PDA

View Full Version : Winter Maintenance

Jimbo
01-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Just wondering how many of you are spending your free time in the shop cleaning and repairing your mowers, and other equipment?

We had some warm days 2 weeks ago and I was able to start my mowers and get them washed (extra clean). I touched up nicks with a small paint brush and my mowers are looking sweet!
I just ordered a few hundred dollars worth of filters, spark plugs, blades, etc. Now I am going to start replacing plugs, hydro oil, and catch up on sharpening some blades.

Just wondering how your doing?

Jimbo

rob1325
01-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Did that back in early Dec., Just snow plow and tree work now.

sildoc
01-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Still mowing every other week. It has been slow though with all of the rain we have had and cold spells. At least the last of the leaves are geting caught.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Been doing that for two months now and hopefully I will get everything finished in another week or so. It amazing how much stuff I have when I start pulling it all out and checking every thing :eek:

iowapride
01-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Been going thru equipment since Christmas. It takes time going thru all the mowers and decks and attachments but its well worth the time now. I would say we have a good month left of going thru trucks, trailers, boom truck, dump truck and rest of mowers.

I learned my lesson after last year. Had a 9016 Jacobsen mower down until July because of something stupid one of my employee did and I didn't check the mower out until April.

General Grounds
01-19-2004, 11:09 PM
:blob3: i wash the mowers the day after the last cut in nov. and tear apart and repair and do pre-maintenance trhu the winter. that includes mowers, whips, hedgr trimmer you name it we work on it. tony

bayfish
01-20-2004, 01:03 AM
I work in the shop when it's warm enough. Got the mowers winterized, been re-conditioning one of our 16' landscape trailers; new bearings, painting frame and floor. Got some lengths of wood to cut and split from trees I had taken out last spring. Lots to do, but it's been cold.

David Haggerty
01-20-2004, 01:50 AM
I got everything done (that I'm going to get done) by Jan 1st.
Except for one hydraulic ram for the big Toro 580-D that the hydraulic shop didn't have rebuilt.
Told them I'd see them in the spring. It's jus a couple of pins to reinstall it.
I hate Jan & Feb in Ohio. I've set my clothes on fire with the Reddi heater trying to keep warm in the shop. Plus it costs $15/day for kerosene.
I'm old enough too (57) that a day laying on cold concrete=two days recovery on the couch.

I was going to go south for a couple of months but the Cummins in the mowing truck blew a head gasket. But as soon as it came back from the shop, around Jan 5th, I hooked it to the camper and headed south. I'm in Brownsville Texas. Today it was just in the 60's. But it's been warmer. Rode my motorcycle a couple of days when it hit 80.
Walked into Mexico one day. Got my haircut for $3. (No it ani't cheap just 'cause I'm bald.) I'm going to ride my Honda there if my son can locate me some roadmaps of Mexico for my GPS, and I can get insurance.
We'll Prolly go home in March.
Brought my computer. It's got a TV card and a DVD player. I go online with my cell phone. (Free nights & weekends.)
Here's a little pic. Made it small 'cause with a modem it'll be slow to upload. And I ain't much to look at anyway.

rkbrown
01-20-2004, 09:50 AM
David:

Glad you are enjoying our Texas weather. It's cold this morning in the Houston area, but I still gotta get out there and cut some grass today. I, for one, am glad to see a pic of you. You post good info on here !!

Jimbo
01-20-2004, 03:17 PM
I was working into December this year and it got cold so quick I never had a chance to do a "Good" cleanup on the mowers. Thats why I am so far behind on maintenance. Plus I took a break from the shop so I could get caught up on end of year tax, and book keeping items. You know..new files, etc.

David- Whats kind of cord do you use to go from the cell phone to the modem (phone jack)? I have free nights/weekends but I never knew they had a cable for that.

Jimbo

mtdman
01-20-2004, 03:20 PM
I've got a few projects to do, but it's been about 20 degrees or below for the past 2 weeks and I'm not going to my space to work on stuff when it's that cold. Nothing major, nothing that can't wait until march.

:D

Expert Lawns
01-21-2004, 12:30 AM
general grounds - you're the only other person i know that refer to them as whips.

David Haggerty
01-21-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo
David- Whats kind of cord do you use to go from the cell phone to the modem (phone jack)? I have free nights/weekends but I never knew they had a cable for that.

Jimbo

Picked it up at the Nextel store. I think $26. It's got a phone plug on one end and a serial port connection on the other. It even has a receptacle in the middle of the cord to plug in the battery charger so I can stay on line longer.
I dunno if other cell phones can go on line. Nextel charges me an extra $10/mo so the cell phone can function as a modem. I'm going to drop it when I go home. I don't own a laptop. I've got the tower screwed to the floor of the camper.

It's good service though. Pretty fast. Always goes on line at 19.2 KBPS But I won't be downloading any movies at that speed.

I've gone online at every campground between south Texas and Ohio. Never a glitch. I have Earthlink as my dial up server.

rkbrown;
Thanks for the kind words. They call us "Winter Texans" down here. Lots of campgrounds.

Houston is one huge city to negotiate. You must plan your days very carefully.

Dave

thfireman
01-21-2004, 12:17 PM
I am assuming that "Whips" are trimmers?:confused:

thfireman
01-21-2004, 12:21 PM
I havent trulely had my equipment in storage yet. The weather has allowed me to keep working on a variety of jobs where I can use most of my equipment. However I have treated my extra and standby equipment with Stabil gas treatment and changed oils and lubricated where needed. I have put al;l my chems where they wont freeze and washed everything down and oiled what might rust otherwise. All the other is recieving the same maintanence that it gets the rest of the year.:)

Expert Lawns
01-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by thfireman
I am assuming that "Whips" are trimmers?:confused:

yea, some people call it weedeating, some call it trimming. i, and a few people around here call it whipping or whapping.

thfireman
01-21-2004, 12:49 PM
See! I learned something today. :blob3: :D