PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Hitch guides?

shearbolt
01-21-2004, 12:07 AM
I hate trying to hitch the trailer up. Do these work well.

Avery
01-21-2004, 12:34 AM
I use years and years of practice! I have seen them, but never tired them.

Most of mine are easy to hook up to. One is a royal pain. You have to be dead on.

Royalslover
01-21-2004, 12:45 AM
I haven't used one but I also hate hooking up my trailer. It never takes me less than five times to get lined up. I don't think those "V" shaped ones would work for a loaded tandem but would probably be allright for a single axle with little tounge weight. I've always wanted to mount a mirror. Another way would be to mount two rods that meet each other when it is lined up right.

work_it
01-21-2004, 03:18 AM
I've never used one. Just make a mental notes of what the back corner of your truck looks like in your drivers side rear view mirror when it's hooked up, and how it lines up with the trailer. Then every time you're backing up just aim for the same exact point. I can usually get it within an inch of dead center every time.

tawilson1152
01-21-2004, 07:33 AM
I painted a small stripe on the center of my tailgate, then with the tailgate down, line the stripe up with the jack on the trailer. When you disconnect the trailer, jack it up just high enough so the ball rubs when you pull out. Then when you go to hook it up, you can feel it rub so you know when to stop. Also, you'll get used to the distance from the tailgate to the jack.

mtdman
01-21-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by tawilson1152
I painted a small stripe on the center of my tailgate, then with the tailgate down, line the stripe up with the jack on the trailer. When you disconnect the trailer, jack it up just high enough so the ball rubs when you pull out. Then when you go to hook it up, you can feel it rub so you know when to stop. Also, you'll get used to the distance from the tailgate to the jack.

I've got a big dent in my tailgate right in the middle, and that's what I always use. It doesn't usually take me very long to hook it up, but I've thought of using a mirror on the trailer to see better as well.

GarPA
01-21-2004, 08:00 AM
I just align the outside of the wheel well flares with the outside of the trailer walls (enclosed its easier I would think).
80% of the time I;m right under the hitch. My problem is never knowing if I'm an inch too far back or an inch too far forward....that part I get right only about 2 out of 10 times....ticks me off because I'm too damn dumb to get that part right

LawnPerfect
01-21-2004, 10:04 AM
I saw a guy pulling a travel trailer that had a convex mirror on the front of it the other day. I got to talking to him and he uses it for hitching as well as keeping an eye on everything while going down the road. Not a bad idea.

lawnagent
01-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by tawilson1152

That is a really great idea! I had thought of buying th E Z hitch but I am going to try that first. I think I will do it today. No yards to mow.:(

tawilson1152
01-22-2004, 08:39 AM
"I've got a big dent in my tailgate right in the middle, and that's what I always use."
I didn't have a dent to use so I had to settle for a stupid stripe.

KenH
01-22-2004, 09:06 AM
I just listen for the big BANG, then I pull foward a hair. Perfect.:D :D

J & J Mowing
01-22-2004, 09:43 AM
KenH
Same here and my truck tag is proof.
:blob3:

GarPA
01-22-2004, 10:09 AM
its that "hair" part I cant seem to get right...maybe I'll try an inch forward after the big BANG...I'll still probably wont get it right because I'm ******ed most days....

KenH
01-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Usually once you hear the bang and put the truck in part, it will roll foward just enough on its own. Unless of course you are parked uphill.:p

walker-talker
01-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by work_it
I've never used one. Just make a mental notes of what the back corner of your truck looks like in your drivers side rear view mirror when it's hooked up, and how it lines up with the trailer. Then every time you're backing up just aim for the same exact point. I can usually get it within an inch of dead center every time. This is what I do also, but like the mirror idea...pretty clever!

burnandreturn
01-22-2004, 11:29 AM
On the goosenecks we use a bungee cord stretched across the top of the truck bed exactly in front of the pipe coming down onto the ball. We mark the middle of the bungee. Then you don't have to torque yourself all around trying to line up. Just back up until the mark in the middle of the bungee touches the pipe on the trailer. Works great! Anyone can hook up with ease.

PROCUT1
01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
I used to use the BANG and HAIR method. From that now I am able to use the TAILGATE DENT method.

Clark Landscaping
01-22-2004, 07:49 PM
I welded a peice of drilled out solid stock to the tongue on my trailer and then bent a piece of brazing rod which I keep under my seat. Put rod in hole and back up until I see it move, just right. I can't see the trailer in the mirrors, except the rear end, dually. works great. If I don't know where the middle is I put a rake handle or something in the middle of the body to line up with the brazing rod indicator. The bueaty of the brazing rod is you can make one for each truck, not all the balls are the same distance from the body, saves me some time.

hole in one lco
01-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Trailer jack with the wheel on it. the big bang works good to:D

Lux Lawn
01-27-2004, 11:31 AM
I have the side mounted jack wheel on mine and get as close as I can then roll the trailer if need be.

Grass King
01-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Check this site out, it may help.

http://www.secureyourtrailer.com/ezhitch.htm

GrassBustersLawn
01-30-2004, 01:06 AM
I bought an E-Z Hitch from www.Ballard-Inc.com. I use it when hooking up my dump trailer, which weighs too much to move. My other trailers, even when loaded are balanced just right so we can move them small amounts pretty easily. Can't budge the dump trailer. IT WORKS GREAT. ONE GUY can hook it up easily. Don't need one driver and one director taking 5 minutes anymore. A TIME SAVER WELL WORTH THE $ IMHO!

Mike