PDA

View Full Version : Ever Have This Happen

CHAN
01-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Guy in town was demoing a new ZTR mower and somehow it was thrown from the trailer and done a about 3000.00 of damage to it. His insurance told him they couldn't replace or fix it because it didn't belong to him and dealer didn't have it insured while it was off his property. He just bought him a wrecked machine. Just something to keep in mind while demoing. Ask if the dealer has coverage because you may not.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-16-2004, 10:32 PM
So did the guy bring it back and tell the dealer its a peice of junk? :D :blush:

proenterprises
01-16-2004, 10:40 PM
wow-i always thought that the dealer would cover that. what would ever happen if per chance i threw a belt of ran over somthing while i was demoing....is that repair in my lap?

xcopterdoc
01-16-2004, 10:53 PM
If you are demoing a piece of equipment and something beyond your control happens, then that would be on the dealer... If you failed to exercise due caution or beat it to hell, then I would think you would be at fault. Losing a mower from a trailer would fall on the part or the operator I would think.

Eric 1
01-17-2004, 12:17 AM
What a jerk, There is these things called straps, they cost about $3 and keep this from happening.He is lucky it did not hit another car, that would be vary vary bad.

paponte
01-17-2004, 12:19 AM
If you are transporting the machine, you are liable. Only way a dealer is resposible would be if he brought it to the site, and stayed with the machine. :cool:

Richard Martin
01-17-2004, 04:04 AM
If he has full coverage on his vehicle that may cover it.

macaw
01-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Here in TN it's the law STRAP everything down no matter how big or small.

David Haggerty
01-17-2004, 09:25 AM
My commercial policy has a clause for rented/borrowed equipment. It's the same at rental companies. You're liable.

He must have had a lousy policy or none at all.

Dave

GarPA
01-17-2004, 09:44 AM
until I read your post Dave, I was thinking that you guys are missing the boat here.

Any vanilla commercial policy covers equpiment like in this situation....the phrase reads something like " coverage applies while equipment is in your care, custody, or control"...it does not mean you have to own it to have it covered...unless of course he doesn't have insurance....naw that could never happen...everyone has ins in this biz right?

sgreanbean
01-17-2004, 11:05 AM
i agree with Eric, should used alittle more caution, that thing could have killed somone. I seen a tree service fly around a corner and a great big chain saw went flying out the side of their truck and hit a car in the back door were a little one was sitting. not good ...not good at all. little one was ok but a diaper change was in order!

TreffertLawnWrx
01-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Insurance has to cover it with fulll coverage. I doesnt matter if he didnt own it. Its just like runnig into a mailbox, ect.... Thats what an insurance company does for you. No way in hell would I pay. Besides the dealer should have you fill out a form assuming responsibility for the eqiupment. What happens if it was stolen, thats what a dealer has insurance for. They cant let mowers leave without insurance for that very reason!

TotalCareSolutions
01-19-2004, 04:06 PM
I could be mistaken, i did not check my policy, but if the trailer is behind an automobile and on the road when something like this happens, isn't it linked to the trailer/automobile insur., which has to be added to the auto policy?