PDA

View Full Version : What Blades to use?

TheKingNJ
01-19-2004, 03:01 PM
I have 2 52" Scag Walk Behinds one with a 17 HP Kawi and one with a 20 HP Kohler. I do not bag or mulch so i need a really good blade to get at clean cut. I get a lot of tall grass and I don't want to leave any clippings.

What are the best blades to use and where is the best place to buy them from?

dishboy
01-19-2004, 03:37 PM
I like a stock blade below a gator, They are crossed, stands the grass up real good without excessive blowby. I think that means six blades for your setup.

Jimbo
01-19-2004, 04:04 PM
I would go with a medium lift if its damp/wet and a high lift when its dry. In the fall when the grass slows down and leaves start up I would run a gator mulching blade.

You may be tempted to run gators all the time but they will clump when it gets wet.

Jimbo

TheKingNJ
01-19-2004, 04:06 PM
I side discharge.

Jimbo
01-19-2004, 04:08 PM
I caught that and edited accordingly.

Meg-Mo
01-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Try the MEG MO blades. They will cut the grass very fine and blow it out with no lump or clumps

DLCS
01-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Meg-Mo
Try the MEG MO blades. They will cut the grass very fine and blow it out with no lump or clumps

Yep, what Meg Mo said. Here is a pic of the Meg Mo blades on a John Deere 757.

rob1325
01-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Are those Meg Mo blades difficult to sharped. Also how do you sharpen them. Never used them and would like to learn more about them from people who used them in the field.

Thanks
Rob

DLCS
01-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by rob1325
Are those Meg Mo blades difficult to sharped. Also how do you sharpen them. Never used them and would like to learn more about them from people who used them in the field.

Thanks
Rob

No, not difficult at all to sharpen. I just use a air powered disc sander.

yardman1
01-21-2004, 07:19 PM
I run stock blades with gators on top, I have a scag 36" and it does a good job for me.

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Go Gator - or Double Gator

Avery
01-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Gators or Atomics......

BB36
01-21-2004, 07:54 PM
I run all atomic which is Toro's brand for the gator.They work extremely well and I side discharge.

7fires
04-30-2004, 08:13 PM
dealer told me that you can't get gator blades for a 757 60', is this true? and if i choose to run double blades do i need alonger spindle shaft? I got a new 757 this year and in the longer thicker stuff it lays out clippings 3 in long, resembles ahay field when i'm done. He also told me the only thing they offer is a mulch kit for 190$.

Envy Lawn Service
04-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 7fires
dealer told me that you can't get gator blades for a 757 60', is this true? and if i choose to run double blades do i need alonger spindle shaft?
No, you shouldn't need anything extra to bolt on doubles. 'If' I run doubles on the Kees I just line up the holes, put then in a perfect + pattern, clamp them together with a pair of vise grips, install, remove vise grips.

Envy Lawn Service
04-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by 7fires
I got a new 757 this year and in the longer thicker stuff it lays out clippings 3 in long, resembles ahay field when i'm done. He also told me the only thing they offer is a mulch kit for 190$.

Well god bless ya! A John Deere 7-Iron owner that is willing to admitt the truth. I had the exact same thing when I tried a John Deere M665 ztr. It was like no clipping was cut twice. Whatever the length you were cutting off was the lenght of the clipping.

I wanted to try it with a mulch kit. But no dice there, so no chance of a sale for the dealer. You should try one for the $190. I bet they mulch good.

The Kees discharges long clippings too if you run the deck open with no front baffles. But I don't run it that way unless I'm cutting a 'hay field' type job.

Acute Cut
04-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Here is my question. Does meg-mo make true mulching blades for those of us that worry more about damage done by projectiles? I ran discharging for about 6 months. 3 house windows and a new truck windo later i bought my mulch kit and have saved money ever since. Meg-mo, got mulchers? (Exmark lazer and wb is the machines it will be on.)

Envy Lawn Service
04-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Acute,

In a word, NO. I was told by them that the Meg-Mo system was designed for side discharge mulching and that their system would create too much air flow to work with my baffled mulch kit.

On a side note, which blades do you prefer for mulching on the Exmark?

Acute Cut
04-30-2004, 10:42 PM
I run the standard exmark mulch blades. I have had varied results. They hold thier sharpness well, but only mulch moderate to good. Depends partly on the day, but mostly on the machine believe it or not. Even same decks it does not mulch the same.
Why dont they put gator tips on that meg mo system? I am semi content with my blades, but would defineately be open to better ones. The biggest problem is i truely mulch and dont discharge.

Envy Lawn Service
04-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Acute,

The Gator tips do not create enough lift, just a lot of air turbulance which would produce bad blowout on a 4 blade system. Also, those teeth don't mulch anything. They just re-direct clipping flow. But they will rip up leaves well.

To me that's about all Gators are good for, ripping up leaves, and on some decks they help keep the deck clean when ran on top in a doubles setup.

Gators haven't done well on any mulching setup I have ever tried. My old Murray loves them side discharge though. No clumps, mulch fine clippings and double dischage distance.
:)

Acute Cut
04-30-2004, 11:19 PM
Do you mulch or side discharge? If mulch, then what is your set up? I mow alot of tall grass and alot of wet grass. It has gotten to the point i mow 2 times on each lawn. Hey! I guess i can now say i mow 36 lawns a day!:D I wonder what would happen if i ran double mulchers????:confused:

Envy Lawn Service
05-01-2004, 01:57 AM
I just can't believe how many times a week I read these two words together in the same sentence....
double cut....... CRINGE

A lot of guys talk about how productive they are and how fast they can mow and how much money they make.... then they say double cut. I know they may be traveling mach 3 or whatever scattering clippings, but how is that productive? They if you side discharge there is all that mess to deal with. How can you make any money? Why accept that? Even my Murray leaves an acceptable single pass cut.

Anyways, to answer your question, I mulch 99% of the time. That 1% is rough cutting. All lawns get mulched all year. As for my setup, here is a hint for ya....

Envy Lawn Service
05-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Nope, thats not just a discharge cover...

Envy Lawn Service
05-01-2004, 02:06 AM
Fully baffled mulch kit, run with kickers for individual blade chambers,, or without. This is with...

Envy Lawn Service
05-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Wanna mulch tall, thick, wet grass in just one pass?

Acute Cut
05-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Muhahahaha! Yes i do and i have got something to show you that i think you are going to love. For LEGAL reasons i will say this. These pics i put on later are improvements i did myself and i know i am liable for my own equipment. Dont do this at home. Yada yada yada. Ok, ill work on pics this morning and get them on here for ya. Nice set up.

Acute Cut
05-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Ok, sorry this took so long. PIC TIME! This is my first pics on lawnsite so be gentle. This is my "modified" mulch kit. I can go from mulching to bagging in a about one minute or so.
Once i do a search i guess and try and figure out how to post. lol

Acute Cut
05-09-2004, 10:23 AM
ok will try this again.

Acute Cut
05-09-2004, 10:26 AM
ok, coolness in effect here. First pic is how i have it set up on mower. I use the rounded heads so it doesnt catch. This pic is with those two bolts on top disconected. There was some cutting involved and some welding to make this happen though.

Acute Cut
05-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Last pic to post here. This WAS the standard Exmark mulching kit. Baffles and all. I just cut the baffles AFTER where i bolt through the top of the deck. THen i had to weld in suports on the piece you see out there. I had to steady it. ALso, I leave the back of the mulch kit bolted to this as well. I guess you could weld it, i just didnt think of that is all.

dishboy
09-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Nope, thats not just a discharge cover...

Envy, I see you added a Lip to the right edge and are using high lift blades. Does that lip solve the exit chute side grass trail problem when mulching thick grass? Also you mentioned using deflectors or not using deflectors, could you elaborate on when and where you use deflectors, what type and what placement. I am very encouraged to read about your success with mulching as I believe it is crucial in a organic lawn care program because your feeding the soil as well as not sucking up your product.

Thanks , Tom

Fescue Farmer
09-05-2004, 03:34 PM
I second the dishboy's request! Interested in how your setup works in more detail.

Thanks

Fareway Lawncare
09-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Wanna mulch tall, thick, wet grass in just one pass?

Is that suposed to be your "tall wet grass" ?....

Mulching....Best Blades eXmark eXcalibur Mulch Blades...Low Lift & two tier cutting edge = Less Blow-Out...Less Under Deck Build-Up...finer Chopping...

Solid Foil like Envys...too much lift & Lots of Under Deck Build Up if Wet or Long...Good for Low Growth Only....

You Can't Beat Wavy !

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20534&stc=1

Envy Lawn Service
09-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Is that suposed to be your "tall wet grass" ?....

Mulching....Best Blades eXmark eXcalibur Mulch Blades...Low Lift & two tier cutting edge = Less Blow-Out...Less Under Deck Build-Up...finer Chopping...

Solid Foil like Envys...too much lift & Lots of Under Deck Build Up if Wet or Long...Good for Low Growth Only....

You Can't Beat Wavy !

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20534&stc=1
Yeah, that's after cutting!

I have your exact mulch blades and I like certain things about them...
But notice they are not on my machine...
The cut quality wasn't one of the certain things I liked...

You Can't Beat Knowledge and Experience !

:help: (you seem to have neither) :help:

Fareway Lawncare
09-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Your Lawns Likely arn't Irrigated & on Fert Programs....If they Were You wouldn't be using Solid Foil Blades w/the Kits...Lift Blades Give a Better Cut in Thin or Poor Turf...Cutting @ Higher Settings...Wavys Leave a Pushed Down Look on Poor thinner Turf...

If you Want even Better Results on Your Trailer Park Lawns Try the Notched...

Rookie....

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20315&stc=1