PDA

View Full Version : You guys are gonna love this

Victor
01-19-2004, 12:07 PM
I can't believe I haven't shared this with you guys yet.

Last I took my box truck out to this guys store that sells a lot of LCO-type equipment. I went out there to buy some blower racks for my truck. When I finished paying for the racks. He followed me out to my truck. He stood by me, as I opened the back door, and then watched me climb up into the back. After I had put the boxes down. I saw him looking around with a smile on his face. He said that he really liked my setup, and had never seen a cutting rig like it before. He mentioned the eyewash station, fire extinguisher, work bench, portolet, and he he even mentioned that he liked the conveyor belt material that I have on the floor, for traction purposes. He asked if it kept the mowers from sliding around, and I told him it did a great job of that.

Then it happened!!

His eyes came to rest on my Lazer.......he paused for a moment......and then had the nerve to ask....."why in the world did you buy that thing though?" I said, "what...my Lazer?" He replied, "yea." I said, "well I love the craftsmanship, the quality of cut, and the dealer I bought it from." Then I asked him, what the mower was that he thought I should have gotten. He went on to tell me that I should have bought one of his Encore Prowlers. He told me that the guys that started Encore used to work for Exmark, and that they took all of the technologyy that that learned from making Exmark mowers, and built on that when they started making Encore mowers. He went on to tell me that the Encores are better built machines than the Exmarks are, and that if I would have tried a Prowler out, before I had bought the Lazer. I would have seen that it gives a better cut than the Lazer gives. Buy this time I'm $......... my pants with laughter. I just couldn't believe how full of it this guy was. He pointed at my front casters, and said. "Look at those. What do you see different between your front casters, and the front casters on my Prowler?" I said, that the only difference I saw was the fact that the casters on the Prowler had a grooved tread on them. He said "exactly". I thought (the front casters don't help hold the mower on hills, all of that kind of work is done by the back tires). The only sensible benefit that he mentioned was the lower price of the Encore equipment. I wound up thanking him for his time, and drove off laughing. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but he tried to make it sound like Exmark made entry level equipment. Even compared to other brands like Bobcat, or Bunton.

I thought this was too funny. I guess whaterver it takes for him to try to sell his mowers he's gonna do. Oh well.

I just thought you guys would get a kick out of this story.

Vic

lilred731
01-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Souds like a sales pitch to me.

dvmcmrhp52
01-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Ya,a poor sales pitch to anyone who knows anything about the subject.

FrankenScagMachines
01-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Bwahahhahahahaha!!!! ROFLMAO stop it stop it! I'm crying i'm laughing so hard!

What an idiot. What's their phone number I'd like to call him and harass him alittle, mess with his mind :D

goodbeus
01-19-2004, 01:06 PM
I have a good friend that's also an Encore dealer...he tries his hardest to get me to switch to Encore over my Exmark...NO WAY...Encore is cheaper, but you get what you pay for...in a city of 1 million or more, it's extremely rare to seen any company using Encore...my friend is also a certified Kawasaki/Briggs & Stratton mechanic, so when I have problems with that, I'll let him repair them...I do have an Encore 36" on the trailer that gets about 1 hour of use per week, and it does like to eat blade spindle bearings:eek:

ElephantNest
01-19-2004, 01:07 PM
I looked at a 61" Encore prowler, with a 27HP Liquid-Cooled Daihatsu Diesel Engine, sticker new was almost $15,000. What makes him think that's cheaper than eXmark? Looked like a solid machine though, thick deck, much more agileness to the floating deck it seemed, anyone know anything BAD about these mowers, or why the price is so high? I don't know a lot about them, do they hold up, cut nice, etc.?

Thanks,
~Nest

NCSULandscaper
01-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Just a salesman trying to sale his product.

PLI1
01-19-2004, 03:24 PM
There is a dealer around here where the guys behind the counter I know have never mowed much grass in their lives, yet feel they know all the answers why their equipment is better than anyone elses. They sell hardly anything that most of us here on Lawnsite love. The only thing I buy from them are shovels and mower blades. Talk is cheap!

greensideup
01-19-2004, 03:29 PM
A couple years ago I bought a 34" Encore rider for back yards & got rid of 37" toro walk behind. This was the worst decision I ever made. That encore was the biggest piece of ssss I have ever used. I had always run lazer hp's, so this concept of a small rider seemed good. This thing was in the shop more than it was on the job- and we only used it on small yards & back gated areas. I sold it at a huge loss before the warranty ran out. Went back to the toro hydro WB. I would not even consider another Encore. SCOTT

Expert Lawns
01-19-2004, 04:07 PM
victor - a little off topic, but do you have any pictures of your setup? it sounds pretty sweet. also, does encore have a website? i'd like to see this badass machine he speaks of.

pcnservices
01-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Victor
He told me that the guys that started Encore used to work for Exmark, and that they took all of the technologyy that that learned from making Exmark mowers, and built on that when they started making Encore mowers..........

He pointed at my front casters, and said. "Look at those. What do you see different between your front casters, and the front casters on my Prowler?" I said, that the only difference I saw was the fact that the casters on the Prowler had a grooved tread on them. He said "exactly".
Vic, This guy heard a story somewhere and now he's making up his own and if he is an Encore dealer then I should have his rear end kicked with a steel toe boot as he's got the "cat by the b@ll$!

This is the actual story and I know mr Techtmeier and his son Doug (owners of Encore), the R&D guys and the engineers personally. You can visit Encore's website and read the company history. I'm not posting it here 'cause I don't want my a$$ kicked ;)

Techtmeier worked at F.D. Kees manufacturing company for 17 years and in 1976 he drew up the first entry model into the commercial mower market. In 1982 he was the co-founder of Exmark manufacturing. There he developed a line of commercial mowers growing Exmark into a recognized manufacturer of commercial mowers. In 1988 Techtmeier saw another need in the commercial mower market and started Encore manufacturing. Encore is 16 years old this year.

So this dude's blanket statement that the "Encore guys" worked for Exmark and took their technology is some of the biggest BS I've heard in along time. Techtmeier was co-founder of and co-owned Exmark. He later sold his shares and started Encore manufacturing.

Later F.D. Kees merged with Yazoo manufacturing (Yazoo/Kees) which later merged with Husqvarna. Exmark was sold to Toro in 1997. Encore is now the only privately owned lawnmower manufacturing company in Beatrice, NE.

So, Mr Techtmeier is NO newbie to the commercial lawn mower manufacturing industry. Although he is not involved with Yazoo/Kees and Exmark anymore, his "signature" is still on those mowers. His expierence and knowledge of the lawn care industry and commercial mower manufacturing is beyond what we can even dream of. Although privately owned, Encore is, like Exmark a leader in the commercial lawn mower manufacturing field.

The ONLY major difference between Encore mowers and most of the other brands available today is the deck suspension. All the other brands uses the conventional chain suspended floating deck. Encore has a tractor type pivoting front axle with an articulating floating deck. This in my opinion is a true "floating deck".

People can tell you all kinds of stories about problems on spindles and hydraulics etc. The components used in the Encore mower is no different than the components used in most of the other brands. Engines, seats, hydraulic pumps, wheel motors, spindles, PTO clutches, etc., etc., etc.. Therefore dont think if a spindle goes bad on an Encore it is a bad mower. A spindle can go bad on an Exmark, Toro, Husqvarna, Dixie, Grasshopper, etc. too.

Quality of cut? With a shaft driven deck at 19000 rpm blade tip speed 5.5 inch deep deck, articulating deck and sharp blades, and you cannot get a quality cut, you should get somebody else to operate your machine because you can't mow.

Price? I cannot comment on this. Why do I buy Encore?
Price + Quality of product + After sales service = Value for money.

Vic, I hope this gave you some more info and background history of Encore. I hate to see or hear mis-informed people (like your dealer) making comments and they don't actually know what they are talking about. So now you can go and kick that dealer friend of your's a$$ with a steel toe boot. ;)

Good Luck
PC

65hoss
01-19-2004, 05:01 PM
I agree with PNCServices on the history. He is correct about the way it all started.

I do disagree with the quality thing. I own an encore right now. I will never own another one. Yes it will eat bearings. I have had many sets in it. I've never replaced one in all my eXmarks. The encore mower I have will not cut anywhere near as well as the eXmarks. Its a pretty well built machine, I use it for bushhog type knockdown work. It handles that well.

pcnservices
01-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Looked like a solid machine though, thick deck, much more agileness to the floating deck it seemed, anyone know anything BAD about these mowers, or why the price is so high? I don't know a lot about them, do they hold up, cut nice, etc.?
Nest,
I apologize for the filthy machine - picture was taken just after it got back after a fall cleanup. I have put ± 400 hrs on this mower just this season. NO problems or mechanical failures. I need to replace a throttle cable. Mine broke and had to make infield repairs. I also replaced the inner liner of the blower vac.
This is a 23 hp Kawasaki 52"
PC
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-W92P4BHLZG.000\My Documents\My Pictures\mower6.jpg

Victor
01-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Pics of my cuttin' rig (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=53258&highlight=My+cuttin+rig)

I think he was trying a little too hard. I just had to laugh. I wasn't sure whether to laugh more at his downgrading remarks about the Exmark, or his remarks comparing Encore in general, as being so much better than Exmark. Oh well. I enjoyed the laugh.

Expert Lawns. I attached a link that shows pics of my truck, and thanks for the compliment. In the pics, you'll see some pics of my "substandard" Lazer HP. :)

Victor

Victor
01-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Since these pics were taken, I've added a storage cabinet, that I store oil, spare parts, fuel cans, trimmer spools, tools, etc in. I'm currently working on a fuel tank, that I'll mount inside the box, that I'll be able to fuel mowers with. I'm also working on a mixed fuel tank. I'd better hurry up, before it's time to start cutting again!

Vic

Expert Lawns
01-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks Victor. I can't wait to see the infamous horrible exmark

Expert Lawns
01-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Just saw the pictures Victor. I agree with the salesman. What do you expect to cut with that friggin exmark?

Actually I have the same one. I love it. I agree with everyone else. It was a salespitch. Just like the time a TGCL guy told one of my customers that her lawn should be cut with a simplicity and not an exmark. Turns out his brother sells simplicity mowers. Gotta give em credit for trying. an A for effort.