PDA

View Full Version : working on sundays

AuburnGuy
01-20-2004, 01:34 PM
I do this part time. This year I plan on having 10-15 or so customers this year. Depending on rain, it is possible that i may have to do some lawns on Sunday afternoons. Have any of you run into problems from customers being at their house on Sunday afternoon?

BB36
01-20-2004, 01:42 PM
I don't cut on Sundays; but some lcos I know do and their residentials don't like it.Commercials don't matter one way or the other, they're mostly closed.

Avery
01-20-2004, 01:45 PM
We sometimes have to cut on Sunday if we get behind due to weather. Our jobs are commercial so it does not matter to them. Long as it gets done.

Kelly & Sons
01-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Sometimes I work 3-4 hours on Sunday morning, never had any complaints, but... I suppose it might upset some home owners.

iowapride
01-20-2004, 01:53 PM
In 9 years of business I don't think I've ever cut a residential lawn except for my own. We've done some commercials to get caught up. If I know I'm going to have to work Sunday, I will save the commercials till then just out of respect for the residential customers. If I were them, I wouldn't want a LCO or contractor working on my lawn on a Sunday.

J&R
01-20-2004, 01:54 PM
I have one commercial site that can only be done on Sunday but they pay 40% more because of Sunday only.

DJL
01-20-2004, 02:00 PM
For residentials I try not to cut on Sunday due to the noise. There were a few days this past year I had to b/c of the darn rain. I also do this 'part-time'. However, sometimes I'll do the extra jobs (i.e. mulch, seeding, etc.) on Sunday. But I will ask the homeowner first if it is okay. I haven't had a problem yet. Also, I do my one commercial job on Sunday. This is because I also clean up the parking lot and it is much easier to do without all the cars on the lot. At 9am on Sunday morning there is usually no cars in the lot. Makes my job easier.

CamLand
01-20-2004, 02:08 PM
i have always said i work 6 1/2 days a week, commercials only on sunday if needed..

Qdriver
01-20-2004, 03:48 PM
O.K.,... I am a new, solo, part time LCO and have not cut the first lawn Yet!

I understand about it being a "Holy Day".

That being said,.. What is wrong with cutting on Sunday?

As a part-timer, Saturday and Sunday Will be the main days I WILL work on.

PLI1
01-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Commercial jobs only on Sundays. We normally work 6 days a week, but sometimes weather is a factor.

GLS
01-20-2004, 03:56 PM
We don't cut on sundays unless they are commercials or it rained all week and there is no choice.

We also try to cut residentials between 8AM - 4PM. I'd love to start cutting earlier, but I don't want to disturb the client or their neighbors.

GarPA
01-20-2004, 04:00 PM
qdriver...most of the people who hire us, do so because they lead hectic lives, are stresed out, and dont have the time to mow their grass....hence they hire you.

so, if you were them, and Sunday you finally have a half day to rest and get some peace and quiet....and as you are drifting off to sleep in your hammock in the backyard, Joes Mow & Go shows up and fires up his monster mower and proceeds to wreck your restful afternoon....how would you feel about that Mr Homeowner? I know I would be pissed if I lived there...

We do some commercial most Sundays as they are far easier when they are closed, but would never do a res. unless we had non stop rain and were way behind...and then we would call them first and get their ok before we showed up.

TJLC
01-20-2004, 05:30 PM
My commercial accounts on Sunday, yes if need be. My residentials, only on a Sunday if I see absolutely NO other way to avoid it.

DennisF
01-20-2004, 05:33 PM
I don't make a habit of mowing on weekends (Sat or Sun), because most customers are at home enjoying their pool, barbqueing, etc. Sometimes weather or equipment problems can put you behind and you have no choice but to work on weekends. If I have to mow a residential on sunday I call the customer and ask if it is ok with them before showing up to mow. Otherwise I won't mow on Sunday.

WeatherMan
01-20-2004, 05:39 PM
We mow residentials 5 days a week never on saturday or sunday
I think that is family time for me so I know its family time for the customers too

olderthandirt
01-20-2004, 06:11 PM
I have mowed and done installs on sunday I always call a day or so ahead of time and if theres a problem I will reshceldule them. If its been raining and you have residential customers that need installs they usually don't care what day you can fit them in. But I always leave it up to the customer. Mowing I sure would not want to make it a habit of showing up on Sunday, it looks like your part time and can only do it on week ends and that is how I would pay you, as a part time lawn boy.

Mac

mtdman
01-20-2004, 07:10 PM
I have mowed residentials on Sunday no problem. In general, I tried to stay away from it in past years. But last year I was doing one of my commercials down town that I could only get to on Sunday, and sometimes did some residentials to catch up. I felt bad about it in the start of the season, and would call ahead of time. Never did I get a 'don't come today' from a customer, and I never had a problem with it. Personally, I would like to NOT cut on sundays, and might go back to that this year.

BOTURF
01-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Dont like to mow on sunday and never ever try to do it but sometimes if it rains 3 days during the week you have no choice and the way the grass grew this year with all the rain you cant let it go for over 7 days on the cycle. For me being solo and mowing 60 plus accounts i have to have 5 good days of 11 hr days of cutting to get everything done

rkbrown
01-20-2004, 07:59 PM
I also try to avoid cutting on Sunday. On the rare occasion that I have had to, the customers were very understanding.

lawnguyz2k3
01-20-2004, 08:57 PM
i've cut on sundays and never had a problem.I also cut part time I told all my customers that Sundays will be the days i show up because im part time.They did not mind as long as they didn't have to cut it themselves..:blob2:

bastalker
01-20-2004, 09:11 PM
If the weather has been obnoxious, we really dont have the choice....If you have to cut on Sunday, ya have to cut on Sunday. Home owners just seem to understand.

Sayin that and readin yer post...Why, with just 15 accounts, would you want to cut on sunday?

There are alot of hours in a day to cut. Even if you cant start till 5:00, you can still knock em all out durin the week....

stump
01-20-2004, 10:40 PM
We never cut on Sunday. If I have to play catch up, I just call the wife and tell her to put my dinner in the microwave and she doesn't have to wait up for me. Sometimes you just have to squeeze every bit of daylight out of the week and then turn on the headlights.

TURF DOCTOR
01-20-2004, 11:16 PM
7 out of 10 do not want there grass cut on a sunday.Commercial accounts don't care there usally ther on that day.

Creative Lawn Care
01-20-2004, 11:31 PM
We never cut on Sunday. That is my one day a week that I spend with my wife and kids. If it rains and we are behind, then there will be six days next week for me to catch up. If a customer doesnt like this, then they can find someone else. Just my opinion but I try to remember what really matters and to me thats family, without them it doesnt matter how many yards I get done.

bastalker
01-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Creative Lawn Care
We never cut on Sunday. That is my one day a week that I spend with my wife and kids. If it rains and we are behind, then there will be six days next week for me to catch up. If a customer doesnt like this, then they can find someone else. Just my opinion but I try to remember what really matters and to me thats family, without them it doesnt matter how many yards I get done.

I agree 100% CLC. I just figured if the weather was obnoxious, then I could spend Monday-Friday with the wife an kids, and my customers probably wouldn't mind if I cut em on Sunday......