PDA

View Full Version : bid to low

draftlawncare
01-18-2004, 02:08 AM
you know you bidded to low when nobody bids on the the next year. thats what happened to me cut my own throat to the tune of $8500. But thats what happens when you dont know what you are doing. now the job pays good just wish i knew i was the only bidder this year

SHOW ME STATE RIDER
01-18-2004, 02:17 AM
raise the bid!

promower
01-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Everyone has done it, I'm going through it this year. First year offering snow removal the first commercial job I landed $55 per occurence had 4 inches a few weeks ago and it took me an hour and 45 minutes. :eek: You learn quick I did anyway the rest of my snow jobs are right on if not high after talking to others in the area.

draftlawncare
01-18-2004, 02:29 AM
i raised it 9500 dollars i just wish i knew my bid was the only one turned in this year i would have went higher .i reckon everybody thought if i mowed it cheap last year i would do it again this year. so nobody submitted a bid but me damn it was hard getting out of bed and mowing for that price i know better know . still could use alot of help

promower
01-18-2004, 02:41 AM
I know what you mean you look forward to doing work but when you underbid one you hate the account. Had a lawn account this year that was slightly underbid by about $10 PER CUT, account was the nicest one I have as far appearance when I get done but I never looked forward to doing it who says money cant buy happiness, contract is changed for next year.

work_it
01-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Sounds like the Cracker Barrel I used to work at. They have a guy doing everything (mowing, planting flowers 3 times a year, 6 step chem. program, remulching landscaping 2 times/year) for $9,800/yr. I figured out that the guy is loosing almost $13,000/year between time and materials. I don't know how these guys can afford to do it. I just know that I can't, and won't even attempt it.

SHOW ME STATE RIDER
01-18-2004, 03:25 AM
I just don't see how they do it either.We had a local nursery start a crew and they under bid everybody else in the area. Got the money making accounts and turned them into nothing. Riding 10000 dollar mowers and not a clue how to stripe.

DennisF
01-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Under-bidding mistakes are part of the learning process. Don't kick yourself for making a mistake...learn from it. Everyone on this site has under-bid an account at one time or another so you are not alone. If you keep the account you can gradually raise the price to a level that is competitive and yet profitable. Try to generate more revenue from the account on "added" services or products. Good luck.