PDA

View Full Version : How to protect my Mower during winter

lildog132
01-16-2004, 03:50 PM
This has been my first winter with my 1st commerical mower, its a scag 36" and im wondering what you should do to it during the winter so it will start back up in the spring? i've been kind of lazy about doing anything to it yet, hope its not too late. Its about 5 degrees here. I Sorta need any steps their are to doing this, im a newbie. Thanks

Phishook
01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Unhook the battery, lube everything, add a fuel stabilizer, and then keep it inside.

rodfather
01-16-2004, 04:15 PM
If you're worried, take it to your dealer.

Avery
01-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Keep it inside. If you shop is like ours and not large enough for winter storage rent a unit to keep things in the winter months.

John Gamba
01-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Keep It Warm Make It Feel Loved:D

DLCS
01-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Keep It Warm Make It Feel Loved:D

John,

I think I see a little drool on that pillow.:D

grass_cuttin_fool
01-16-2004, 04:56 PM
I also like to jack my mowers up and put blocks under the frame to get the tires off the floor, had a set a few years ago sit over winter and got flat spots in them, rode like it had square wheels on it, also i let them leak down on air over the winter and it helped to crack the side walls and shorten the life of them

John Gamba
01-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by DLCS
John,

I think I see a little drool on that pillow.:D

LOLOLOLOL I'm BOARED.

Expert Lawns
01-16-2004, 05:15 PM
lil dog, be sure you keep the batter in a dry place. off the floor and at a good temp. preferrably inside. (not the garage)

pjslawncare/landscap
01-16-2004, 06:09 PM
In addition to what has already been said, I clean the underside of the deck real good and spray with WD 40 and change oil in crankcase. Oh yea, dont forget to turn off fuel petcocks and run engine till it dies. Sometimes I remove spark plugs and put a few oz of motor oil , replace plugs and slowly turn engine over a couple revolutions to coat cylinder walls.

lildog132
01-16-2004, 06:16 PM
So what would happen if i just let it sit in my garage? to be honest, i dont think i have even seen the battery on the scag.... So I should run it until the mower dies?

lildog132
01-16-2004, 06:28 PM
well, just went out to my garage to see if I could get it started, Couldn't....... it ran fine in the summer, 1-2 pull start everytime, so it JUST that its COOLLLD out or is their actually something seriously wrong. Could I ruin my engine, other expensive parts?

hoffmanlandscaping
01-16-2004, 06:29 PM
One thing that I do that hasn't been mentioned is to use a product called FOG it's a lubricante that you spray into the carb. will the motor is running to stall out the machine. This product coats the cylinder walls and all other bare metals in the card and combustion chamber. Works great especaily if you machine ets in a place where the temp can change and cause condenation. This product is used mainly when a engine is going to be sitting for an extended period of time.

lildog132
01-16-2004, 06:30 PM
how do you "turn off the fuel petcocks" ahhhh, and where would the battery be located and what does it look like? PLEASE HELP

pjslawncare/landscap
01-16-2004, 06:36 PM
If you let it sit and leave in cold several things may occure
1 gas in carb may gel over time and clog precise metering orifices requiring carb to have to be dissasembled and cleaned thoughly to run properly. thus reason for running carb dry or at least use fuel stableizer.
2 battery can freeze and spill corrosive acids on mower and reqire new battery next spring. If your mower is pull start, you probably dont have a battery though.
3 Moisture from condensation may form thin layer of rust on cylinder walls and under deck if not coated with oil, however this is precautionary and not that big of concern but Id rather be safe.
Other than that the constant change in temp can cause rubber to dry out faster than normal and condensation in fuel tanks and crank cases and even hydroulic systems if your mower is hydro

BigEd
01-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by lildog132
ahhhh, and where would the battery be located and what does it look like? PLEASE HELP

If its belt drive it dont have a battery.

how do you "turn off the fuel petcocks"

Its on the fuel line between the tank and carb

lildog132
01-16-2004, 06:41 PM
okay so where do you put the fuel stabilizer, just in the gasoline? and do you have to start it to get it working? Because I can't get my mower started.... Sorry for all these stupid questions

pjslawncare/landscap
01-16-2004, 06:43 PM
I wouldnt be too woried if your mower doesnt start in very cold. It is jetted for warm season and will be much harder to start in extreme cold. Go to auto parts store and buy starting fluid and spray into air cleaner while starting and it should start then. Fuel petcock (valve) is located under fuel tank

pjslawncare/landscap
01-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Stabelizer mixes with gas only. Follow instructions on bottle for correct ratio and yes I would start engine after it is mixed so it get into carb.

NNJLandman
01-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Lildog don't worry, I have the same exact mower as you and was all worried about the same thing, its about -35 here, and my mower is underneath my house in a tarped in area, and has a tarp on it itself. All i did was put stabilizer in the gas. Once you bring it out in the spring let it sit in the sun for a lil while warm up then jus starter up. Should run. My tires did go flat and now are like blocks on one side which sucks but come spring they should be fine. My old boss did nothing with his mower no stabilzer nothing jus put them in the enclosed trailer and there they sat. come spring we would do exactely what I said, in the sun and they would start up after a few times after that smooth runin.

Jeff

mtdman
01-16-2004, 08:50 PM
I always stab-il my equipment, lube 'em up good, and forget about 'em for the winter. No batteries, keep 'em in the storage away from the weather. Usually start up fine in the spring. In fact, I started my blowers the other day to blow the snow outta the back of my truck. But you really should do something before the winter starts to winterize your stuff.

Expert Lawns
01-17-2004, 02:11 PM
I keep all my 2-cycles in my basement. I will start them up periodically during the winter to keep them running.