PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Fixed Or Floating?

SIRCAESAR
01-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Hey guys i put up the Exmark vs Scag, Vs Hustler Vs Snapper Vs Gravely post a few days ago which all of you gave great feedback thank you, trying to decide on which one to get, well I am deciding on the Exmark metro walkbehind 36" that I want. the guy says they will be doing a demo and sale in my area on feb 11, the price will come from I think $3000 to $2199, the only thing is it has a fixed deck, I also looked at the toro and exmark 48" their both $3499 with floating decks, the guy told me Toro bought out exmark, which is why the machines look totally identical..except the Exmark has pistol Grip, the 36" floating is only $200 less then the 48" floating? $3299, I asked the guy the major difference between the fixed and floating decks. he said on hills the floating deck would not rub, versus the fix rubbing and messing up the caster wheels..unless I adjust something else he said. What do you think, should I save the $1000 and go with the exmark 36" fixed, or is it worth it to pay the extra $1000 and get the floating deck?

Turfdude
01-20-2004, 09:26 AM
IMHO, a 36" deck doesn't create many scalping and/or terrain problems. You should be a-okay w/ a fixed deck. Also, remember floating deck machines are heavier as well as more expensive. BTW, did you check out their ECS controls.

BB36
01-20-2004, 09:43 AM
I've use both Toro 36" floating and Toro 36" fixed deck.The floating deck is the better of the two only because in my opinion the floating deck goes over uneven ground and will not scalp the turf as often as the fixed deck . Even with a floating deck if I'm going to fast and going over a bump it will sometimes scalp the turf anyway. The fixed deck will scalp some turf easier ( ei. Bermuda),but its cost less, otherwise its a good machine.

Henry
01-20-2004, 09:46 AM
I bought 2 exmark floating deck machines a couple years ago and I think it was a waste of money. The weight makes them a little harder to manuever and the guys will end up scalping areas where they enter a lawn if it's higher than the driveway or sidewalk. We'll probabaly go back to fixed decks exmarks soon.

hole in one lco
01-20-2004, 10:13 AM
There is no need for a floating deck on a 36. imo

ElephantNest
01-20-2004, 11:46 AM
I have a 36" exmark floating deck and love it. It does not scalp in places the fixed deck did, and even my 21" lawn boys did. As for that price, the exmark metro goes for $1999.00 brand new around here with fixed deck.

lawnchopper
01-20-2004, 11:51 AM
you problaby wont have a problem with a fixed on a 36" however i would rather have a floater

Clark Landscaping
01-20-2004, 01:03 PM
whats the opinion on a 48 walkbehind,

PLI1
01-20-2004, 05:59 PM
I have 3 exmark 48" Vikings and I have never had a problem w/scalping. They cut great and stripe nicely also!!

rotgg
01-20-2004, 07:02 PM
with a 36" wont matter that much

locutus
01-20-2004, 07:23 PM
I have a 36" Exmark floating deck. If you look at one, it only has one anti-scalp roller. I dont think it has ever touched the ground. The primary reason to purchase a 36" floating deck is for ease of height adjustment.

CNE
01-20-2004, 07:46 PM
I have a Gravely 48" Floating deck. I was looking for a 36 but got such a deal on this one I decided to wait and buy a 36 this year. I don't have scalping problems with the 48. Another thing to consider is belt drive vs. hydro. In my opinion, the hydro is much easier to operate. With the belt drive, you have to manually shift into reverse and shift to increase speed. With my hydro, all I have to do to reverse is squeeze the grips. I don't think I would ever buy a non-hydro unit. Hydro's are so much easier to operate. However, the belt drive is a lot less expensive, but to me, the ease of control is worth the money. Check around, you may run across a deal like I did. It had 18 hrs on it and was like brand new. It is close to $5k new, I bought it for $3k even. Like I said, too good to pass on.

captaingreen
01-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I have a Metro 36" fixed and never have had a problem with scalping. I mow at 3.5" here in the trans. zone. so I did have to have my dealer set the axle height up so the blade wouldn't be at an upward angle when I adjusted the caster spacers. As far as I can see the only advantage in this size mower would be the ease of switching mowing heights, like if you were going from cutting a warm season turf like Zoysia to a cool season turf like Fescue, which is common in my area, I just don't have properties that present that problem. Good luck!

Tomt
01-20-2004, 08:55 PM
I had a fixed deck Toro and traded it in on a Exmark floating deck. The main reason was the ease of height adjustment. I have customers with varying turfs and need to be cut at various heights. Just something else to consider.
:cool:

SIRCAESAR
01-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Hello Guys thank you everyone for your feedback.. I will be mainly cutting Bermuda, here in Georgia.. on that note, would you suggest the floating or fixed? I personally like most of the people like bermuda low becaue it looks like carpet..so with that being said do you thing scalping will still be an issue..?

BB36
01-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by SIRCAESAR
Hello Guys thank you everyone for your feedback.. I will be mainly cutting Bermuda, here in Georgia.. on that note, would you suggest the floating or fixed? I personally like most of the people like bermuda low becaue it looks like carpet..so with that being said do you thing scalping will still be an issue..?

When I mow Hybrid Bermuda lawns and the customer wants a golf course cut I use my 52' Toro Z with a floating deck.I mow very,very slow and I get one hell of a cut.It can be cut with either a Z or a WB it really does not matter,but you need a floater,sharp blades and go very,very slow.It takes extra time but these special clients have no problem paying for the extra work. I'll mow early on at 1 1/2" cut then later on in the season i'll move to a 1 3/4' cut. I cut warm season grasses here in Southeastern N.C. Hope it helps.

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 07:51 PM
I agree with a couple of post above totally - The only advantage of the floating deck is the ease of height adjustment - If you mow most yards the same height or within 1/2 inch of the same height the floating deck is not an issue.

kmeforou
01-22-2004, 09:21 PM
The Graveley 48 hydro for 3000.00 was an unbelievable price. You were very fortunate. I looked at a new belt driven 44 and they want 2850.00. What is nice about Gravely is it is built like a fixed deck unit, but is very easy to adjust the heights. They have pins that readily pull out. I imagine it would be as easy if not easier to adjust this deck than a floating deck. You may be able to get a 36 for arround 2500.00. However, lookout for its width. The 36 measures about 38 and one half inches at its widest point. This would make it difficult to get through many gates. I am going to either buy the 34 Graveley zero turn and a 44 walk-behind or a 36 Toro floating deck and a Graveley 44 or 48 zero turn. I have still left my option open for the 48 scag zero turn.