PDA

View Full Version : Encore Mowers

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Anyone here use Encore? I see alot of posts with Hustler and Scag but none with Encore and no links to their site either.

ElephantNest
01-20-2004, 11:34 PM
www.encoreequipment.com

pcnservices
01-20-2004, 11:41 PM
packerbacker,
I use an Encore Prowler and like it very much. What I like most about it is the pivoting front axle and articulating floating deck which IMO is a true floating deck. Very solid and gutsy mower.
No you wont find links to their website on this LS as they are not a sponsor here. This thread will probably get banned too.
I apologise for the filthy mower in the picture. I took the picture after it got back from a fall cleanup. This is a 23 hp Kawasaki 52". I have put ± 400 hrs on it just this 2003 season - no mechanical failures or problems. Need to replace a throttle cable. I also replaced the inner liner of the blower vac.
Good Luck
PC

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-W92P4BHLZG.000\My Documents\My Pictures\mower6.jpg

packerbacker
01-20-2004, 11:43 PM
thanks pcn, i just bought a new 48 last summer, before that i has the same one for 6 years (bought it off the guy i worked for), only problem i ever had was 1 spindle went out on it

65hoss
01-21-2004, 01:14 AM
The main problem I've had w/ my encore is all the spindle bearings going out all the time.

Phishook
01-21-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss
The main problem I've had w/ my encore is all the spindle bearings going out all the time.

Are you still using that thing?

65hoss
01-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Not really. It sits in my way. I just put new sets of bearing in 2 spindles and the bearings for the 3 are already in the shop. Then I guess I'll let it sit again.

sgreanbean
01-21-2004, 10:20 AM
I had an Encore 32". Although I had Toro, Exmark and Gravely, that encore was the best cutting machine i have ever seen.

65hoss
01-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by sgreanbean
I had an Encore 32". Although I had Toro, Exmark and Gravely, that encore was the best cutting machine i have ever seen.

In that case I'm not sure how much you have seen. My encore and anyone that has ever used it or seen it cut agrees, no comparision at all to anything else out there.

If anyone wonders, you can come test them side by side here in the spring.

pcnservices
01-21-2004, 11:29 AM
65hoss, I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your spindle bearings going bad on your Encore all the time. I agree it is frustating and unneccesary downtime.

I'm not defending Encore here at all, but you'll have to agree with me that with a blade tip speed of 19000 rpm and the dust, dirt and grime, those spindles and bearings take a rough and hard beating. And if a plastic bag or a piece of twine gets wrapped around the spindle, it is fatal!

You posted in another thread that you use your Encore for bush hog type mowing. This is a lawn mower. Not a bush cutter.

As with any product that gets manufactured and put into production on the "front end" you will have "teething" problems. Unless those problems gets reported to the manufacturer and corrected by them, that problem will persist.

Encore use the same maintenance free spindles that gets used on any other brand manufactured today. Earlier models (including other brand mowers) had spindles that had to be greased and maintained almost every hour.

So if the spindles were not maintained and went bad, then I guess the problem is partly to blame on one self. I think it is unfair to label the Encore mower as a bad mower just because a spindle went bad on it. A spindle can go bad on any mower. And if you or who ever have an Exmark or a whatever brand and have'nt had a spindle go bad - touch wood and consider yourself lucky.

LUCKILY they went bad on the Encore mowers and Encore could correct the problem.

65hoss, If you need me to go to the manufacturer here and talk to them about your problem and ask them to see how they can help to solve your problem then I'll be happy to do it for you. These guys don't accept problems on their mowers working out there. Send me a PM with your contact details and I'll even give it to them.

Hope to hear from you.
PC

65hoss
01-21-2004, 12:15 PM
PNC I understand your thoughts. Mine is a 99 model with the greaseable spindles. I've tried every way possible to make them last. In 2 years of work it had every bearing replaced at least 4-5 times. I can also tell you, it doesn't run anywhere near 19,000 fpm. Its 16k if lucky. No its not belts or anything like that. Yes, they may have made changes on the one ones, but there is no way after all the stuff (not just bearings) I would ever spend my money on one again. Never.

I said I use it now for bushhog type work. I don't mean fields, I mean overgrown lawns, etc. I did this after I gave up on it being a real grass cutting machine. I do this for a living, no time for all the junk. The cut is good, not great. No comparision to any of my eXmarks. The best part of the mower is the 14 hp Kawi on it.

Thanks for the offer, but I have no intention of spending money to try to make this mower work as a real grass cutter. I mulch only now and nothing compares to the eXmarks mulching ability. This mower would never be a good mulching mower.

dishboy
01-21-2004, 12:19 PM
My friend has three 36 w\b belt drives. He has had good service out of them. I'm not crazy about the cut or lack of baffling under the deck IMO.

odin
01-21-2004, 02:08 PM
we had a 36 inch belt drive sorriest mower ever ...it was built like a turd in a punch bowl.

it did make a good tie down........was great to tie one of my rotties to it.

cut was sorry low blade tip speed ....sorry sorry sorry mower

pcnservices
01-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
Mine is a 99 model with the greaseable spindles.
That's what I thought the problem was - greasable spindles. Encore would've replaced those spindles with maintenance free spindles right away. I guess your dealer keeps on replacing it with greasable spindles all the time and if so, you know your problem won't quit.
Anyhow I'll talk to the guys at Encore here and see what they say and how they can help. My mower gets serviced and maintained by them. So, I guess I'm very fortunate to have their after sales service and not having to deal with a dealer.
Good Luck
PC

Phishook
01-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by sgreanbean

my encore cut's like a champ too. Those spindles are hard to change though.

ElephantNest
01-21-2004, 06:50 PM
2003 Encore prowler 61" on ebay for just over $5000.00, said to have 21 hours on it, and it has a 27HP Liquid-Cooled Daihatsu Diesel Engine. Says original price is $15,***.00, LMAO, called my dealer and he said $10,100.00 brand new. Looks like a nice mower to me, and great price. Just a heads up.

~Nest

GTLC
01-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Loren Haud has one I believe