PDA

View Full Version : Arguing over accounts


AMAC
01-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Do you guys think that 2 companies that want the same account should argue with each other over business? I'll admit that I don't like to be under bid (no one does), it has happened to me many times, but I understand that we all do what we have to do, to put food on the table. With the saturation of lawn companies in my area, many of the lco's are starting to take it personal and when I say personal, I mean they want to fight! I had a run in with a company owner of a very large operation this past year and he would say or do any thing to P%^& me off. This kind of stuff makes me sick, and makes it real hard to not make it personal, I felt like shoving his weedeater up his A%^. I believe that any company (large or small) should be treated with respect by their peers, even if we don't like them. Competition seperates the men from the boys and is what makes or breaks a business, only the smart and strong will survive the test of competition, I hope that as we all grow in size that we don't forget where we started. As business owners we should find alternate ways of dealing with competition. business is like a chess game and I just wanted to put things in check! What do you think?

BCM
01-20-2004, 01:05 AM
-AMAC- I totally agree with you AMAC, I konw were you are coming from. and like you said "only the strong will survive.
by the way...what part of Mo are you from?

BCM

SHOW ME STATE RIDER
01-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Ditto that.

Avery
01-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Totally unprofessional IMO. Had one here going around shooting their mouth off about other companys including mine. A couple of us have all but put him out of business. I have never considered myself a lowballer, fact is I am usually the high bidder. But you start talking smack about me and you better come prepared for a battle. I will cut your bid in half on all your jobs. I can afford to take a loss on a few accounts. Most LCO's can't. He was one of those.

AMAC
01-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Any other views on this?

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 09:18 PM
just make sure you medical covers removal of weedeaters from rear end:)

bastalker
01-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Avery
Totally unprofessional IMO. Had one here going around shooting their mouth off about other companys including mine. A couple of us have all but put him out of business. I have never considered myself a lowballer, fact is I am usually the high bidder. But you start talking smack about me and you better come prepared for a battle. I will cut your bid in half on all your jobs. I can afford to take a loss on a few accounts. Most LCO's can't. He was one of those.

I would never....ever.....do this. If I have to take money out of my pocket to fight with some other lco over an account. the other lco is more than welcome to it.

I have a certain $ figure, and if I cant reach it with any account, then someone else can have it. If the lco is shootin thier mouths off so what. I am not about to low ball em and lose money.

I'll show em up, an in the long run I'll get the account, cause if yer good it dont matter what anyone says or does.....

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 09:36 PM
I have to agree with bastalker on this one. And BTW what comes around goes around in this business. If the job is good enough dont worry about people talking smack on you.

broken leg
01-20-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't bid jobs on cost and will tell a customer so. If I bid a job I ask a customer if price is the main factor if so I do not bid. I tell them I am not the cheapest show in town nor the most expensive. The customers I have now want ME to cut there grass. I also find it is bad business to talk about another LCO if you can not say something good then say nothing. But most of the guys around here are good people and alot of us eat breakfast together when it rains.

Avery
01-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by bastalker
I would never....ever.....do this. If I have to take money out of my pocket to fight with some other lco over an account. the other lco is more than welcome to it.

I have a certain $ figure, and if I cant reach it with any account, then someone else can have it. If the lco is shootin thier mouths off so what. I am not about to low ball em and lose money.

I'll show em up, an in the long run I'll get the account, cause if yer good it dont matter what anyone says or does.....

You do not know the whole story. That was the readers digest version. Never say you will not do something. That has a way of coming back to bite you. He was trying to take LOTS of money out of my pocket. I see what me and a few other did as a small investment to get rid of the scrub.

captaingreen
01-20-2004, 11:01 PM
I know some of the competition in my town. Anytime I run into a competitor I will make conservation and be friendly even if I don't them personally. I think we should be supportive of each other. I know in my town of over 60,000 I sure couldn't be responsible for mowing all of the lawns.

Avery
01-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by captaingreen
I know some of the competition in my town. Anytime I run into a competitor I will make conservation and be friendly even if I don't them personally. I think we should be supportive of each other. I know in my town of over 60,000 I sure couldn't be responsible for mowing all of the lawns.

I hear ya. I do the same. Saw a fellow LCO working on a irrigation valve last summer. He was stuck. All the way on the north end of the beach and was short a few fittings. I pulled what he needed out of our irrigation van and gave them to him no charge. Friendly competition I do not mind. Legitimate business I do not mind. I will go out of my way to help anyone. Come in trying to hurt my business through underhanded means and I will do everything in my power to put you out of business. Even if it means I have to lose a few bucks on some accounts. I will take the loss 'till you are gone then raise the price back to where it was.

bastalker
01-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Avery
You do not know the whole story. That was the readers digest version. Never say you will not do something. That has a way of coming back to bite you. He was trying to take LOTS of money out of my pocket. I see what me and a few other did as a small investment to get rid of the scrub.

He is not tryin to take money out of yer pocket. He is tryin to make a living....If yer were gonna cut his price in half. how could he possibly be takin money out of yer pocket?

Dont mean to down ya avery, but I bet when you first started, you didn't start with a 100 accounts. Everyone on this forum was a scrub at one point. No one starts in this biz without lowballin someone.

I personally would have just let him have it. Prolly helped him out as much as I could, knowing that the clients I have will be with me for the long haul.

I might have even given him a few of my accounts, that really dont make me money, just to help him along.

I bet in a year or two this scrub yer talkin about could prolly help ya out in one way or another. The same way you helped him out.....

Avery
01-21-2004, 12:46 AM
You are missing the point bastalker. I am not talking about a new LCO in the area. I have much respect for the small guys. I know what they are going through. I am talking about one that has mega bucks to start out big, one that actively goes to your customers and tells them what a terrible job you are doing, one that even stoops to sabotaging your accounts by various means i.e. messing with irrigation pumps. One that brags that they intend to run every other LCO and landscaper in the area out of business. You have no idea how far this person was willing to go and I do not have the hours it would take to list everything.

Like I said before. Never say never. If someone was actively trying to put you out of business you would do whatever it took to get rid of them first.

You apparently are not grasping the scope of the situation. I hope none of you are ever faced with it.

broken leg
01-21-2004, 12:51 AM
It sounds like that LCO if you want to call him that had more money then since. There is plenty of work out there if you want to work. Sounds like he did not want to work he wanted it all given to him.

Avery
01-21-2004, 12:55 AM
DING DING DING....we have a winner. Someone finally gets it! :)