PDA

View Full Version : Overgrown lawn ! NEED HELP!

rhs69er
01-16-2004, 10:34 PM
I hope someone can help!? Just bought home where no yard care has been done for about 2yrs. . Had it bush hogged (3-4' tall) and will be trying mow on highest level and rake up excess before I try for a new yard.Most I guess could be considered field grass because it is growing in large lumps. Any way to resolve this short of tearing up the whole yard???????

FrankenScagMachines
01-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Mow regularly at a high height on your mower, after a year or two it will resemble a yard, not great but a yard. would be worth a try. i know it works cause i've kept a small portion of my neighbor's pasture (not used anymore) mowed down for the last two or three years. It's still not very thick or nice but you could probably work with it.
If you could rent a tractor with a rototiller attachment and a box blade you could shape it up nicely and have a good surface to seed. Or a skid steer with a Harley power rake box attachment might be better.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-16-2004, 10:42 PM
How big is it?

rhs69er
01-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Wanting to seed 3+ acres so I can have a nice yard , but should I seed with an aggressive grass or just kill all existing grass?

workaholic
01-18-2004, 10:22 PM
I would mow it first down to a manageable height remove all clippings. Continue mowing it lower to about an 1'' and if you are capable of spraying herbicide to kill unwanted weeds. once that is completed i would rent, borrow or contract out a slit seeder to over seed the lawn and start a fertilizer program.

PaulJ
01-19-2004, 02:07 AM
Mow it a few times, treat for broadleaf weeds, aerate the heck out of it then overseed with a turf type fesue and about 10% bluegrass in the blend, fertilize, and water like crazy.

that's just a rough outline.

HOMER
01-19-2004, 07:23 AM
I'd burn it first and get all the excess dead stuff outa there.

65hoss
01-19-2004, 10:25 AM
3 acres, why not get someone with a tiller and tractor to come in and till it or disc it up. Smooth it out and broadcast seed. I'm assuming you would be using a cool season grass.

allstar
01-19-2004, 10:49 AM
If you just cut it.water it regularly and apply a good fertilizer w/weed killer(something like Scott's Turfbuilder Plus) you'll have a better-than-average looking yard in just a few seasons.Your yard will consist of several different kinds of grasses, which can still look OK, if healthy and maintained.If you want it to look really nice you'll probably have to disc it,level it and put out some grass seed or sod.

rhs69er
01-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!