PDA

View Full Version : Small Engine Repair Class

twins_lawn_care
01-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Just curious to see if anyone has taken a class like this.
I am signing up for one at a local school, as I feel I will get tremendous return on what I will learn to use in my business.

Just curious to see what peolpe have learned that have been through one.

I do a lot of work on my cars, but felt this would be a more specific class, and may learn a few tricks for the small engines.

Never know, I may be hooking up some nitrous to one of these little guys for that thick wet grass! :laugh:

ok, I'll save that for the parade car.

o-so-n-so
01-18-2004, 08:53 PM
I spent 3 years as a mechanic at a JD dealership. I used do all my own service work but now time is always an issue for me. Have lately let the dealer take over all maintenance issues. If you have general knowlege of how a engine works, a small engine has the same basic principal.

1. fuel
2. air
3. spark
4. compression

All "in time" and you can make music.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Waaaay back in high school I took small engine repair as well as auto mechanics. Cant remember a lot that I learned cause it was so long ago. Oh yea, I learned how to read a micrometer. I can honestly say that most of my knowledge about mechanics came from curiousity and reading books and manuals and talking with other freinds that are mechanics. Now at 43 I can handle most all repairs and rebuilds excluding latest technology stuff. Thats what shops are for

STAN1366
01-19-2004, 10:51 PM
It can't hurt to take a small engine class. Even if it doesn't pay to do your own repairs, someday you'll be out in the field and something minor might happen. If you can figure it out right then and there it'll be cheaper than stopping and going to the dealer from a labor & time point of view. It might also help you decide when it's better to unload a machine and get a new vs. having to dump more $$ into patching one up.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Absolutely its a benifit. If I was starting out I think that is a very good idea. Its been so long ago that I took them I honestly cant remember what I learned 26 years back. I do know that I learned a lot since then by reading books on the subjects. I can handle most all my repairs very well now, but if I needed a brush up course on new technology or something, I woulnt hesitate.