PDA

View Full Version : carb gummed up

Blades of Steel
01-18-2004, 10:29 AM
what do you guys use prior to taking the carb apart to clean a carb out? Just curious before I tear this thing down. Or would you skip it and get out the wrench's?

Tim

HOMER
01-18-2004, 10:34 AM
I just crank the piece of equipment and spray carb cleaner in it. Seems to help out a lot.

Blades of Steel
01-18-2004, 10:35 AM
will do.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-18-2004, 01:14 PM
I have rebuilt many a carb in my time. If it is gummed up you need to tear it down to clean and blow it out properly or you will have problems when you would rather be using it. After removing carb I spray & blow with carb cleaner & compressed air to remove dirt on the outside of carb. Then remove float bowl (check crap on bottom of bowl), pull pin and remove float with seat valve. then remove main jet and spray all with cleaner and blow all holes and passages out very good (may repeat couple times). Then determine needle screw (idle adjustment) setting by carfully screwing inward and count exactly how many turns it takes to GENTLY seat (usually 1.5 to 2 turns). Then remove and spray and blow this all very well and clean pointed tip of screw valve with cloth soaked with the carb cleaner to remove any varnish. Now reasemle by putting idle screw back in , Gently seat it then back it out to the same setting you counted earlier, clean and reinstall main jet, reinstall float with seat valve ( dont bend tabs to float setting), clean bottom of bowl and your done. This is just a basic coverage, but if it was running good before it got gummed up all the setting where probably set ok so you shouldnt have to reset things like float level or idle adjusments, ect.

dishboy
01-18-2004, 03:23 PM
spay with carb cleaner and then blow with compressed air as above.

muddstopper
01-18-2004, 04:15 PM
heres you a tip for making a carb cleaner. Take a clean 1 gal paint can with lid., drill hole in side of can next to the bottom. soilder a fitting to the hole that will accept a small pitcock and attach a cheap air regulator to the pitcock . Drill the lid full of small holes. Place dismanteled carb inside of can and add enough carb cleaner to cover carb. Replace lid on can. Attach air hose to air regulator and turn open pitcock. You want just enough air to make the cleaner boil inside the can. Let carb boil in cleaner for about fifteen min and remove and use air to blow it out. The carb will look like new. I use a smaller can inside the gal can to hold the small parts. the small can is drilled full of small holes in sides and bottom and hangs from the lid of the gal can. Using a system such as this saves cleaner as it can be uses over again.

KenH
01-18-2004, 04:24 PM
What I have always done when I had carb. troubles, and never had to do anything further was to shut off gas to carb, then remove float bowl. Turn on gas (have a collection cup) and pull starter rope a few times (sparkplug out of course). I did this until gas was flowing freely out of the carb. The only carbs I ever tore totally apart were on my 2 cycle stuff.

o-so-n-so
01-18-2004, 07:44 PM
mudstopper...that is a great little tip for the do it yourselfers.

If that carb is varnished over bad, the only way to clean it properly is to disassemble and soak in carb cleaner.
I would go ahead and rebuild it as well. Kit should run less than $15.00 scoops, easy to install. Be sure to replace or install a quality in line filter. (if applicable)