PDA

View Full Version : clipping control

captaingreen
01-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Alot of my commercial properties have large mulch beds and/or large parkings lots. I have been looking at a few of the aftermarket products available that I can mount on my mower to cut down on the amount of clippings thrown into mulch and onto parking lots. The products I have looked at open and close, in the closed position they are the same as a mulch plate, which controls the clippings, but could cause clumping or wind-rowing of the grass. Has anyone used one of these or have any suggestions.

STAN1366
01-19-2004, 10:44 PM
On my lazer, I've got an OCDC made by Trimmer Trap. Fairly simple to bolt on w/ minimal drilling. On my 48" Bobcat w/b I made an OCDC from a scrap piece of steel. I used the originan deflector as a guide and it pivots up out of the way when I want to side discharge or put a bagger on. On the w/b I've got no handle to open or close it. It's strictly manual. When I want it closed I just take one of those spring loaded clamps to hold it closed or the grass hitting it tends to open it. As far as the cut grass 'windrowing', well that's something you have to live with. I just make an extra pass over the row and try to mulch it more.

Meg-Mo
01-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Make closer out of expanded metal this works allot better than just metal.

STAN1366
01-21-2004, 07:08 PM
I'd think the holes in the expanded metal would allow clippings to escape and blow into where you don't want them. Does the metal catch the clippings and the holes allow just the air to escape? I've got some expaned metal and if this is the way to go I'll give it a try.

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Expanded metal is better as far as letting the air flow continue and allow the deck to mow well, but the grass still collects and leaves a windrow - Nothing you can do about that other than put a bagger on and collect the clippings in those situations.

I am assuming you have the same situations I have as to narrow islands where the trim side of you mower (left side) is along one curb and the discharge is shooting over the other curb just to the right