PDA

View Full Version : Are you Mr. Clean?

BrianK10
01-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey All.

Just curious as to how clean you keep all of your equpiment (trucks, trailers, mowers, even trimmers and blowers) on a regular basis during the mowing season. I know its as much as a pain for you as it is for me, but I personally believe that clean equipment does make your company in general look better and more professional. What do you guys think? Am I a nutcase or do any of you try to keep up on the appearance of all your equipment?

Brian

AuburnGuy
01-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Since I have a full time job I don't have a lot of extra time it is more difficult. But I i'm going from a 4x8 to a 6x12 trailer this year. That should make it a lot easier to just go by one of those car was machines once a week and rinse everything off while its on the trailer. I could not do that with everything piled in that 4x8 trailer.

Avery
01-16-2004, 04:37 PM
My equipment stays pretty dirty, but it is kept in top notch mechanical shape. We blow it off at the end of every day and pressure wash it monthly. Simply do not have the time to hand wash mowers and tractors. Our trucks are kept shiny though. We have them washed and waxed on a regular basis.

WeatherMan
01-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Every Day when my crews pull in the mowers and trimmers must be cleaned off before they go home, and on Fridays the Truck Trailer and mowers get a good wash. and wax once a month.
This just helps promote our company as professional. and makes the equipment last much longer

olderthandirt
01-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Everything get power washed once a week. Its a lot easier spotting a small oil leak on clean equipment that on equipments that has grass and dirt 1/2 thick covering it up. Its just part of the pm

Mac

BSDeality
01-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by AuburnGuy
just go by one of those car was machines once a week and rinse everything off while its on the trailer. they won't like you very much down at teh car wash. the grass and mud will clog their drainage system. buy a pressure washer and do it at home or the shop.

twins_lawn_care
01-16-2004, 05:39 PM
I try to keep everything as clean as possible.
I am doing this easier than a lot of people because I am fairly small now, but want to get into good habits for when I do grow.
I think it helps with the overall first impression of the company image as you pull up, and are seen by everyone who walks by.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
Everything get power washed once a week. Its a lot easier spotting a small oil leak on clean equipment that on equipments that has grass and dirt 1/2 thick covering it up. Its just part of the pm

Mac
Mac said it better than me. I wish to keep my equipment clean and plan to again. My problem is that I had a cheapo gas powered power washer and I used to wash my stuff fairly often but the power washer messed up . I ordered new parts and tried to rebuild the thing with no luck and gave up on it. I plan to buy a better one this comming season. Anyone know of a decent mid priced power washer out there? What do u use?

locutus
01-16-2004, 07:39 PM
I try to clean the big stuff once a week. Smaller equipment, I.E. trimmers, blowers, when they start to look a little grimey.

Evan528
01-16-2004, 08:00 PM
The trucks ussually get washed once a week. The mahines just get blow off at the end of each day. I dont see any point in washing machines when after 15 minutes of use they will look the same again.

SodKing
01-16-2004, 08:06 PM
I use our CT-750 (http://www.carriage-trade.com/pressurewasher.html) to clean our equipment daily

mtdman
01-16-2004, 08:38 PM
My stuff gets dirty so fast it's not worth it. I blow off the grass from the decks, try to keep the grime away from the working parts, but it's not worth the time to clean everything regularly. Just gets all dirty again. I wash my aerator tines out after I use that to keep those in good shape. IMO, the mowers work just as well dirty as clean.

:D

hole in one lco
01-16-2004, 08:40 PM
All tools, and machines are cleaned at the end of the day . Mowers are blown of after every cut.

BrianK10
01-17-2004, 12:38 PM
You wouldn't believe this. One morning I got a late start on the day. It was around 10ish or so, and was on a Monday. I pulled into my normal gas station, and started filling my truck up. I had a guy walk by and complement me on my truck and equipment on how clean they were. Granted it was a Monday morning so everything was clean after washing everything over the weekend.

After talking to the guy for about 10 minutes, he says "Hey, with all that equipment being so clean, I guess you don't have much work to do, do ya? To be honest, I'd rather have someone come and cut my lawn with equipment that I can see thats been used than clean stuff because to me it shows me that he does this for a profession and doesn't have time to clean his stuff off."

I left the gas station with a little laugh, and my pride.

Go Figure. :angel:

BOTURF
01-17-2004, 12:57 PM
mlwers and trucks get washed and scrubed on friday after we are done mowing for the week unless they really dirty before then we wash as needed . You need to set a good image in this business and look like a pro . If you were doing the hiring would you hire a dirty looking business..... i dont think so . Well maybe some of you would , My commercial accounts and most of my high end res want a professial look outfit sitting out front not a rusted out beat up truck and trailer with mowers that look like they are 20 years old . There was a post about a year ago by etw about how he keeps his trucks and euipment clean and why , do a seach puching in etw and you will be impressed with his setup just my 2 cents

AL Inc
01-17-2004, 04:43 PM
I rarely see my customers when we are there working. Most people are at work. I don't believe they care what my equipment looks like, as long as their property looks good. I am much more worried about keeping up my machines mechanically than I am about washing them. We will blow them off in the afternoon when we are done, but they get powerwashed only once a year.
I get many years out of my machines, and they are used heavily.

SodKing
01-17-2004, 04:55 PM
The beauty of having a wall mounted pressure washer is it is available to use all teh time. I don't have to hook it up, drag hoses or extension cords around. We just pull out the gun and spray away. Then reel the hose back up on its hannay hose reel. The process is so simple it makes washing each piece a 3-5 minute job as they put the equipment away each night. Its great for the trucks too.

CT-750 (http://www.carriage-trade.com/pressurewasher.html)

Turfdude
01-17-2004, 05:16 PM
No Mr. Clean here. No 1. I don't have a large hoop earing and B. I have too much hair to try & keep my head shaved all of the time.

But really, the trucks don't get washed as they should (only waxed 1-2 times a year. Equipment gets power washed at least monthly.

GrassBustersLawn
01-17-2004, 08:11 PM
I keep the trucks clean. Take them to car wash once a week during season. KEEP UP THE CLEAN IMAGE. Buy the coupon book and save a little! Mowers get greased but not washed. Pull grass out from deck daily in spring, less frequently rest of the year. I never power wash them. Haven't seen the white spokes on my mower tires since I bought the machines! :)

Mike

xcopterdoc
01-17-2004, 09:02 PM
We have 5 crews. Every crew has a day each week to clean their equipment at the end of the day. We dont pressure wash unless its really nasty and going into shop for major repairs. I think pressure washing tends to get water and detergents where you may not want them. We use a hose, scrub brushes and simple green. After washing, everything is blown off with low pressure air and greased, then ran til its dried out. In my opinion, cleaning serves two purposes... It keeps it clean, and as you are cleaning your eyes may see something amiss. lose bolts, cracks, etc...
Also, once a week washings and cleanings is the minimum. If the stuff gets nasty.. it gets cleaned, period. It has taken me 3 yrs to convince the owner, the operators and the foreman, that just because you completed a job and billed it out, that doesnt mean the WORK is done. You HAVE to take care of things after words. Download equipment, clean it, grease it, put stuff away etc..

bob
01-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Working a full time job and running a full time lawn business doesn't leave much time to clean the equipment. However I try to give everything a full cleaning at least 2x a year. The mowers get blown off on an as need basis. But a full wash is hard to squeeze in. I can't remember the LS member that washes his truck and trailer ewvry day before he goes out. I wish that I had this kind of time!

BOTURF
01-17-2004, 10:58 PM
i think it was etw that washes both his trucks and trailer plus mowers before they leave the shop every morning

MudslinginFX4
01-17-2004, 11:07 PM
I usually only wash my mowers and other equipment only about once a month if that. My trailer I try to always keep organized and very clean, and the trucks are washed atleast once a week.

Expert Lawns
01-17-2004, 11:50 PM
my girlfriend enjoys washing my truck and trailer. i enjoy watching. i also enjoy drinking a beer while watching.

HicksGroundMgt
01-18-2004, 04:07 PM
the mowers get blown off at the end of the day and sprayed with degreaser and hosed on fridays. the trucks get washed on fridays inside and out, right along side of the mowers. we pull everything off the trailers, take all the trash, papers, and clothes out of the cabs and get it all straightened out. the trucks also get hosed off on wensdays to knock some of the dirt off. its part of our maintainence program, plus my guys know that if they don't do it and i get stuck doing it they're getting docked for my time! its a great incentive tool to get them to keep their tools clean.

65hoss
01-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Blow off the machines daily but that is it.
1. If you have time to wash this stuff every week, you need more work to do.
2. These are tools to work and make money with. Not show cars. You them.
3. Even with them blown off i've had potential customers say "are you new with all that new equipment? I doesn't look used much."
4. Keep machines blown off and keep them very well maintained mechanically. Let them make money for you. To make these machines the most effecient possible, it takes keeping them working, not cleaning them. That is time lost washing them. That is an ego thing. Ego doesn't make money.