PDA

View Full Version : Echo Vs Stihl Vs Shin

SIRCAESAR
01-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Guys which one has better, Edjers, Trimmers and blowers/backpacks?

luke125
01-18-2004, 10:04 PM
echo is a piece of junk
i would take shin. over the stihl for 2cycle stuff
and for the 4cycle stuff stihl

to me pricing, dealer support, and features could be a major factor in chosing stuff

Avery
01-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Like the great Ford/Chevy debate you will never get an answer to that question. I personally like Stihl. Have tried Echo and hated it. Never tried Shin., but I hired a crew leader that used to work for my competition. He was used to running Shin and at first tried to get me to buy some. After about a month he was not asking for Shin. anymore. He loved the Stihl stuff. I don't try other brands because what I have works for me.

TheKingNJ
01-18-2004, 11:41 PM
I run STIHL and love em. I would never buy an echo but i got an echo weed whacker from a coustomer for freeand i abuse it and it won't die. It did impress me i run crap gas in it, thow it around and the only maintainance was i had to clean the spark plug once. It is defentally short on power though. I like all of Shin's new stuff. It would go with the Shin but STIHL is nice too, stay away from the echo.

odin
01-19-2004, 07:16 AM
all three are excellent products although stihl blowers are weak right now...but this fall a 4 mix blower will be out and sthil will have a backpack that can compete with echo and shindawa and redmax.

although you didnt mention them husqvarna makes excellent trimmers to good power.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Hey now dont pick on my stihl bp blower, he he just kidding, i have a great dealer for stihl, if i have a problem and he cant get it fixed in a resonable time he has loaners for his commercial guys, i couldnt find a shin or red max dealer here in va that was close to me, went to a small town before christmas and saw a hardware store that had Great Dane mowers, i stopped gave them a look, went inside and this guy has shin, red max , and kawasaki stuff there, was like turning a kid loose in a candy store he he, im looking forward to trying some of that equipment just to see how good it is , i here alot about the trimmers and blowers, ok i strayed from the subject, but i like my stihl equipment, and my dealer is great, i prefer stihl at this time

greensideup
01-19-2004, 08:37 AM
I also prefer shin, but have tried stihl and like them , too. I feel shindaiwa has the best blower with their EB630. Nothing I have tried seems to be as good, reliable, powerful, or as light. I don't care much for the echo trimmers or edgers. Some of their blowers & hedge trimmers are OK. I agree with some of the above posts- delaer support should be a factor in your decision. In short, you cant go wrong with shindaiwa or stihl. SCOTT

GTLC
01-19-2004, 11:24 AM
I am going to have to say

PaulJ
01-19-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm trying to decide between the Ech 260 (I have an echo 2400 now) and a shindawa 230. The shindawa is actually a few $ less but the dealer is out in a different town.

Any thoughts?

rotgg
01-19-2004, 02:12 PM
stihl

ElephantNest
01-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Get the shin, but get the 260. You'll regret the echo.

greensideup
01-19-2004, 03:32 PM
We run T230's exclusively. The T260 is awesome, but is just heavier. Either is much better than any echo trimmer. SCOTT

SIRCAESAR
01-19-2004, 03:38 PM
wow it seems like Stihl has the Majority vote..

C.T. Lawn Care
01-19-2004, 03:48 PM
i vote stihl.. i love my Fs 85X

TJLC
01-19-2004, 03:55 PM
I have only used Echo products. They have help up pretty well for me over the years. That's not to say i would never look at Shin or Sthil. I'm sure they are good also, I started out with Echo and havn't had any major problems, yet, (knock on wood). I think the best piece of equiptment is the one you have the best luck with. LOL, Good luck.

Expert Lawns
01-19-2004, 04:12 PM
i have a stihl stick edger. not 100% satisfied with it's performance. all other 2-cycle equipment is redmax. i will stick with it in the future.

LawnMower
01-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Boy I guess it depends on when you ask this question. Iv seen the opinion go from hating Stihl, to loving Echo. Redmax is the best......no wait, the Shin is the best.

I myself use all Stihl. Same back pack blower, same weed wacker iv had for years. Start and go, start and go. I love them and they work day after day after day after year after year.

I had trouble with the home owners Stihl weed wacker, but never the commercial one.

Tomt
01-19-2004, 08:43 PM
I have a Echo PB650, SRM-260, SHC-1700, PE-2400 all are 2002 & a Shin T270 it is a 2003.
They all do there jobs very well. The Shin is more well made and will probably last longer.
From what I am hearing the new Echo products are not what they were a few years ago and I am not sure I would buy or not.
I also have a Stihl MS 390 chain saw and like it.
Just my $.02.
:cool:

LawnProMowing
01-19-2004, 09:09 PM
I run Shindaiwa trimmers, T-230, T-260 and T-270, my favorite is the 270 but my help likes the 260 better, both have tons of power, you cant stop the 270, what a machine. On the other hand I am partial to the Stihl blowers BG-85 hand held and the BR-400 backpack. The Shindaiwa handhelds seem to have a lot of "misplaced" torque. What I mean is when you pull the throttle you feel it in your wrist trying to twist. Another thing I like about the Shindaiwa trimmers is availability of parts and super easy DIY maint.

awm
01-19-2004, 09:27 PM
boys be watching if makita dolmer,, start coming on .. from what ive seen in saws .. they are really uping the anti in the game of 2 cycles.. giveum a look..

Brian Taylor
01-20-2004, 12:05 AM
We have used many diferent brands over the years and have come use Echo almost exclusively. Our dealer is the best around and always has a loaner when needed. We have 2 Stihl Br 400s and 3 Echo 650s. While the Stihls have been dependable for years, they never get used anymore. There is no comparison, the Echo is much better hands down.

walshdevo10
01-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Ihave run echo's in the past and they run forever, but no balls. I love my stihl trimmers(commercial units only) If you need power Echo is not for you. Stil and Shin is the way to go

Fareway Lawncare
01-31-2004, 09:08 PM
walshdevo, I certainly hope your not talking about the BP's. The Echo750 outpowers Stihls best by a Huge margin.

cush
01-31-2004, 09:59 PM
I personally swear by Homelite and Ryobi ! LOL:laugh:

dishboy
01-31-2004, 10:34 PM
I love my shin t270. I have three years on it and 10 on the last one. My friend burned up two srm260s this season using echo mix. One was still on warranty and the other just off. Apparently they are having a problem. Also he can't hang them up in the garage because they leak fuel all over. [got a match?].
Also shin has a solid shaft, much better for edging with a long line, and a slide bore carb, much better throttle response. Also longer shaft, easier on the back. True the are heavier but I believe because they are built better.

ElephantNest
01-31-2004, 10:45 PM
Couldn't agree more. Compared to shins, stihl and echos are toys. I've burned through too many of both to ever think of buying either gain. Out of the 8 shins I own, one went to the shop for a new grip over the last four years.

Shuter
01-31-2004, 10:45 PM
I use all Stihl for my handhelds. I have never had any problems.

snowmizer
02-01-2004, 02:08 AM
gotta love the shins 1st, stihl's 2nd(excellant chainsaws though) never used echo cannot comment on them

metro-hp_48
02-01-2004, 02:47 AM
Use Shind. here (230 260 going to get a 270 for the heavy stuff)
But, out of curiosity, does anyone use the Geen Machine type head? I searched high and low for years, just found one the other day at j-thomas (6" should be here Mon.) I know back in the day, that's all we ever used. Will bring back good memories !
(have most heads, manual, fixed, bump)

Landscaper Supply
02-01-2004, 02:53 PM
You left one out TANAKA !!! They are offering some strong items at great prices. Less Weight more power and lower cost!!!

ElephantNest
02-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I see tanakas on Ebay all day long. 90% of them say factory reconditioned. Hmmmm.....

Grass Master
02-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Echo.....Echo.....Echo......

'nough said..

Excellent dealer and factory support.

Great products as well.

sbvfd592
02-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by n1alx
I am going to have to say

ditto

Landscaper Supply
02-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Ask the guy selling them a question. Are they Factory recons? or new units. Tanaka will not let dealers sell units online unless they are demoed or used. So dealers get around it buy saying they are recons which are brand new. I know this because I just bought 3 from a dealer in Michigan and they came in brand new box never used or set up. My guys fight to get the Tanakas before our Echo or Stihls which i will drop this year

joed
02-01-2004, 05:10 PM
I have use a Shindaiwa T230 trimmer, Stihl BR400 blower and FS85 trimmer and an Echo SRM2400 trimmer and PB650 blower. From my experiences, Shindaiwa is by far the best. It has outstanding power, lightweight and very dependable. Stihl would rank second but they can a bit hard to start at times. Echo comes in last. It is not that they make bad products but they aren't as powerful and seem to wear out quicker. They are easy to start, however.

Kawasaki also makes great stuff.

SIRCAESAR
02-01-2004, 06:19 PM
ok guys, from what I have read, from all of you, this is what I have come up with,

the Echo's do not have enough power
the Stihls are sometimes hard to start
Shindaiwa, I have not heard anything negative, all good comments.

would you guys all agree on the pro's and cons listed above..?

my next question is who has the best stick edjer?

ElephantNest
02-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Shindaiwa, lol. Mine run great, just get the LE260, not the 230, and it will have all the power you need. Mine still crank on the first pull, no repairs. In my pic, you can see the LE261, and the LE260, both on the end. Both have been awesome.

Sauls1686
02-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Echo.....Echo.....Echo......

Amen Grassmaster!!

You need to look at all of them
and see which one FEELS best
IMHO....once you do that you will
head to the Echo dealer.