PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Racks

GBCS
01-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Which brand has the best security?

This photo from Trimmertrap does not look too secure. Looks like it could be bent very easy. What about Jungle's or others?

http://www.trimmertrap.com/racks/tt2left.jpg

chimmygew
01-18-2004, 07:23 PM
I have only used Jungle Jim's and I am glad I did. Love it. Quick and easy.

o-so-n-so
01-18-2004, 07:28 PM
I think tt security is opposite the photo. They can bend the rods but still must free the other side.

Seems that TT is a solid as they come.

good luck

sildoc
01-18-2004, 07:31 PM
build your own. Much cheaper and more secure. built mine for about 25.00 and has the tool storage added on. Holds 3 trimmers and 12 tools. am looking at building a hedge and saw holder also. we will see though.

Eric 1
01-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Sildoc,do you have any pics or a discription of that, i would love to see how to do it.If i can build it for $25 and some time thats alot cheaper than $150-200 for one.Thanks

p.s. any one elso with pics would be great to.

GBCS
01-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Although not secure, this is a cheap way to rack trimmers.

Thanks to Doc Pete.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=408188

sildoc
01-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Eric 1
Sildoc,do you have any pics or a discription of that, i would love to see how to do it.If i can build it for $25 and some time thats alot cheaper than $150-200 for one.Thanks

p.s. any one elso with pics would be great to. \

Working on my darn computer, It isn't recognizing my camera for some reason. I will post as soon as I can.
I will try to describe them for now.

Welded.
square tubing with 1 1/2 U tubing welded aprox 1-1/12 feet apart. Then drilled so that locks will go through them.
at bottom end (part that attaches to trailor) I have 2"x3" angle iron. drilled to attach to trailor. In midle and at top I have 1" flat steel attaching each post. I welded 12 and 15 1 1/2" and 2" tubular steel to hold shovels and ect. Cost about 25.00 plus time to do this. i made 2 in about 2 hours or less. I picked up all cut to length materials at my local scrap and metal place.
Good luck an I will try to get some pics soon. Have had this darn problem for over a week now.

Eric 1
01-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Thanks GBCS
thats not a bad idea.If that is an enclosed trailer so what you cant lock the rack...lock the trailer.But on an open trailer like i have you could make the posts out of steel then weld a eye hook to the post and put a lock around each tool.I may do that.

Thanks so mutch.

siclmn
01-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by GBCS
Which brand has the best security?

This photo from Trimmertrap does not look too secure. Looks like it could be bent very easy. What about Jungle's or others?

http://www.trimmertrap.com/racks/tt2left.jpg You would bend the trimmer shaft way before you would bend those.

sildoc
01-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Remo
You would bend the trimmer shaft way before you would bend those.
Techinically it is all based on leverage!
If you have a 1/2-3/4" pipe that is 2-4' long you could bend those with no problem, and not even touch the trimmer.

Technically all a lock and all something to make what ever secure is to keep the HONEST people out. Not the people that want something for nothing.

That is That.

Eric 1
01-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Sildoc..Great (sorry did not see it for some reason or would have already said THANKS)

I get the basic idea from description but a pic. would be helpfull.
Not real clear on how you made the trimmer hooks through?

sildoc
01-18-2004, 09:48 PM
they are similar to this. I found this on ebay.

Eric 1
01-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks.now i got the idea.i will try it.

NCSULandscaper
01-18-2004, 10:22 PM
I bought jungle jims for the reason that you can padlock both ends of the trimmers down.

BB36
01-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Go to www.greentouch.com.I use their trimmer racks etc.; they sell everything for the trailer.

proenterprises
01-18-2004, 11:07 PM
i have a pair similar to the yellow ones seen above which i got on ebay. they have worked excellent, and you can padlock both ends if need be.

picked them up for aroudn 55.00 dollars also...an excellent deal IMHO

Jason Rose
01-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Trimmer Trap is the best rack there is IMO. I had a jungle jims, like the yellow ones and they don't hold the trimmer shafts tight, so when driving around the trimmers tend to bounce around alot. I dunno if it's totally realted but iv'e had the same two trimmers for three years and in 2002 I had the jungle type rack and even with some blocking I added to keep then from rotating I still had alot of breakages (just littel parts, unexplained stuff). 2003 I had trimmer trap racks and NOT ONE breakage all season. Like I said, i dunno if it was just bad luck/good luck, or if in fact it was the bouncy racks, but I say Trimmer Trap all the way man!

GLS
01-19-2004, 12:50 AM
I vote for trimmer trap.

I chose it for several reasons.

I have no experience with the others, but here is my opinion on them.

Green touch - I don't like that it attatches only on the top rail. I also don't want to have to deal with pins. Don't hold as tight either.

Jungle jim - Would probably buy this one if it was more convenient...I found many places to buy the trimmer trap, ended up buying from northern tool.

Homemade racks - usually use pins. Takes more time.

Trimmer trap - I like it best because it secures on both top and bottom rail. Quickest on/off...no pins to deal with. Holds trimmers down securely.

That's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

siclmn
01-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Technically it is all based on leverage!
If you have a 1/2-3/4" pipe that is 2-4' long you could bend those with no problem, and not even touch the trimmer. The end that the picture is showing is just supporting the string end of the trimmer. The other part of the clamp which is not showing is gripping the engine end with a vice like grip that prevents the trimmer from moving or bouncing at all. This is the part of the rack which can be padlocked. The fact that trimmertrap can hold your machines and not let them move at all is the beauty of their design.

naturescape
01-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Check out the Gridiron rack. (www.novaecorp.com). It's the best rack out there IMO, worth the extra money.

DLCS
01-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by GLS
I vote for trimmer trap.

I chose it for several reasons.

I have no experience with the others, but here is my opinion on them.

Green touch - I don't like that it attatches only on the top rail. I also don't want to have to deal with pins. Don't hold as tight either.

Jungle jim - Would probably buy this one if it was more convenient...I found many places to buy the trimmer trap, ended up buying from northern tool.

Homemade racks - usually use pins. Takes more time.

Trimmer trap - I like it best because it secures on both top and bottom rail. Quickest on/off...no pins to deal with. Holds trimmers down securely.

That's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Yep, what Ryan said.

Guardian
01-20-2004, 12:44 AM
I purchased the ones that sildoc posted from Ebay. They are from a guy in AL who sends them primed and ready for you to paint whatever color you want. I bought them for my Dad who is just starting his business. So far, We like them.

I have Green Touch 3 space racks on one trailer. They lean a little, but they aren't going anywhere.

JKOOPERS
01-20-2004, 01:25 AM
I have a good trimmer rack set-up. Go to your trailer parts supply store and and buy 6 leaf spring mounts and weld them on angle at whatever height u want. Then with the holes where the leaf springs bolt bend a pin to fit in the hole and weld chain from the pin to the rack and go from there with a lock system.

Blades of Steel
01-20-2004, 07:36 AM
I personally use trimmer trap products. Bottom line is..... A lock is only going to keep an honest man honest. If a thief wants he/she will get it.

But I have had good luck with the trimmer trap locking systems. Not to mention the guys at trimmer trap will help you personally with any issues. They are just a phone call away.

Tim

odin
01-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Trimmer Trap is the best rack there is IMO

thats my opinion to ive used trimmer trap for years they are\very secure

Bigfoot
01-20-2004, 10:11 AM
My vote is for the Trimmer Trap model TT- 2. This model is very fast and easy to use. The padlocks are only going to keep someone from walking off with equipment or to slow down a experienced thief. If the bolts holding it on the trailer are not bradded or welded then someone could take racks & equipment with a couple wrenches.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-20-2004, 10:41 AM
I took some 1 1/4 inch square tubing and welded it to my trl. I spaced them out so that one is near the engine and the other is near the string head, Then i took pieces of flat bar and welded to that for the trimmer to slide in, i used the shaft as a quide so there isnt much slop and bounce going down the road, then i put some electrical tape on the flat bar to cut down on wear on the shafts, i have the flat bar drilled where i can put a pad lock on them if needed, i hope to have some pictures soon if anyone is interested, all the metal came from the salvage yard, i think i have less than 10 dollars in it, works for me

mh1314
01-20-2004, 11:08 AM
For the non-welders this is a cheaper option

http://www.precoparts.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1015&CFID=313758&CFTOKEN=31964897