PDA

View Full Version : need help with a bid

draftlawncare
01-17-2004, 11:28 PM
i need some help on this one bad . here it is 66.25 acres at 4 sites averaging about 12 miles apart .The first 2 are schools 1 with 8.25 acres about 2 hours weedeating on flat ground. The other school has 24 acres all of it can be mowed on riding mower about 4 1/2 hours weedeating .Next are the parks the first park has 28 acres all flat with about 7 hours of weedeating the other is 6 acres and 2 hours weedeating . Whats the best way to bid this per acre and if so how much? Are by the hour and if so how much per hour? any help would be great a contract like this could really help my company grow

packerbacker
01-17-2004, 11:32 PM
i told someone earlier i bid about $4.00 per thousand square feet, you do the math, im to lazy

juststarting023
01-18-2004, 01:40 AM
$3550.00 per week @28 cuts = 99374.99 per year or $1500.00 per acre

promower
01-18-2004, 03:23 AM
what size mowers will you be running?

draftlawncare
01-18-2004, 03:31 AM
pro master 300 25 hp 60 inch deck ~~~ yuk 260z 27 hp 60 inch deck thats my baby

work_it
01-18-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by juststarting023
$3550.00 per week @28 cuts = 99374.99 per year or $1500.00 per acre You just beat me out. Around here the going price per acre ranges between $65-$75; depending on the trimming involved. It sounds like this job would be on the $75/acre range. He's also in the transitional zone and would probably want to bid it at 32 or 33 cuts. I was able to get in 39 cuts this last year. The biggest problem I can see is that someone with a combination of tractors and zero turn riders is going to come in and rip your bid to shreds. With the equipment you have: 66.25 acres X $75= $4968.75 X 32 cuts = $159,000/yr. Good luck, especially considering you're dealing with the school systems.

promower
01-18-2004, 09:59 AM
Yeah like work-it said if someone bids using tractors they will probably be well below what you bid. Thats a lot of mowing for aone account, good luck with it.

draftlawncare
01-18-2004, 01:49 PM
thanks for the the info guys i dont think i can get anywhere $75 an acre around here the job is split up into 4 sections its 260 acres all together i know there we be alot of lowballers on this bid i am thinking of buying another 260z and try around $40- $45 a acre ... what do you think???????? its a 30 week mowing season

work_it
01-18-2004, 09:16 PM
I know a lot of guys here would have to agree with me when I say; if you can afford to do it for $40-$45/acre then bid it that way. If you bid 260 acres at $40/acre for 30 cuts you will be bidding $312,000. If you get that, the first thing I would suggest is a 3 year contract so you can afford adding on another 2 or 3 crews along with the tractors to do the work. That's huge, and you may want to consider what you're getting into before bidding it. Are you going to have to treat the grounds? What is your insurance going to cost you? Are you also prepared to get hit with the taxes? You might be able to pull this off, but you need to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you get in over your head. Another thing you may want to consider is a contract that will include snow removal. You may be able to make up some lost ground there. The biggest part of it all is securing the bid for a minimum of 3 years so that you're not stuck with a lot of equipment your still paying for and don't have the work to support it.

J Hisch
01-18-2004, 10:27 PM
If your a small company it may not be the right time for you to take that kind of work on at this time. if you do get it think of it like this. they probably bid it out every year, and if you add employee's and equipment you may just find yourself breaking even. If you dont take it right now you could add more business with out the cost of extra equipment or additional emp. and have a more profitable year. growth must be calculated with all eggs in one basket and bills depending on that basket you just might be putting yourself into the out of business market. just some thoughts

draftlawncare
01-18-2004, 11:34 PM
i agree i dont think i could take the whole 260 acres but the 66 acres i think would be well suited for my business i am a small company its just me and my brother inlaw and a few friends when needed . right now we mow about 45 acres a week so we have 3 days we need to fill just wanted to now if there is profit at $40 a acre on a job with 66 acres i will have to drive a hour each way to the job this bid is for mowing weedeating , blowing only

olderthandirt
01-19-2004, 12:00 AM
I use to do the local school and park 60 acres total of open mowing except around the school where there were a lot of trees and play ground equip. and fencing. I charge $1200 and used 2 -72 in Z and 11ft gang on a trac and it took 4 of us 8-9 hrs for everything. I got out bid this yr 1 guy going to do it with a 60in. Z solo. for $900. I think I got a pretty good chance of getting it back.

Mac

draftlawncare
01-19-2004, 12:13 AM
the more i here all the low prices for the big jobs makes me just want to leave them alone i cant mow 66 acres for what i mow 24-25 acres for .why does the price come down when the acreage goes up?

work_it
01-19-2004, 02:06 AM
simple, because guys that are underequipped think that they can do it for a lot less than guys that have tractors with 11' gang on a tractor who know what they're in for when they bid a job that big. ;-)

draftlawncare
01-19-2004, 02:25 AM
work it on that 66 acres i was thinking in the ballpark of $75k-$80k its four sites 8.25 acres 24acres 28acres 6 acres thats turning a nice profit use the equipment a have now thats as low as would go no matter what kinda equipment i had i can mow for that and be happy

work_it
01-20-2004, 03:43 AM
Draftlawncare, at $40/acre your bid will be $79,500. I'm not sure what your living expenses, overhead, or operating costs are. If I really needed the work I just know for me that I wouldn't be able to do it for less than $60/acre which would put me at $119,250/yr on 30 cuts. I can't tell you what's right or wrong for you, just me. As with any bid, the decision rests on your shoulders. Just be careful not to get in over your head. Taking on a high profile job like that can either make you or put you under. After all, it's your reputation that's on the line; not any body elses. Good luck, and keep us posted on the outcome.

GarPA
01-20-2004, 06:22 AM
That large of an account is allot of eggs being put into one basket for a small company like yours. I would not touch it unless I had minimum of a 2 year contract...preferably 3 as mentioned above. I dont have experience with an account that large so I can't help you with the price....just be very careful...this could indeed make you or break you. Also consider if you can REALLY handle this when it needs mowed every 4 to 5 days in spring. Friend of mine last year took one similar to this and he was stressed out the entire year. He was using a 52 and a 60 and he said his smaller accounts were suffering because of the time he had to spend on the 50 acres. Maybe you said this but I dont remember, but what happens if we have a prolonged drought this summer?? These big wide open properties tend to go dormant quicker than more shaded, smaller properties. I would not commit that kind of time per week unless I had a guarantee of monthly payment, regardless of weather conditions.

draftlawncare
01-20-2004, 05:27 PM
GARPA first off i would not even think of bidding on it if there was no guarantee of getting paid regardless of weather i know i could handle a account like this easily since i only have 4 residental lawns . the rest of my accounts run from 5 to 25 acres it just seems the only accounts i get are commercial accounts last season we where mowing around 45 acres in 2 1/2days to 3 days .... besides i just was emailed the winning bids for last year threw the bid in the trash 66 acres $21,000 i cant touch that i dont see how any body could ............. thanks everybody for the help

work_it
01-20-2004, 06:29 PM
No wonder that company got the bid. They only pay the current lawn company $10.57/acre. I don't understand how they thought they could possibly get a cheaper price than that. IMHO, It's LCO's like that who deserve to go under; which may be the reason they're taking bids. I would go ahead and send in your bid regardless of what they were paying last year. Who knows, the guy that was doing it last year may have dropped the bomb on them raising his price above yours.

draftlawncare
01-20-2004, 11:33 PM
work it .. you think thats bad there is a 105 acre section that went for $37,000 and some change i dont care what kind of equipment you got you still have to pay for it .i dont see how these guys are doing it

work_it
01-20-2004, 11:39 PM
I didn't say to change your bid. I said submit the bid that you were originally planning to. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't do it for any less. I'm just saying that you don't know the circumstances that are behind them seeking bids. You may just get it if you bid on it. You won't know until you try.

olderthandirt
01-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by work_it
I didn't say to change your bid. I said submit the bid that you were originally planning to. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't do it for any less. I'm just saying that you don't know the circumstances that are behind them seeking bids. You may just get it if you bid on it. You won't know until you try.

Ditto 100% If you don't have a bid in front of them you never have a chance, Right now it will cost you 40 cents to keep your name in front of them. A lot of these guys that get these larger acerage lose it after a month or 2 when they can't keep up or they find out there going broke doing them they just quit.

Mac