they put their name on. Hustler would be the only other machine I would really look at. Scag...well some like them some don't. They are built solid. Snapper doesn't get much air time here. Most don't use them. I've not seen more than 1 comm'l size Snapper anywere in use here in over a year.

The only way to decide is to demo all the units. Don't take dealers advice on why their mower is better. Simply, they never get out in the field. Anyway, demo demo demo. The best mower is one your happy with. Also, there is TONS of info on w/b mowers on this site. Start searching and reading.

naturescape
01-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Do a search to compare. But I kinda regret having a floating deck lately. I think you should possibly consider a fixed deck, running double blades. Remember, having a floating deck that quick-adjusts is not so quick when you have to readjust all the anti-scalp wheels as well (for any adjustment over 3/4" or so).

The quickadjust deck with doubles has a lot of blowout. Although the Snapper thankfully still uses the "blade bolt through" design.

brucec32
01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Why would you regret having a floating deck? Wouldn't you have to readjust anti scalps on a fixed deck too? (I've never done this, scalping isn't as much a problem as you mow higher)

John Gamba
01-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Please.

quiet
01-16-2004, 03:42 PM
. . . and the anti-scalp wheel (only one wheel) isn't of much value on the 36". And mowing at 3/4"? I wish I had customers with lawns as flat as a pool table.

But changing the deck height on a floating deck sure is a lot nicer when it's late in the afternoon and hot.

naturescape
01-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Why would you regret having a floating deck? Wouldn't you have to readjust anti scalps on a fixed deck too? (I've never done this, scalping isn't as much a problem as you mow higher)

I dislike the floating deck on mowers such as my TT because it is hard, if not impossible, to run double blades on them without excessive blowout -- there are no blade spacers that can be adjusted on that type of spindle design. Again, it's different on the Snapper floating deck that still uses the bolt-through design. Let's not debate about whether to runs doubles on an ExM, that's been done so much before. Quite simply, I've tried every set up and blade combo, with and without mulch kits, and I prefer double blades overall for most conditions.

Also, floating decks are much more expensive and add a lot of weight.

And mowing at 3/4"? I wish I had customers with lawns as flat as a pool table.

Here, I was talking about a 3/4" difference in cutting height, not mowing at 3/4". Say you have your ExMark Turf Tracer set for cutting at 3 1/4 to 3 1/2" as I usually do. If you run into a case where the lawn must be cut at 2" or 2 1/2", all the anti-scalp wheels must be raised up as well. And if you are simply always leaving your anti-scalp wheels raised, then you aren't getting any benefit at all from them in the first place.

Now, if Exmark will offer an anti-blowout baffle for the 48" deck, I think I'll be really happy, overall, with the floating deck. They have been promising it to us for years here on Lawnsite....... Also, I wish they would change the spindle design to the blade-bolt through design.......

johnbast3
01-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Hi,
I've had scags,still have scags,both the fixed and adjustable.All are well built and perform very well.They also have bolt thru spindles,in fact,I believe the best spindles in the business.I realize they don't support this forum(shame on them)but they are always voted #1 ..My 2 cents