PDA

View Full Version : Would you add this account?

GarPA
01-19-2004, 12:04 PM
One of our snow customers has been pleading with us to take over the mowing for 2004. We have a little room in our schedule for a couple more residentials. Most of our maintenance is commercial but I want to balance things out more since commercial can be here today and gone tomorrow. Heres the situation:

Widow has to be at least 90..son pays her bills, promptly, and lives out of town.He is my primary contact . Nice to deal with. Well maintained property. Prior lco is going 100% commercial. THey'd rather have one company do the winter/summer work. Personally, I dont care if someone is a snow-only customer. Fits the existing mowing route nicely..
Mowing only would be about 2k per year...plus any add ons.

Why would I hesitiate on this bird in the hand? I dont like turnover in customers. This lady can barely walk, and lets face it, may not be able to live by herself much longer, and frankly might croak any day. (now you see I CAN be hard nosed Bobby). I could fill the few openings in the schedule with a little advertising but here is a situation where they know me and vice versa. Assuming you are not begging for new business, would you take this new account?? At this point I'm leaning towards not taking it but always appreciate other perspectives here on LS...thanks

BB36
01-19-2004, 12:20 PM
I had a situation like yours.The lady was elderly/sick and lived alone, her son lived 2 hours away(with his family) and paid his mothers bill always on time.We mowed her residence for about 1 1/2 years until she passed away end of last summer.The son kept us on for the reminder of the season.
The son then inherited the home and decided to keep this home as his second home(because of proximity to beach's).
Well as it goes the son has decided to keep us on maintaining the property.

twins_lawn_care
01-19-2004, 12:26 PM
I would take it. Trying to understand your situation as best I can.
I would take it, and if something were to happen to her, the next owner may wish to know who has been taking care of the lawn, and you may retain that new customer. Happen to me this last year, that's why I say it.
also, this may help you save a snow customer too, and since you have good relations with this customer already, I'd say go for it.

rodfather
01-19-2004, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't think twice about it Gary...take it. What do you have to lose?

bobbygedd
01-19-2004, 12:33 PM
i say, think with your heart, not with your head. it would be the NICE THING TO DO. so what if it ends up causing you problems down the road, it's still the nice thing to do. they need you,and you should be there for them in thier time of need.:angel:

dvmcmrhp52
01-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Gar,
Do you like to make money?
It doesn't sound like a problem account,fits your route and schedule...........................as for turnover,that can happen any time with any customer.

FrankenScagMachines
01-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Maybe I didn't get it, but why wouldn't you want that account? At 26 mowings a year thats close to $75 job must be a nice little estate, acre or acre and a half right? can't figure out why you would not want to help out a little old lady during her last days. Or is it that she might croak and you would be left without that account for the rest of the summer?

dishboy
01-19-2004, 12:56 PM
I would say take it as long as you put it in a contract that you get paid until they notify you in writing, and you have a real address to collect from. I am dealing with a out of state doctor who has been paying the bill for her mother[his house] for three years now. Well mom is now gone, the sister told me to mow until they sell the house, which they did and now doctor wants to rip me off for three cuttings because someone negleted to tell me they sold the house. So now I have to go to small claims court if the doctor won't respond to reason, he lives out of state and all I have is a adress and a phone number he won't answer. Take the job but cover your rear.

ElephantNest
01-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i say, think with your heart, not with your head. it would be the NICE THING TO DO. so what if it ends up causing you problems down the road, it's still the nice thing to do. they need you,and you should be there for them in thier time of need.:angel:

Who are you and what have you done with bobby?

Gar, I say take it. Just opens up the lines of communication with more people, always good.

~Nest

gramps
01-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Slow Day?

Turfdude
01-19-2004, 01:05 PM

OMG Bobby does have a heart!

Yes, Gar take the account if it fits in the neighborhood you already serve.

PROCUT1
01-19-2004, 01:18 PM
ss will still be there and need to be maintained. there will be a new homeowner and youll be right there if they want to continue service

o-so-n-so
01-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Negative....

I dont like turnover in customers
I could fill the few openings in the schedule with a little advertising
Advertising costs...........

Positive....

pleading with us to take over the mowing for 2004
they know me and vice versa
bird in the hand?

Mowing only would be about 2k per year...plus any add ons
Vacation money..................take a cruise man.

Fits the existing mowing route nicely..
Well maintained property
Nice to deal with
son pays her bills, promptly,
I want to balance things out more

GarPA
01-19-2004, 01:29 PM
ok ok ok ok.....I'll take it.

hah...holy cow all of you agree....must be a full moon or something...in case you think I'm ******ed for even thinking twice about taking it, its because its one of those "headache" properties...beds all over, mower wont fit over there or over here...blah blah blah...can you tell I really dont like residential??

but taking a little more difficult residential is all part of being a professional I suppose...so I'll suck it up and do it.

thanks guys for the opinions...much appreciated

Turf Medic
01-19-2004, 01:30 PM

Somebody has obviously hacked into bobby's account. There is no way these words came from his fingers:D

DennisF
01-19-2004, 01:36 PM
I would take it for two reasons. 1. She's an existing account for snow removal and it would just be good business to perform another service for a current customer. 2. It might lead to refferals to other accounts. Granted... it's not a high dollar account, but it might help build the residential end of the business.

GarPA
01-19-2004, 01:42 PM
That is not the real Bobby talking there....he is being a smart arse because of the other thread where some of us were being too nice to the lady who's son up and dropped dead....remember that novel we had going?

rodfather
01-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Maybe if she likes ya enough Gary there will be a little something for you when she croaks...happended to me once!

battags
01-19-2004, 02:30 PM
No, I'm not taking Bobby's place.......but I would use some caution.

I had a similar situation except that it was an elderly man, Stanley, who ran a pine tree farm for years. Long story short, we became friends and I admired how he tended to his trees and land. Mowed his fields and yard religiously. Great conversations.

Alzheimers took over and his daughter put him in a home. (After hearing 10,000 times how he was on Okenawa when Truman dropped the bomb, I knew it was coming). I started mowing (unknown to her) because I knew how much it would bother Stanley to see his grass 12" long.

His daughter was sincerely thankful and started paying me $35 per cut of the 3 acre yard. I wasn't doing it for the money but it turned into a nightmare. Stanley died shortly later and at his funeral his daughter asked me to continue cutting and "keeping and eye" on the place.

His daughter lived 3 hrs away and called me DAILY with odd jobs to do around the place. Not worth my time and kept me from regular jobs. I couldn't say "no" because I just didn't have it in me. It's like she sensed my respect for her father and decided to take as much out of me as she could.

B

GarPA
01-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey B you will never have to worry about taking over Bobbys reign...not with your kind heart...man you are even nicer than I am....and I'm a pushover for sob stories...

bobbygedd
01-19-2004, 05:13 PM
ok, i'm done barfing. well gar, if you think taking her on is not a good business move, then don't do it. why the dilemna? in business "the right thing to do", is make money. no consideration should be given because of age/race/gender. i was raised by my grandma, she raised my sister and myself on social security, and a couple extra bucks from the the state. believe me, it wasn't enough. but somehow she made it work. she could not get anyone to cut her grass or do repairs around the house, because she didn't have much money and always bargained. well, no body, and i mean nobody did anything for her. the mason, electrician, roofer,plumber, and the lawnboy all wanted to get paid. the minute they detected any bargaining or any problem whatsoever they were gone. she saved her pennies for years and years to put a new roof on the house. i'll never forget it, a small roofing operation was here every day for 2 weeks, just the owner and his brother. she made them lunch every single day. the day before they finished, the owner slipped, fell down the ladder, broke his ankle, and SUED HER! another thing i remember, we went to a flea market, to buy me a pair of shoes. she had $14 in her pocketbook. the boots fit great, they were what i wanted. the price, was $14.75. granny asked the man if he would take $14. the answer was NO!. she scraped another 25 cents from her pocketbook, and explained she was raising us on almost nothing, and that was all she had. guess what? i didn't get the shoes. the guy couldn't care less. where am i going with this? oh yea, my advice: if it aint good for you, screw it, don't do it. personally, i think back, and i wish i knew then what "disposable" or short term customers were, because i would have concentrated my efforts elsewhere. later

olderthandirt
01-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Make sure you get your money up front at that age she croaks and it will be a hassle getting paid. LOL

Mac

bob
01-19-2004, 05:20 PM
I'd take it. Even though I don't like dealing with elderly customers. You'll be dealing with her son, plus you said that she can barely walk. This means she won't be running out in the yard giving out orders.

GarPA
01-19-2004, 05:24 PM
We agree Bobby on how I honestly view her...as a temporary customer....but as mentioned above, they're all temporary to a degree. I think we all need to get to work soon.....this playing on LS has got to stop.... btw Bobby....I still say you should write novels or something...or perhaps be a touring story teller...you for sure have the gift of communication