PDA

View Full Version : that's not what I want

ScCo
01-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Made a trip this last week to a local dealer who sells both toro and grasshopper. The dealer has a very good reputation for sales and service after the sale, and pushes grasshoppers almost exclusively. By that I mean that if you want a mower you sit on they push grasshoppers, and if you push it/walk behind it, they push toro.

Anyhow, I go in to see what they could do for me on a Toro Z500, and all I get is "well, you need a grasshopper 225." I explain that I am more interested in the toro, and they continue the grasshopper rebuttal. Never really got anywhere towards getting the info. I wanted on the Z500, so I politely excused myself and left.

My other option to get a mower that does what I want is the lazer z, but the local eXmark dealer is a company that I REALLY prefer not to deal with.

So, with that said, what would you all do in the situation? You have one dealer who has the best reputation in the area who wants to sell you a mower you don't want, or a dealer who has a reputation of horrible service that sells a mower that is very similar to the mower you want. Which way does a guy go?

Regards,

ScCo

Eric 1
01-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Your screwed!
Get the Exmark unless it is a bum you should not need to take it in mutch.Why buy somthing you dont whant or even like just for service. Anyhow thats my 2 cents.

J Hisch
01-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Simply, put the dealer in his place and purchase what you want too. If they refuse to sell the mower to you find out who their dist. is and phone them and inform them of the problems you have had in obtaining their product. they may sell you one direct.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Really! who is the consumer here! The way I read it you want a Toro. You say "no thank you on the Grasshopper, I want the Toro" end of discussion.

TotalCareSolutions
01-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Sounds like the problem is not so much the dealer, as it is the size of your &alls

sildoc
01-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by TotalCareSolutions
Sounds like the problem is not so much the dealer, as it is the size of your &alls
I belive he nailed it. Either turd or get off the pot. You want the mower and service. well tell them LOOK I want a Toro 500Z. Are you going to sell it to me or what?
No OK who is your distributer?
OK a 500Z what attachments do you want. End of discussion.
You have your 500Z.
Either that or get the Lazer. and no service.
2 things when buying anything. If you want a good deal never go through a sales man. they will tell you what you want to hear. Always go to the owner or manager. Goes for cars, mowers and such.
No is not a option when you are a consumer or buyer.

mtdman
01-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Sounds like the dealer has a backroom full of Grasshoppers. I'd go back in, tell them exactly what you would like to look at, and if they refuse, leave. Then call their distributor, and look for another dealer.

Sorry.

ScCo
01-18-2004, 10:13 PM
TCS...so say I stand around and make an a$$ out of myself until the dealer orders the mower I want, and the mower has problems 150 hours down the road. What are my chances of that dealer doing much to get my machine operable again in a decent amount of time. With people the way they are around here it is likely that I'd be without a mower for a good time since I would have them good and pi$$ed off at me for raising he11 to get the mower

In some cases causing a big scene works, in other cases being an a$$ isn't doing yourself or your company any favors.

proenterprises
01-18-2004, 10:14 PM
You need to let your dealer know whose wearing the pants here. Dontlet them push you into a sale just because they have a big ass supply of overstock.

Tell him that you want what you want or your hitting the road!!!!!!!

ScCo
01-18-2004, 10:16 PM
I'll be back in the dealership this next week and will discuss the issue with the owner. If he isn't any help I'll take you all's advice and contact the distributor.

That seems like the professional way to handle things. It is not a matter of not having the balls to say what I think, it's a matter of unprofessional actions and how they always have a way of coming around and biting you on the a$$.

Thanks for the advice,

ScCo

luke125
01-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by pjslawncare/landscap
Really! who is the consumer here! The way I read it you want a Toro. You say "no thank you on the Grasshopper, I want the Toro" end of discussion.

thats what you need to do and if he still goes on about the grasshopper make a big scene and ask for another person to talk to

what im trying to figure out is why would you want to try and sell the grasshopper over the toro

lawnman_scott
01-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Eric 1
Your screwed!
Get the Exmark unless it is a bum you should not need to take it in mutch.Why buy somthing you dont whant or even like just for service. Anyhow thats my 2 cents.

Exactly. And you can buy any part for them from j-thomas anyway, so you may never evan need the dealer.

o-so-n-so
01-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Why don't you demo that grasshopper, just as a drill. Carry it back and tell the dealer you didn't like it. See if he'll back off then. If not....he must be getting a major kick back for each hopper he sales.

BB36
01-18-2004, 10:50 PM
My dealer tried in vain for years to convince me to buy the Hustler mowers but I insisted I wanted the Toro mowers. They (dealer) never really explained to me why they pushed the Hustler over the Toro.
Then one day I overheard my dealer talking to his dealer friend and he said that they get only $75.00 per sale on the sale of a Toro and get more money on the sale of a Hustler,(how much more I don't know).
All I can say is to get all the information you can and then buy what you want.

TotalCareSolutions
01-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Ok, the &alls reference was a little harsh, I apologize. I didn't say anything about standing there making an a$$ out of yourself.

I had a similiar experience with a sales associate that wanted to sell "his" machine, as opposed to the best for my application. He'd fire away about the machine, even as I asked about other options. I was casually looking, so he would turn to look at new customers (prospects) entering the store and waive and say hello, even as we were mid-stream conversation. I finally took him sorta aside explained to him that I was in the business and going to buy some equiptment, but not from him. Then I quickly explained my reasons.

Sildoc stated that "No" was not an option. The salesman may have a completely different agenda and however assertive he may be, you will need to let him know what you want.

If you feel you want to be more discreet, simply ask for a different associate or the manager, you don't owe them an explanation. You could look at the guy and quietly say that you don't care to continue to negotiate with him, you'd appreciate it if he would let you try the manager.

hole in one lco
01-19-2004, 12:04 AM
You can tell him. If he is giving the grasshopper away you'll take one. If not you would like to see the toro..............

PaulJ
01-19-2004, 12:43 AM
I ran into the same thing. When I started looking at the Hustler walkbehinds. The dealer only wanted to show me the frasttracs or the scags they sell. I found a different dealer that sold hustler and I am glad I did. But the first one was over 100 miles away and the one I have now is about 50 miles away. None of the local dealers would even get a machine for me to demo. The dealer I found actually ordered in the mower the way I wanted it. I had pretty mush made up my mind by then but still had to demo one on some grass. I stuck to my guns and ended up with the mower I wanted. Hang in there.

JimLewis
01-19-2004, 12:54 AM
There are many reasons why dealers will REALLY push certain products over others. That's what's happening here. He's trying to push the grasshopper. Here are some examples of why a dealer would do that;

1) He's getting pressure from Grasshopper to either begin selling more mowers or they're going to pull him as an Authorized dealer.

2) Grasshopper has easier terms. Maybe they give him free demo units and Toro does not. Or maybe they give him free stock mowers and easier payment terms (e.g. pay only when they sell) and Toro does not.

3) Toro has offended them in some way (e.g. promised them they'd be the only "authorized dealer" in the area and then renegged and allowed a local competitor to become a Toro dealer too. )

4) They purchased a bunch of grasshoppers, they haven't sold very well. And the salesman were told to move them so they could eventually sell them off.

5) There is a much bigger dealer markup on the grasshoppers.

These are just some examples I've seen over the years. Not necessarily with these specific products. But I've seen stuff like this happen over and over.

But the other guys are right. You need to get some balls and tell this dealer you're, "really not interested in the grasshopper. Do you want my money or not???"

o-so-n-so
01-19-2004, 09:05 AM
ScCo

What about this. Do your homework and get the names and numbers of the closest toro dealer other than the hopper one.

Go to the dealership in question. Get the same salesperson that you had previously. Ask about the Toro once again. If denied, simply ask him to use his phone. (in front of his manager if possible) Call the other dealer, inquire about what you want all the way down to "do you have one in stock". Hang up and walk out and in no way stop to hear them out. Go buy from the other dealer and make a point to go back to the hopper dealer and pick up an oil filter with your brand new mower on the trailer. Now, who's got 6alls.

ScCo
01-19-2004, 05:33 PM
I'm headed back to the dealer tomorrow. Thought I was going to have to wait to Wed. but I've got an easy day tomorrow. I'll talk to the same salesman at first, and if he still refuses to get me the information I need/want, then I'll just go talk to the owner, and let him know that I'm not getting what I need. He'll either make things right or I'll settle for going to another dealer, albeit a dealer that is much less conveniently located.

Hopefully they'll work something out as they are the best shop in the area for taking care of their customers (grasshopper users anyway), but then again, if they're going to be dickheads about getting me the mower I want, my luck with their service dept. might not be any better.

Just have to feel things out and see how it goes I guess.

Thanks for the input

ScCo

P.S. They push grasshoppers so hard because they've got most of the commercial guys in the area convinced that GH is the only company in existence that makes a good mower, and they can sell them at pretty high prices.

2BladeRunners
01-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Contact Toro at the address below. Either write a simple letter explaining the issue or call if writing isn't your thing. Ask to speak to the regional sales manager for your area. Be up front with them you like the service from your local retailer but they were not able to answer your questions. You will get the details you want from Toro and I'm sure the dealer will be willing to listen to your questions in the future.

The Toro Company
Consumer Division
8111 Lyndale Avenue South
Bloomington, MN 55420

USA 1-800-348-2424
Canada 1-800-544-5364

Lawn Dog2001
01-19-2004, 06:31 PM
A lot of times when dealing with salesman, you have to throw politness out the window. Be very direct and to the point.

You are the guy about to spend thousands of dollars on a new mower. You deserve to be treated like it.

Go back there talk to the salesman, Tell him flat out "I have absolutely no interest in a Grasshopper. Please work with me on the Toro I want." If he still refuses, tell him you will be buying an Exmark from his competitor."

A good salesman is like a bear. If he smells fear on you your dead.;)

nelbuts
01-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Tell him your customers use to have a company with GH and they hated them. And that you like red.

Then tell him that you really want a Toro and not the GH and this is the difference of the sale.

Chances are GH has a big promo to the dealer and he needs the sales.

mbricker
01-20-2004, 06:27 AM
I know the dealer. He does sell a ton of Grasshoppers, I've bought 2 from him. I really don't know why he pushes them so hard, maybe he really believes GH is a lot better than the Toro you are wanting to look at. I do know there are a bunch of lco's in the area who don't care for the guy. Were you talking to the owner, or one of his help? It's the owner himself who does at least 75% of the selling there.

But here's the main reasons I went back to him for my second GH--he has a d**n fine mechanic who has been with him for about 20 years. He bent way over backwards for me and put a pto clutch on the first machine under warranty, when it was over 2 years old. He also has spent time giving me some good advice when I was working too hard and making too little.

Go in there and tell him you really want him to prove to you why he thinks the GH is better for your situation.

Good luck.