PDA

View Full Version : Which Home Study Turfgrass Course

Bryn
01-20-2004, 10:37 PM
I was wondering what experience people have had with the Purdue and Georgia Turf grass study courses? Which one you would recommend, pros and cons to each course? Or maybe suggestions for other self study courses.

I'm looking at starting one of the courses to supplement my studying for my TN license in HLT.

Thanks

Bryn

Fvstringpicker
01-20-2004, 11:55 PM
I studied the course for the certified turfgrass professional exam from the University of Georgia and PLCAA. I found it fairly comprehensive.

Moguy
01-21-2004, 01:09 AM
Im waiting on course materials for that program from the University of Georgia. tiedeman, recommended it . Maybe he can add his two cents along with what Fvstringpicker already said.

kppurn
01-21-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Fvstringpicker
I studied the course for the certified turfgrass professional exam from the University of Georgia and PLCAA. I found it fairly comprehensive.

I found the PLCAA course to be informative also. Don't be like me though and get behind. ;)

When I started the course I was pretty busy but managed to study a little each night. Then I really focused on studying for my pest. applicators license and got behind. My year to complete the course was up and instead of filing for an extension, I decided to just finish it on my own. No plaque, no official certification, but the knowledge is what mattered most to me.

mtdman
01-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Which course at Georgia are we talking about? The certificate program, or the college credit program? I was looking at those as well.

SWD
01-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Depends what you want out of the course.
Check out Penn State's on-line courses. Provided the on-line information is comparable to their on campus info, you are going straight to the horse's mouth on turfgrass management info.

Randy J
01-21-2004, 06:55 PM
I took and passed both. I started with the Georgia course, and followed that up with the Purdue one. Personally I think that's the best way to go (although I did it quite by accident). The Georgia class is a little more forgiving than the Purdue course and is a little more in depth.

Randy

sawdust
01-21-2004, 09:54 PM
Just finished the Purdue Turf course. Very good helped alot with my state pesticide test. You better study hard for final exam very very hard.

hoffmanlandscaping
01-21-2004, 10:11 PM
where can you get information about these programs? Do they have a website? I searched purdues but came up with nothing.

Bryn
01-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Try here

http://www.gactr.uga.edu/is/turf/index.html

and here

http://www.cll.purdue.edu/extendeduniversity/selfdirected/correspondencecourses/pestcontrol/detail/index.cfm?Course_ID=3

Best Regards

Bryn

hoffmanlandscaping
01-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Thank Bryn! Both look like they would be worth while I might just have to do one of those also.

GBCS
01-21-2004, 10:52 PM
SWD,

What dealer do you use in Texas for your Gravely mowers?

Sorry guys about the off topic.

Bryn
10-13-2004, 06:56 PM
I posted this question about nine months ago, and on the recommendation from others I have decided to take the Georgia course first, followed by the Purdue at a later date. I will try and post updates as I move through the chapters, so others can get an idea of what they are missing, or should expect.

One area where I think my expectations will be high, because my knowledge is weak, will be in the weeds section followed by the herbicide application.

If anyone has taken this course recently, and has some advice to give, it would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Bryn