PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of geese?

bligh61
01-21-2004, 09:31 AM
any ideas on how to get geese off of my customers lawns, any sprays or tricks used?

Littleriver1
01-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Gempler's Catalog has something in it that may work. www.gempler's.com

Blades of Steel
01-21-2004, 09:41 AM
here in the south we use #4 shot and a 12 guage !

Popsicle
01-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Are they walking onto the yards from the water?

A property I service had them something horrible and the solution came in a simple wrought iron fence (only about 36" high) along the top of the short bulkhead. Apparently, most geese prefer to walk onto land rather than fly in. No more geese.

Shotguns wouldn't have gone over real well up here. ;)

John Gamba
01-21-2004, 10:43 AM
A Rosting pan and some butter.

Birddog Lawncare
01-21-2004, 10:48 AM
If you can't use a 12ga, try putting up some pink flamingos and that will run them off.

BSDeality
01-21-2004, 10:50 AM
it isn't very practical but, the country club around here use some Dogs that patrol the course.

sildoc
01-21-2004, 11:46 AM
A single wire that is 18" or so, off the ground. stretched for the length of such pond or water area.

The Idea stems from turkeys. All birds can walk and most can fly. A study came out that to keep particuarly turkeys (but also ducks, chickens, geese, emu, and other fowl for eating) is that you place a fence or wire about 2/3-5/8 the birds height around area you want to keep them in.
The birds will not fly over it because the wire is too low and they wont go over it because the wire is too high.

MudslinginFX4
01-21-2004, 01:24 PM
I live on a golf course and we use dogs also, but the dogs can't keep them off of every whole at the same time so it seems like they are always somewhere! I think a shot gun is your best bet!

NCSULandscaper
01-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality
it isn't very practical but, the country club around here use some Dogs that patrol the course.

That would work well except the animal control dept would pick the dogs up here.

What about an air blast cannon on a timed controller.

Grassmechanic
01-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by sildoc
A single wire that is 18" or so, off the ground. stretched for the length of such pond or water area.

The Idea stems from turkeys. All birds can walk and most can fly. A study came out that to keep particuarly turkeys (but also ducks, chickens, geese, emu, and other fowl for eating) is that you place a fence or wire about 2/3-5/8 the birds height around area you want to keep them in.
The birds will not fly over it because the wire is too low and they wont go over it because the wire is too high. I used a method very similar to yours with great success. I used 20# mono fishing line about 6" from the ground. Drove the geese nuts because they couldn't see what they were running into.

Evan528
01-21-2004, 02:27 PM
There is a local company in my area call the geese police. Companies pay them to come in with there dogs on a set basis to scare the geese away. Geese are a major problem in my area making quite a mess.

heritage
01-21-2004, 04:08 PM
I spray Flight Control Plus at the 3oz. per 1000 sq. ft. rate. I make 2 apps in the spring 2 weeks apart beginning right before migration and 1 app in the fall during migration. The best product I have ever used for geese.

WWW.FLIGHTCONTROL.COM

Pete D

BigEd
01-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Propane cannon if you can deal with the noise.

Expert Lawns
01-21-2004, 05:44 PM
what about a statue of a dog or coyote

DennisF
01-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Firecrackers or co2 horns work pretty good for me.

JHMlandscapes
01-21-2004, 10:26 PM
I've heard of dogs being used at golf courses because the geese 'make messes' on the greens, and it leaves a dead spot. Luckily, I haven't had that problem bad at my course, but we do have our share of wildlife. I kinda wish we did have dogs though, be a fun companion.

Henry

hole in one lco
01-21-2004, 10:53 PM
You can purchase the died gees statues. The fishing line works well to.

thfireman
01-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality

A retirement village for rich folks here in Charlotte paid thousands of dollars for a special dog that was trained to chaise ducks and geese of the side walks in the village. He did a great job until one day he stopped doing his job. They tried to have him retrained but no good. They ended up giving him away to some guy that worked there.

Thats what they get for spending that much on something without a warranty! LOL

cush
01-31-2004, 11:00 PM
After a while the propane cannons won't work. If you already have a goose problem let them winter but be sure to chase them off in the springb-4 they nest, otherwise their offspring will come back every year. I saw a video once of this lady who had a pair of ducks nest in her back yard. She took a video of the babies swiming in her pool. Seven years later she took a video of hundred of ducks in her pool. What a mess, best part was it was is some city in california and the neighbors filed a complaint but there was nothing the athorities could do.

lawn jockey
02-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Hello Everyone we service mostly lakeside accounts,and the geese are horrible! We have found the string about 10 inches above the ground along the lake shore works great! Or up here all you have to do is have written permission from 3 property owners on the lake and the shotguns may come out!!!