PDA

View Full Version : Exmark vs Scag, Vs Hustler Vs Snapper Vs Gravely

SIRCAESAR
01-16-2004, 12:44 PM
ok guys hands down which one of these has the best machines?

65hoss
01-16-2004, 01:21 PM
You have this almost same thread still going just a few down.

There are people that will insist that each one is the best hands down. You need to go demo(not just look) at each mower you are interested in. The only perfect mower is the one that you like the best.

John Gamba
01-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Well if you didnt get it that time!

rodfather
01-16-2004, 03:43 PM
How in the world can you put Snapper in with the likes of the others I would like to know???

SIRCAESAR
01-16-2004, 03:54 PM
rodfather,their are actually quite a few people on the boards who use snappers, try taking a look at the post, and look at everyone's equipment, those who post that info that is..I actually have a regular 21" inch hi-vac snapper that i use.. I know its only a residential mower but I have not had any problems with it..Snapper is not a lawnmower to be underestimated rodfather.. but of course when you compare it against Exmark, Scag and the others, your talking about a different dog..In any event, I am begginning to see that you guys all have your particular preference.. I will just have to take 65hoss advice and demo all of them..their is a local dealer that carries most of them

rodfather
01-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by SIRCAESAR
rodfather,their are actually quite a few people on the boards who use snappers

Commercially?

Not to rain on anyone's parade, I haven't seen a whole lot of hoopala from people (ft or pt) boasting bout their snapper mowers...oh well, to each their own.

DennisF
01-16-2004, 05:51 PM
I've used most of the big names. Exmark, Scag and Hustler are in a league by themselves. The other names just don't measure up to these three. All three are excellent machines, You have to compare prices, features, warranty, and most of all quality. All three give excellent finished cuts. I bought a Hustler because in my experience it proved to be the best mower overall when doing comparisons on what I needed from the machine. You have to demo each and decide what is right for your situation.

KerryB
01-16-2004, 06:01 PM
I compared them and decided on an Exmark. Finally I made the right decision. lol\
But you need to test drive each one, look at the decks see how they cut. Decide for yourself which one you like best.

Del9175
01-16-2004, 06:21 PM
I was real interested in getting a Snapper wb back in the early 90's. It seemed like a nice unit. This is when I was in Michigan. One of the larger lawn mower dealers in my area now handles Snapper, but doesn't stock any of the larger wb's. Five years ago I mentioned I might want one and he looked at me like I was crazy. I don't think he has ever sold one.

excel25
01-16-2004, 06:30 PM
You do need to demo them so when you buy a HUSTLER you will have NO question in your mind that you made the right choice!!

Cut 2 Please
01-16-2004, 07:19 PM
I have just purchased a new WB. I demoed the Exmark TTHP 17hp 48" and the Gravely Pro H 15hp 48". Both are very good machines. I feel the Gravely is built a little more heavy duty than the Exmark. There were two deciding factors that made me go with the Exmark though. One was the fact that the deck on the Gravely was 2" wider than the deck on the Exmark. This could make a differance on whether it would go through a gate or not. The other deciding factor was poor service by the distributor. After waiting for 3 weeks he never did come up with a Pro H WB W/pro steer that I could demo. When he did show up with a Pro H that had pistol grips he did not bring a mulch kit for it like my dealer had requested. I did demo the Gravely w/o the mulch kit and the cut was excelent, probably just as good as the Exmark. I got to thinking though and if he dropped the ball this bad when I was trying to buy a mower how bad would it be in the middle of cutting season and I need a part. I could not take that chance. Needless to say I bought the Exmark and am very pleased. I have the mulch kit, weight kit for the front, and a Pro Slide on it. It leaves the lawns looking great.

John Gamba
01-16-2004, 08:19 PM
All Kidding Aside! Dealer Support Is Very Important! Happy New Year.
John

Metro Lawn
01-16-2004, 08:54 PM
I had to throw my 2 cents in. I have an older 36" Snapper hydro w/b. It has never been in for any repairs since new. Been an awesome machine and cut very well.

SIRCAESAR
01-16-2004, 11:25 PM
guys you have all given me some really great feedback, I see they are many factors to be considered, when choosing between the big names.. I will say that out of all the Machines, the Exmark is by far the overall winner with the Majority of you. so i guess it will come down to my budget, the dealer service, warranty service and overall features of the machines, as my final deciding factors, Maybe I will decide on the Scag, or Hustler for my first walk-behind, then later get the one of the Exmark Z's, like many of you..Yup thats it.. thanks guys

SIRCAESAR
01-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Oh guys, I forgot also the Toro walkbehinds and Ztr's whats your take on those?

rotgg
01-17-2004, 12:37 AM
exmark

Sam-Ohio
01-17-2004, 01:21 AM
Saw and rode both Exmark and Toro side by side at Louisville. The Toro display was showing their mower deck off and they were explaining how much stronger and better their spindles were than the Exmark, and showing why the Toro blows out clippings better than Exmark etc. etc.

It was pretty convincing, since Toro owns and controls Exmark, and they seem to be giving features to Toro and then stand right there and would point out where the Toro had addressed these problems, and how the Exmark deck was still not being changed or upgraded.

I don't own or opperate either one of these - but I was impressed with how the Toro display pointed out the advantages of the Toro Deck over the Exmark deck.

PaulJ
01-17-2004, 01:33 AM
Need I say more?:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Avery
01-17-2004, 02:21 AM
D. None of the above. TORO!

J.Gordon
01-17-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by PaulJ
Need I say more?:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I agree with Paul on this!!

J.Gordon
01-17-2004, 07:11 AM
oops!!

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 08:05 AM
If the CUT matters! ULTRACUT.

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Here 60" Ultracut

WLM
01-17-2004, 08:24 AM

Doc Pete
01-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Here 60" Ultracut

So when is Exmark gonna put some tires on that puppy?????? :p

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Doc Pete
So when is Exmark gonna put some tires on that puppy?????? :p

Good Morning Pete.
I dont think the 20's Fit:

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 08:34 AM
OH Pete
In 2004 i'm going BACK to walks. Now i;m going to push more then ever for more speed and hp's. I will show a (FULL DRESSER) style TT This spring! Cant get one now they sold out and are waitingfor the shipment.
The one problem with the riders is you dont get a great tan:mad: And you do put on a pound or two:D See you on are sukys.
John

Doc Pete
01-17-2004, 08:36 AM
Good Morning Pete.
I dont think the 20's Fit:

Hey John,
Did you make some cash with the Storm Thursday.......

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Hey John,
Did you make some cash with the Storm Thursday.......

I dont plow anymore:D Only my driveway and a elderly person on my street.
I would be on an island or cruise but my girlfriends family ownes plaza's and they are putting in a lowes at one of them and she heads up the development end of it. She is very busy now, so i just sit in the tub.
John

Doc Pete
01-17-2004, 08:57 AM
I dont plow anymore:D Only my driveway and a elderly person on my street.

I'm noticing plowing can be fun as long it's not blood money. My friends keep wanting to make $300/$400 an hour. I'm happy doing $200/hour. Heck, where else can sit in a truck and make that kind of cash. Gees, we sit on a mower in the heat, dust and bounce around for $$60/80hour.... Go figure.
DP

John Gamba
01-17-2004, 10:25 AM
I'm noticing plowing can be fun as long it's not blood money. My friends keep wanting to make $300/$400 an hour. I'm happy doing $200/hour. Heck, where else can sit in a truck and make that kind of cash. Gees, we sit on a mower in the heat, dust and bounce around for $$60/80hour.... Go figure.
DP

Yeah its nice BUT you cant go anywhere and you need the snow to make your 200 dollars?

kmeforou
01-17-2004, 05:37 PM
I have a SuperZ and it does an excellent job when mowing normal grass. However, I tested an Exmark on an area I was mowing that had thick and tall grass. I timed myself on both units for an area that was approximately three quarters of an acre. I was able to finish with the Exmark in about twelve minutes less time than the SuperZ. The problem with the SuperZ was that I had to slow down to let the grass clear the chute. I feel Hustler needs to improve on their deck design to handle taller than normal grass. Both units were 60". 27 Kohler vs 25 kaw.

Sauls1686
01-17-2004, 09:38 PM
HELLO!?

I would buy (and did) a Scag!! The only other thing I would look at is a Hustler. I really like the looks of them but I have only demoed an old shortcut.

PaulJ
01-18-2004, 04:16 AM
I love the finish my Hustler gives!!:) :) :) ;) :D

John Gamba
01-18-2004, 08:50 AM
I love the finish my Hustler gives!!:) :) :) ;) :D

That Looks great Paul.
John

PaulJ
01-18-2004, 03:31 PM
That Looks great Paul.
John

Thanks John.
Coming from you that really means alot.

I hope to get more and better turf pictures in the spring. That was the only one I got with my $20 digital camera this last fall.

John Gamba
01-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks John.
Coming from you that really means alot.

I hope to get more and better turf pictures in the spring. That was the only one I got with my $20 digital camera this last fall.

I Love spring Time, The Grass So Green:D Its Snowing Now:mad:
John

SCU316
05-28-2008, 04:07 AM
Commercially?

Not to rain on anyone's parade, I haven't seen a whole lot of hoopala from people (ft or pt) boasting bout their snapper mowers...oh well, to each their own.

I know many landscapers that use both snapper commercial and residential machines with little to no issues. Very good bagging system and there walk behind mower are the only ones that use a tractor style drive system with an automotive differential. Then you add a fully commercial Honda engine to a machine that retails for 849.99, scags, hustler, exmark got nothing on that. Then you get into Snapper Pro and you get high quality mid sided machines as well as riding mowers. Snapper and Snapper Pro mowers are unmatched especially since they have been bought out by Briggs who bought Massey Ferguson and also builds the hydro's for 90% of all riding mowers available including scags, exmark, and hustler. Besides the hydro's they incorporate Massey Ferguson (in case you are wondering Massey Ferguson built some of the most durable and long last farmer style tractors) technology into their rides with has made them extremely durable and given them the ability to mulch and bag as good as anybody out there. Not to mention snappers built in house (with the exception of the Honda engines) and in America which does make any necessary repairs cheap as their parts are cheap. But don't get me wrong the others are good machines, i just feel the need to defend snapper as they are much better then what they are given credit for. Also you all you guys that lke Exmark because they are the best and can't stand other brands such as Toro. They are made by and owned by Toro and use the similar compenents as a Toro machine, however Toro does consider them to be a lower ended commercial machine that has similar components that are quite as durable as what is used on a Toro branded machine; anyways just something to consider when ruling out Toro and going with Exmark.