PDA

View Full Version : learn from me...23 and falling apart

imalandscper
01-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Make sure when you work you lift rightand take good care of your bodies...... I am only 23 and i have 2 herniatd discs in my back and a pinched nerve. In addition I just hard hernia sergury on 1/16/04....today is the 18 and i am so sore. All because i thought i could do so much more. So all this talk about equipment and working hard is good and fine. But do not forget about the machine that runs the whole show. Your body. Take care of it. Cause trust me, lifiting that boulder or straining yourself is not worth it. Not at all. It takes me 10 mins to get out of my chair and in to the bathroom. So take care of yourseves and have a good next season. Hope you all have good cutting.

Andy

Sean Adams
01-18-2004, 02:00 PM
I know what you mean....same problems for me about 10 years ago, as well as bad knees and ankles.....16 weeks of Physical Therapy for my back to avoid surgery...I'm sure there are better options now, but either way, taking care of yourself is the best option.

imalandscper
01-18-2004, 02:03 PM
isn't it the worst not knowing if you are gonna be able to get out of bed in the morning? They are thinking that i need to have back surgery cuase physical therapy didn't do a thing....But that is next winter...I can only take one surgery a winter!!!

Andy

chipk1
01-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Work smarter NOT harder. Tools and Equipment are made for a reason!

DFW Area Landscaper
01-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Same problem here. Not as bad, though. I have this nerve that shocks me all the way down the left side of my left leg down to my ankle. They did an MRI and it's a pinched nerve. The surgeon said that without surgery it should dissolve within 4 years.

I'm 34, fwiw.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

imalandscper
01-18-2004, 02:09 PM
That is the kiler....i have all the tools and all the equipment but i was always in too big of a hurry to use it..... i just figured a hell i can do it just lift them boulders instead of taking the time to load up the skid steer and unload. Well the time i shoulda spent loading and unloading i am burning up now sitting in my lazy boy hurting when i should be getting everything ready for next season.

Andy

DUSTYCEDAR
01-18-2004, 02:14 PM
i feel your pain
i am 30 now and trying 2 keep up with 20 year olds i have messed up my back, knees and other body parts
i now work smarter
most of the time LOL
good luck with the recovery

pcnservices
01-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Andy,
Sorry to hear about your back problems. I hope you recover well from surgery and be back on the job stronger than before.
Get well soon!
PC

bobbygedd
01-18-2004, 02:19 PM
good luck , and hope you have a speedy recovery. i said it a million times, your most important tool=your body

ElephantNest
01-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Sean Adams
I know what you mean....same problems for me about 10 years ago, as well as bad knees and ankles.....16 weeks of Physical Therapy for my back to avoid surgery...I'm sure there are better options now, but either way, taking care of yourself is the best option.

Same here...broken back, opted for the 12 or so weeks or therapy. Rough times.

Hope things get better for you.

~Nest

Sean Adams
01-18-2004, 02:23 PM
here's a familiar one for those with back pain or those who have had back pain....

waking up in the morning and rolling in bed back and forth until you have enough momentum that you actually can roll yourself on to the floor...where you lay in pain, hoping that the stretches you are about to do will miraculously "POP" your problem back into place and you can get on with your life....

I have told people with a straight face if I had to do it all over again I would rather lose a finger than go through the excruciating pain I had with my back, not to mention the frustration of not being able to stand, sit, sleep, or even use the bathroom.

muddstopper
01-18-2004, 02:30 PM
You should start each day doing streching exercises. A few years ago I was down to where I just about couldnt walk. My feet hurt so bad that I didnt even want to put them on the floor. My knees hurt when I walked and my back would get a catch in it and send pain down my back and legs. Went to a foot doctor about my feet. found out that the arches in my feet had been drawing up because of improper walking habits. Precribed stretching exercises to stretch out my arches. The pain in my back and knees was caused because of the way I was distributing the wieght on my feet to compensate for my feet hurting, this inturn caused more pressure on my feet and the cycle just kept getting worse. I now stretch everymorning and have stopped having foot, knee or back pain. No pills and no surgery and no cordezone shots.

Evan528
01-18-2004, 02:43 PM
I am 19 and already have severe pain in the lower left side of my back at times. I have gone the chiroprator route wich was wanderful for temporary releif but its a pain so sharp at time I cant even stand up without falling to the ground in pain. The doctors can not find anything wrong. They say its just muscle spasms wich I just cant exept for this severity of pain. The fact that I have been doing this type of work since the age of 9 is probly part of the problem I amagine as I was doing very strenuous work before I muscles were developed. I can be pain free for 6 months at a time and then do as little and stand up out of a chair and there comes the crippling pain. Codein and lots of advil seem to be the only way to control the pain:(

mh1314
01-18-2004, 06:15 PM
imalandscper

Hope you get well soon...hang in there....

Maybe it's a good time to look into LCO management until you return to form

Eric 1
01-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Wow,hope you get beter soon.

I think that i will be alittle more carefull after reading some of that.I am in perfect shape and would like to keep it that way.

p.s. not to rub it in but i have never even broke a bone .the worst injury i have had was a deep cut on my foot that kept me from walking for about 3 days.

SIRCAESAR
01-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Man you guys I hope you all feel better, try to let the machines do all the work when possible..

trying 2b organic
01-18-2004, 07:26 PM
I have a bad back, yoga is the best thing for it. Im finally old enough that even if im with a crew i wont over lift even if stupid pride is on the line. If im moving a burlap tree or just lifting tarps i do light and slow. We guys can be really stupid about showing we can lift more, what a dumb contest.

pokemon
01-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your pain I can relate. Get well soon

outrunjason
01-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Ok for all of you that have that pinched nerve and pain here is something to look at. Now this is a shoe with a spring on it. I know my father has just bought it for about $150. It's pretty comfortable maybe a little bounce but comfortable. Only think I don't know is how well it would be on grass. Also no steel toe or waterproof. But if comfort is what you are looking for it might be nice.

http://www.zcoil.com/

Jason

TotalCareSolutions
01-18-2004, 11:19 PM
I wish you a strong, quick and healthy recovery.

Originally posted by imalandscper
just lift them boulders

As for the rest of us...don't lift boulders.

Have you seen those guys in 'Worlds Strongest Man' lifting those stones?

1grnlwn
01-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Don't forget the 3 Ibuproben every morning before stretches.

promower
01-19-2004, 01:21 AM
Regular workouts/stretching even short ones 20 min or so does wonders for preventing injury. I think I may be a wreck in 5-10 years already suffered 6 broken bones, one a shattered knee cap that was several years ago and I still get pain once in a while.

swonkeg
01-19-2004, 08:26 AM
I Feel Your Pain...
I had back surgery Nov. 17, 2003 for a cyst on my sciatic nerve. Dr. got in surgery and found cyst was actually the fluid from a torn disc which my body isolated so instead of 2 hours surgery it was four and instead of 6-8 weeks recovery (no work) it has turned into 12-14 weeks of no lawn work....Thank God for friends and family.

lilred731
01-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Hang in there buddy. Just remember you could be worst shape. I understand and know what you are going through. I am 30 and have had hernia surgery in 1993. After that I gave up playing SUPERMAN and decided to be a man instead. I realized this after a week in the hospital and another two weeks in my apartment taking care of myself. Three years later in 1996 I had another injury a dislocated shoulder, my shoulder was were my armpit should have been. In 1999 I had another dislocated shoulder, same shoulder, from all things yawning. My arms were over my head and dislocation happened. This tine I opted for the surgery to tighten my tendons in my shoulder. Out of work for 5 months. That was very bad. In 2001 I discovered I have a bulging disk and arthritis in my back. The arthritis was from playing sports, go figure.

STAN1366
01-19-2004, 06:31 PM
I know where you're coming from. I too have a herniated disc. Caused severe pain down my right leg from azz cheek to heel. 1st Dr. wanted me under the knife so I went to another guy who actually did surgery on my wife's back. He saw me about 3 weeks after this all started. I was feeling a little better by then and he just told me to exercise and be careful w/ what I did. If I was feeling better, then just keep doing what I was doing and try to AVOID surgery. If things got worse, come back and he'd operate. That's what I did and I've been OK for 5 yrs now. I'm by no means fit and trim w/ 6-pack abs. I just don't over do the lifting anymore. I just turned 50 and so I know that I can't do what I used to be able to and I try to keep that in mind whenever I've got something serious to do. It ain't the end of the world, but having to stay inside healing when you could be doing other things can be depressing. Don't give up...hang in there.

impactlandscaping
01-20-2004, 05:14 AM
This is what we hire people younger than us to do for us. I have had a herniated disc, blown knee, severely stretched ACL, and have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands.I'm 31, and during the regular season, I eat 3-4 800 mg Ibuprofen like candy some days.And nights to get some sleep I take another 800-1600mg to give me a "loading dose" for the next morning.Take care of your body, it's the only non-replaceable , depreciating piece of equipment we have.

greendave
01-20-2004, 11:18 AM
I feel your pain.....here's wishing you a speedy recovery. I'm 47, and after 30 years of bending over fenders I've got a nasty case of 'mechanic back' that will limit me until the day I die. Take care of your body, it's the only one you'll get......
Regards, David

yardmonkey
01-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Wow - not the happiest thread here.

I'm not the most physical guy and not that young either (almost 48). My back is not in the best shape and I've had some problems with feet, knees, legs also. I had major problems with my hands and arms shortly after starting in the lawncare/landscaping industry 4 years ago. This took me a lot deeper into studying how to get stronger and healthier, which I have been working on my whole life, since I have never been that happy with my physical condition. I have learned a lot and have put a lot of info on my website. Hopefully I will write up a lot more of this in the future, but currently I have a lot of info there about my hand problems and how I fixed that. Those interested in self-healing may want to check out some of the pages on my site:

Lots of Health links:
http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/health.htm

Some ideas on self-healing:
http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/selfheal.htm

Some good books:
http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/bodybook.htm

Hand problems:
http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/hands.htm

Stretching, strengthening and massage are the keys. I recommend looking into yoga, taichi, qigong, etc. working carefully with light weights, and maybe getting some massage or bodywork, which you can also do to yourself.

Of course prevention is better, so even people who are not currently having problems would be smart to pay some attention to getting and staying in good shape. For me it seems to be a never-ending uphill battle and I'm glad that I've been lucky enough not to have really messed myself up so far.

Good luck to everyone.....

STAN1366
01-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Thank Yardmonkey for some great info. Just what this site is all about.....sharing with each other our knowledge.

sodzilla
01-20-2004, 03:00 PM
I too have back pain. My was being stupid years ago. I use to ride bulls in the rodeo. From all bouncing and hard landings the cartledge in my lower disk is half gone. It was fun doing it but now I will be paying for it the rest of my life. I also get a pinched nerve in my neck every once and a while. Last time it took 3 weaks of PT to get it work out. Neck pain is also due to rodeo. I took a horn to the face. Broke my jaw in 3 places and busted out 2 teeth.

battags
01-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by 1grnlwn
Don't forget the 3 Ibuproben every morning before stretches.

And a six pack at the end of the day!:drinkup:

B

greendave
01-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Only six???? Takes me at least a dozen before the pain subsides!!!!

just kidding.....

battags
01-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by greendave
Only six???? Takes me at least a dozen before the pain subsides!!!!
just kidding.....

12 could lead to pain (in the head) the next morning! You would just be trading one "ale"ment for another!:D

B

greendave
01-20-2004, 04:04 PM
'ale'ment.... I like that! I'll have to remember to use that one....

Lux Lawn
01-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Andy

Get well soon spring is just around the corner hang in there.

Larry

Exact Rototilling
08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Same problem here. Not as bad, though. I have this nerve that shocks me all the way down the left side of my left leg down to my ankle. They did an MRI and it's a pinched nerve. The surgeon said that without surgery it should dissolve within 4 years.

I'm 34, fwiw.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper,

Did it dissolve in the 4 year time frame? What has been the outcome?

I also have a herniated disc with pressure on the nerve with radicular symptoms pain into my right leg.

GravyTrain
08-19-2011, 01:32 PM
talk about raising the dead...this thread is over 7 years old...holy cow.

punt66
08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
I have had 6 surgeries in the last 4 years. I currently have 4 spinal cord tumors and 2 blown out disks. I have permanrnt nerve damage and can only feel 40% of my legs. My back ALWAYS hurts and i still work 7 days a week. I have to take nerve pain meds. Lately i have noticed my spine moving. I cant sit straight in a chair or the truck. I always feel crooked no matter how i position myself. Life can be tough. I just hope to be able to watch my daughter grow for as long as i can. She is six as of today.

Exact Rototilling
08-19-2011, 01:52 PM

:laugh:

Yeah should be sufficient time for a herniated disc to reabsorb if t was going to...?
Posted via Mobile Device

madisonpressurewashing
08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
You are the #1 piece of equipment. Take care of it. Buy nice stuff to save yourself

AI Inc
08-19-2011, 02:26 PM
I have had 6 surgeries in the last 4 years. I currently have 4 spinal cord tumors and 2 blown out disks. I have permanrnt nerve damage and can only feel 40% of my legs. My back ALWAYS hurts and i still work 7 days a week. I have to take nerve pain meds. Lately i have noticed my spine moving. I cant sit straight in a chair or the truck. I always feel crooked no matter how i position myself. Life can be tough. I just hope to be able to watch my daughter grow for as long as i can. She is six as of today.

Hope she has a great bday Punt.

Exact Rototilling
08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
My eyes bugged out reading Punts post......http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/graemlins/default/shocked2.gif

My Doc told me surgery will be much sooner if I keep doing ANY manual labor...even....if I quit lawn and snow biz I still may end up under the knife.

I don't do any boulder flipping but it is that blasted clipping catcher that hangs off the mower that did the damage this season, lack of sleep working another business late in the early am hours. I side discharge and mulch when I can but this last spring it was insanely super wet with crazy growth.

I'm doing the following:
I'm working with an excellent Physical Therapist
A non yank and bank chiropractor...yeah the good kind.
A retired head and neck surgeon who is now a pain management and nutritional consultant
...going seek a recommended neurosurgeon for yet another opinion.

getting an inversion table pronto
doing my exercises
in process of understanding the mechanics [I'm a very technical person] of what I'm doing wrong and how to move and lift correctly with less impact on discs.

I may hire help next year despite my resistance to it on all fronts.
I may return to working as a A&P mechanic....? pay stinks but will still look into it.
Expand my other business...?

All option are on the table.

My brother in-law had to have emergency surgery 2 years ago [same issue or wear a diaper rest of his life] after having to be practically carried off the south rim trail on Mount Saint Helen's. Been on that trail myself twice hope to do it again once I heal up doing 99% of everything right.

Golfpro21
08-19-2011, 04:12 PM
hope you have a speedy recovery and are able to do what you need and want to do....best wishes

punt66
08-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Hope she has a great bday Punt.

Thanks. I bought he her own LapTop for a present from daddy. She is always stealing mine! I am very proud of my little wiz kid. She takes after me :) hahah

One of my disks is up high. My nuero surgeon told me he has to go in from the front. Remove the bottom 2 ribs and move my lung out of the way etc. he said is a very invasive surgery to fix. (i am so sick of bad news) He also said in his 20 years of doing them he has only had 1 person be able to go back to work after because of the high invasiveness at that location. So he told me to live with it as long as i can. :drinkup:

I am now seriously looking to retire. (no such thing for me) I am drafting up letters to clients now and will drop all year round customers. I purchased another cnc haas milling center ( a mini super mill) and will continue manufacturing products for the other business but i need to stop the intense manual labor of landscaping (i will miss being outside). But i have come to the conclusion my workaholic type life is killing me and has to give. I need to spend more time with my family and more me time fishing/hunting and riding my HD. So if anybody from my area is looking for accounts send me a PM.

ALC-GregH
08-19-2011, 06:25 PM
WOW, Punt. Never knew you had that much problems. I've had disk problems but mine are all lower. Basically the lower 4 disks are in bad shape. It took 2 years to heal up without surgery. I had 3 MRI's in the last 8 years and the last one shows a significant change for the good as far as the disks are concerned. I don't work any harder then I have too and even then I just skip the heavy lifting type work all together.

I hope you can get better. You definitely NEED to spend all your free time with the family and forget the manual labor anymore. Good luck to you.

punt66
08-19-2011, 06:40 PM
WOW, Punt. Never knew you had that much problems. I've had disk problems but mine are all lower. Basically the lower 4 disks are in bad shape. It took 2 years to heal up without surgery. I had 3 MRI's in the last 8 years and the last one shows a significant change for the good as far as the disks are concerned. I don't work any harder then I have too and even then I just skip the heavy lifting type work all together.

I hope you can get better. You definitely NEED to spend all your free time with the family and forget the manual labor anymore. Good luck to you.

Yup, i am pretty much eeffed. Some was my own doing and some was not.

ALC-GregH
08-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you can carry on and spend quality time with the family.

grassman177
08-19-2011, 07:57 PM
sorry tohear that too. i too have issues. who doesnt in this field right?

i have aherniated disc in L3, and it pinches nerves something fierce sometimes. about a month ago, i could hardly stand up or walk cuz the pain was too great and my legs were wobbly. sucked bad, then i "moved" my spine and got hte pinch to release. it was a long 4 days.

also, i have a area in between my shoulder blades that moves out all the time causing bad tension headaces and neck pain and even arm pain somtimes. it is from a car accident where despite the seatbelt and airbag....i still went thru the front windshield.

punt66
08-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Yea, this job is tough on the body for sure. I cannot do it anymore. Through this ordeal over the past year i have lost a ton weight as well and am all bone now. I have had 5 ambulance rides over the past 6 months! I used to be a strong heavy weight that could leg press 1200lbs. Now i am reduced to skin and bones. Its been rough for sure. But I am no wimp and will beat this one way or another. :drinkup:

MJB
08-20-2011, 01:06 AM
My eyes bugged out reading Punts post......http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/graemlins/default/shocked2.gif

My Doc told me surgery will be much sooner if I keep doing ANY manual labor...even....if I quit lawn and snow biz I still may end up under the knife.

I don't do any boulder flipping but it is that blasted clipping catcher that hangs off the mower that did the damage this season, lack of sleep working another business late in the early am hours. I side discharge and mulch when I can but this last spring it was insanely super wet with crazy growth.

I'm doing the following:
I'm working with an excellent Physical Therapist
A non yank and bank chiropractor...yeah the good kind.
A retired head and neck surgeon who is now a pain management and nutritional consultant
...going seek a recommended neurosurgeon for yet another opinion.

getting an inversion table pronto
doing my exercises
in process of understanding the mechanics [I'm a very technical person] of what I'm doing wrong and how to move and lift correctly with less impact on discs.

I may hire help next year despite my resistance to it on all fronts.
I may return to working as a A&P mechanic....? pay stinks but will still look into it.
Expand my other business...?

All option are on the table.

My brother in-law had to have emergency surgery 2 years ago [same issue or wear a diaper rest of his life] after having to be practically carried off the south rim trail on Mount Saint Helen's. Been on that trail myself twice hope to do it again once I heal up doing 99% of everything right.

It's smart to get a good chiropractor. I have 2 that I use , I barter the lawn maintenance for treatments. After 10 yrs I still fall apart sometimes where I can't get out of bed, but they get me going again. Plus I am very big into alternatives for inflamation and joint lubrication, always looking and trying things . When I find one that works for my back pain from broken L4, and bad knees at 54 , I stick with it and so far no more doctors.

I refuse to do surgury as long as other things exist. I take my TJ Clark minerals, and collagen everyday and notice things are getting better. That and remove sugar from your diet I use stevia powder.

MJB
08-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Yea, this job is tough on the body for sure. I cannot do it anymore. Through this ordeal over the past year i have lost a ton weight as well and am all bone now. I have had 5 ambulance rides over the past 6 months! I used to be a strong heavy weight that could leg press 1200lbs. Now i am reduced to skin and bones. Its been rough for sure. But I am no wimp and will beat this one way or another. :drinkup:

Your no wimp if you been thru all that and still talking about any kind of work.
This may sound strange but when you have a really bad day pain wise, have you ever gone over the food you ate for the previuos 24 hrs? Just a suggestion a Dr had me do 10 yrs ago. Now when I wake up in intense pain I know what I ate that triggered the inflamation, and inflamation causes pain and disease. Just something to think about I know if I eliminate certain foods from my diet I feel like a new worn out broken down lawn guy.:laugh: But it is better than the old me.

Exact Rototilling
08-20-2011, 02:21 AM
WOW, Punt. Never knew you had that much problems. I've had disk problems but mine are all lower. Basically the lower 4 disks are in bad shape. It took 2 years to heal up without surgery. I had 3 MRI's in the last 8 years and the last one shows a significant change for the good as far as the disks are concerned. I don't work any harder then I have too and even then I just skip the heavy lifting type work all together. I hope you can get better. You definitely NEED to spend all your free time with the family and forget the manual labor anymore. Good luck to you.

What is your secret for improving your Lumbar discs on a MRI...? This gives me hope. This is not just I think I feel better but proof of improvement.

lifetree
08-20-2011, 02:47 AM

I couldn't believe it either !!

ALC-GregH
08-20-2011, 07:29 AM
What is your secret for improving your Lumbar discs on a MRI...? This gives me hope. This is not just I think I feel better but proof of improvement.

The best thing I did was nothing at all. I didn't work for 2 years. The doctor gave me meds for pain and swelling. That's it. The doctor said disks will shrink over time and stop the pressure on the nerve tubes coming off the spine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not body builder at all. I have my moments when I feel it if I work for to long at a time. Sometimes I have stabbing pain but when I move a curtain way it pops and I feel better. Just the worn out disks moving around some. I also use a inversion table. That helps too.

Rewind to when I hurt my lower back. I lifted something heavy and felt and heard a crack in my back. After that I couldn't walk right. The pain in my right leg was so bad that I had to limp and couldn't put any weight on my leg. 3 weeks later while limping along, I felt a pop and instantly the pain was gone. This was a "on the job" injury so it took a month before I could get treatment. Once I went to the doctor, they did a MRI and said I blew out a disk (herniated) , had two degenerated disks and a bulging disk all in a row. After 2 year it got better from literally doing nothing. It's been close to 10 years now and I'm doing OK but really need to work on getting other health issues straightened out. Now I'm having breathing problems that relate to smoking.

Snapper Jack
08-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Now I'm having breathing problems that relate to smoking.
I was having breathing problems myself,real bad,couldn't do much of anything without being extremely exhausted out. So after 40 years of that bad habit I JUST LAID THEM DOWN AND QUIT.So now I bicycle a few miles to rebuild my breathing stamina,it helps. Anyway I hope your breathing issues rebound to a somewhat normal status.

punt66
08-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Your no wimp if you been thru all that and still talking about any kind of work.
This may sound strange but when you have a really bad day pain wise, have you ever gone over the food you ate for the previuos 24 hrs? Just a suggestion a Dr had me do 10 yrs ago. Now when I wake up in intense pain I know what I ate that triggered the inflamation, and inflamation causes pain and disease. Just something to think about I know if I eliminate certain foods from my diet I feel like a new worn out broken down lawn guy.:laugh: But it is better than the old me.

Yes, i have changed my diet which contributed to my massive weight loss. I take vitamins twice a day and have eliminated fast food, greasy food and foods with a lot of sauces. If you have any ideas as far as the foods go i am all ears. Right now i am basically eating 1 meal a day with fruit snacks all day. I eat at least 4 pieces of fruit a day. The stress in the past year has all but eliminated my appettite.

grassman177
08-20-2011, 12:13 PM
i have wanted an inversion table for awhile now.

please tell me more about that and how it feels.

i have wanted to hang uspide down cuz i feel like i need to relieve the pressure in the discs and stretch out. it just feels like i need that, you should know what i mean by that.

Exact Rototilling
08-20-2011, 01:10 PM

i have wanted to hang uspide down cuz i feel like i need to relieve the pressure in the discs and stretch out. it just feels like i need that, you should know what i mean by that.

Just put mine together last night. Unless your doc or PT says no get one Asap.

My doctor said a family member of his avoided surgery by using one. Makes perfect sense to unload the spine etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
08-20-2011, 03:16 PM
i want to, but themoney is tight and the cheapy ones are still like 200 bucks.

i have been told it should be fine for me to use one

j-ville native
08-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Dang you guys... reading this stuff is real eye opening to me. This thread is making me want go order that $350 suspension seat from northern tool for my ztr. I just don't want to be in pain when I'm older. Anyone use those should straps that come with the stihl trimmers? I never use them. I think I actually threw mine in the garbage a long time ago but yall have me thinking shoulder straps might not be a bad idea after all even if they look and feel silly

grassman177
08-20-2011, 06:52 PM
i used a ztr for years before suspension seats were standard and affordable. THAT killed my back

nathannc
08-20-2011, 07:23 PM
I think everyone in this business should be aware of the damage the constant pounding operating a ZTR can do to the back and probably some internal organs as well. I only do this part time and it wasn't a year before I started feeling some discomfort in my back operating my eXmark even with a suspension seat. Now I use a suspension seat and a Ferris mower which has made a huge difference. I am glad to see other manufacturers such as Scag beginning to include effective suspension systems on their mowers and I hope others follow suit. I think the members of this industry should demand it.

cherharr503
08-20-2011, 07:34 PM
some guys dont want to get the good mowers and work with things that are bad for them, think about how much money you spend on your truck and car and how much money you spend on your house and how much it costs to maintain it, those things are mere accesories to the main thing... you. take good care of yourselves becouse when your back is failing you at 30 and your knees are shot at 40 it wont matter how much money you saved on that seat or how much time you saved not putting on your earmuffs, you will wish that you could pay 100 times more than what you saved to have your body in good condition.

nathannc
08-20-2011, 07:44 PM
it wont matter how much money you saved on that seat or how much time you saved not putting on your earmuffs, you will wish that you could pay 100 times more than what you saved to have your body in good condition.

Protecting the ears is crucial. If you get tinnitus from long term exposure to loud noise, the ringing in your ears will never go away. It can get so loud for some that it causes hearing loss, poor sleep, and actually drives some people mad.

MJB
08-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Yes, i have changed my diet which contributed to my massive weight loss. I take vitamins twice a day and have eliminated fast food, greasy food and foods with a lot of sauces. If you have any ideas as far as the foods go i am all ears. Right now i am basically eating 1 meal a day with fruit snacks all day. I eat at least 4 pieces of fruit a day. The stress in the past year has all but eliminated my appettite.

Are you getting enough omega 3's they say 1 to 3 grams of the epa in fish oil per day will eliminate both inflamation, and stress? If your balance of omega 3's to omega 6 is off which most people are way off, from eating fast food or restaurant food,, you need 3 times the O 3's to O6's or you'll get more inflamation, and can't deal with stress very well at all. A good shark liver oil supplement or other fish oil supplement will relax you within minutes of taking it usually, take a tablespoon full with food. But there are many other factors too, that your body needs to heal as much as possible.

As far as diet I removed bread, and many processed foods, no msg too this will really screw you up. Look at labels for it. I eat grass fed beef, and for dairy I buy raw organic milk. We grow a lot of garden vegetables which is nice too. This is just a starting point you learn what works for you as you go. If you can't eat drink plenty of protein and amino acid supplements.

MJB
08-20-2011, 07:53 PM

Inversion tables are great depending on your problem. I used one for over 15 yrs and it helped a lot. But after I turned 50 I would be hanging and all o a sudden my back would pop so hard my breath would go away so now my Dr says no to that. I've had a broken L4 for 30 yrs and lived with it using the table. Just don't go fully inverted start out slow and let gravity do it's thing.

j-ville native
08-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I think everyone in this business should be aware of the damage the constant pounding operating a ZTR can do to the back and probably some internal organs as well. I only do this part time and it wasn't a year before I started feeling some discomfort in my back operating my eXmark even with a suspension seat. Now I use a suspension seat and a Ferris mower which has made a huge difference. I am glad to see other manufacturers such as Scag beginning to include effective suspension systems on their mowers and I hope others follow suit. I think the members of this industry should demand it.

I'm looking into a suspension seat and was wondering why your suspension seat on your ferris is better than the one on your exmark? Is it the brand of suspension seat or is it because of the design of the ferris? Which ferris do you have?

punt66
08-20-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm looking into a suspension seat and was wondering why your suspension seat on your ferris is better than the one on your exmark? Is it the brand of suspension seat or is it because of the design of the ferris? Which ferris do you have?

Thw suspension seat is the same but a ferris has independent suspension as well.

Exact Rototilling
08-20-2011, 10:22 PM
i want to, but themoney is tight and the cheapy ones are still like 200 bucks.

i have been told it should be fine for me to use one

Retail on the one I bought is $200 but was on sale for $100.

Try Craigslist tons of them listed in my area. It was just faster and close to the same cost at half price as many used ones.

Going to rig up a laptop holder for upside down time so I can be on lawnsite and decompress my spine at the same time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
My chiropractor gave me a copy of an article that explains the different loads put on.the back. Even sitting at an office desk is hard on your back lots of driving also very bad. Truthfully I will probably never own a ZTR since lower back load on your discs is much higher than standing or walking. When I use the stander plate BOP sulky on my Quick 44 dually I basically stand on the balls of my feet and use my calf muscles to take the shock out of the ride.

What I'm trying to say is spinal disc compression is much greater sitting vs standing or probably walking.

I don't have medical insurance and now this has all been entered into my.medical records so if I ever had to have back surgery it will come out of my hide. Cash discount up front payment for hernia surgery was only $3700 Last October. Back surgery I'm sure would be vastly more.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
08-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Retail on the one I bought is $200 but was on sale for $100.

Try Craigslist tons of them listed in my area. It was just faster and close to the same cost at half price as many used ones.

Going to rig up a laptop holder for upside down time so I can be on lawnsite and decompress my spine at the same time.
Posted via Mobile Device

that is true devotion there. nice.

i will have to look it up on the list, see if i can get a deal. i have had less issues since i have been using the grandstand mowers this year compared to the wright standers. they ride so so much smoother and that has helped alot, but it is still worse everytime it acts up i swear

Maxify
08-21-2011, 05:53 AM
I guess we're into comparing how our bodies are letting us down or holding us up, so to speak.

Spinal Fusion (C-Section 4-5-6) with disc removal. ('01, I think)

Right hand middle finger bottom knuckle replacement. ('10)

Both knees replaced with Triathlete Stryker Appliances ('08-'09)'

'08 gave up eating any more than 25 gms of carbs per day.
Dr. figures it probably added 20 yrs to my life, if not more. Tells me that she wishes she had my blood and resp. stats.

Still though, there are times when I wish I had the OEM parts back and 20 more years to spend with the Mrs. The man in the mirror ain't the man in the one I remember. Who is that guy, anyway?

nathannc
08-21-2011, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=Maxify;4136744]I guess we're into comparing how our bodies are letting us down or holding us up, so to speak.

Spinal Fusion (C-Section 4-5-6) with disc removal. ('01, I think)

Right hand middle finger bottom knuckle replacement. ('10)

Both knees replaced with Triathlete Stryker Appliances ('08-'09)'

'08 gave up eating any more than 25 gms of carbs per day.
Dr. figures it probably added 20 yrs to my life, if not more. Tells me that she wishes she had my blood and resp. stats."

For the kind of surgical procedures you have received, the U.S. is one of the best countries in the world to live in. As far as general health, it is one of the worst being something like 77th in the world. This is behind some so called third world countries. It is primarily what we eat and the toxins we are exposed to. Some of it is due to our heath care system which is something like 45th in the world.

The points are, we all need to be more careful what we eat, what toxins we are exposed to and, be more aware of what it takes to maintain our health. Like many here, I have had some health problems. A couple were due to taking pharmaceuticals for relatively minor problems that could have been cured through natural methods.

FlemingIslandLawnService
08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
How much does a suspension seat help out? The stock seat on my ztr is pretty ruff on me. After reading this thread I'm thinking about investing a suspension seat or even looking at some standers because I don't want to end up with the kinds of back problems that you guys have.

grassman177
08-21-2011, 05:30 PM
it helps alot especially if it is the high end models. standing is better imo, but only with a stander that has some kind of cushion, unlike the old standers i used for years. they too were rough on the back and feet and knees

Exact Rototilling
08-21-2011, 11:50 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=E8gDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA125&ots=toQBP4vHBc&dq=you're%20sitting%20on%20a%20time%20bomb%20back&pg=PA125#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here is the copy of the article from menís health May 2008 I was referring to. Check out all 4 pages. 125,126,129 and 131. I re read this numerous time to digest the and comprehend the material. I always thought improper lifting just made you muscles tired I had no real understanding of the destructive forces on my spine and back structure especially the shear forces. My MRI was a real wake up call. I always thought of myself as a very fit 46 year old who can and still pass for mid to latish 30ís. The age of the disc in my back....?

This last Thursday I was adjusting the deck height on my Q44 dually and I lifted [in the worst possible way due to habit] as I have many times before. I felt and heard a crack pop and I now have a tender spot there that persists. That is the LAST TIME I adjust deck height without using an old classic railroad brakeman's club [much like a baseball bat] for leverage.

Anyhow...all the best.

:waving:

nathannc
08-21-2011, 11:58 PM
How much does a suspension seat help out? The stock seat on my ztr is pretty ruff on me. After reading this thread I'm thinking about investing a suspension seat or even looking at some standers because I don't want to end up with the kinds of back problems that you guys have.

It helps out some and is certainly a lot better than nothing. It was not enough for me. I put a suspension seat on an eXmark and was still beat up pretty bad. I found that a suspension seat in combination with a ZTR that has an effective suspension system is the best choice. That combo makes a world of difference.