PDA

View Full Version : Costal Oil???

MR. Nomo
01-19-2004, 03:03 PM
This past week end I went the nearest gas station of one of my clients to mix some 2 cycle gas. Once I got there I search and searched my truck for the last bottle of stihl oil. I had just made sure I had some the night before. No luck!! I went in the store to see if they carried any and sure enough all they had was Costal 2 stroke engine oil.... I mixed it a little rich just in case.

Have you ever had any bad experince with Costal products?

Has any body been in this situation with simimular products?

I usually use premuim Robin or stihl oil...

By the way I just ordered some AMSOIL 100:1 premix.

Thanks for the feed back ...

LawnMower
01-19-2004, 08:06 PM
I use Costal oil in all my mowers. I change it every two weeks so it doesn't matter what I use.

As far as the 2 cycle stuff goes, Iv never had the bad luck of running out of my Stihl oil.

Metro Lawn
01-19-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't think I would trust any oil by Coastal or National. Any oil that looks dirty and stinks, right out of the bottle can't be good. I run Mobil 1 in everything. Amsoil 2 cycle in the mix. Never had an oil related problem. Engines run about 20% cooler than with standard oil too.

MR. Nomo
01-20-2004, 06:37 AM
Metro,
That's the first thing I did, I unscrewed the cap and smelled the stuff. It did have a lot different odor compared to the Stihl or Robin oil.

Do you use the 100:1 premix or a different amsoil product?

My backpack blower and hedge clippers use 25:1 mix. Of course there is a blue cloud around if I stand in one place to long.
I'm hoping that withe the amsoil stuff that will disapear. I plan on mixing it at 80:1 or 75:1 which ever will be the easiest.

If you will give me a little input on using the amsoil..

greendave
01-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Use synthetic in everything you can. Equipment will run cooler, last longer. For two strokes I've always mixed Amsoil at 100 to 1, appropriate weight oil in 4 strokes and never had an oil related failure in anything I've owned.

mosynthetics
01-20-2004, 04:22 PM
The AMSOIL comes in 8oz, 1 qt and 1.5 oz containers. If you buy AMSOIL what size do you usually buy and how do you mix it (what size containers).

Mosynthetics

Metro Lawn
01-20-2004, 07:55 PM
I use the 100:1 Amsoil... I mix it at about 75:1 and I have never had any problems. No smoke either... Good Stuff

locutus
01-20-2004, 08:00 PM
I got lucky and found the Amsoil 100:1 premix at a local Ace hardware. They stock it in the quart bottles. I stop by there every so often and buy a quart even though I dont need it at the moment. I like to stock up.

MR. Nomo
01-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Metro, thanks for your response. That what I am planning to mix it at also. I dont know why? They say 100:1 but I just want to be alittle conservative with a product I've never used.

Barry, I order the 12 8oz bottles which should be here by Friday. Most of my 2 cylcle's are standard 50:1 and a couple are 25:1. Yea, those make a lot of blue smoke. I'm looking forward to just having one mix for all equipment
Mixing the amsoil 75:1 should be more than addiquite, right?
Also, do you have your own website?
Is there any way I might find a local dealer around my area? It look like they only have distributor's on the corperate web site.

65hoss
01-21-2004, 09:01 AM
I use the Opti-2 oil. Get it in 1 gal size. Makes 100 gallons of mixture. It was $41 per gal or 41cents per gallon mixed.