PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys offer pressure washing as well?

alpine692003
01-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Do some of you guys offer power washing with some of your services for lawncare / landscaping? I've been asked if I do power washing and I was like uhh..... I didnt know what to say, but now I'm beginning to think about getting a washer as well.

Any of you guys know of a dedicated www site for power washing such as this lawnsite.com is dedicated to lawncare/landscaping?

BB36
01-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Yes I do as a add on. Its not all that profitable but its a decent extra.I wouldn't go out and buy a $2000-$5000 pressure washer , never recoup. the overhead . .Just my opinion .

DFW Area Landscaper
01-21-2004, 01:45 PM
A friend of mine looked into that business very seriously a few years back. From what I understand about it, you can make good money on it, but most of the work has to be done at night when there aren't any cars in the parking lot. If you're working as a landscaper during the day, and power washing parking lots at night, when will you sleep?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Kelly & Sons
01-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I just started offering it about 3 months ago... My buddy does the work... I get him the jobs through my customers. I only take a cut off of what the job costs... for example, If I give the customer a price of $125, I pay him $100, and I keep $25... for a $200 job, I would keep $50... keep in mind that everything is his (pressure washer, chemicals, time, etc.) I am just making a cut off of it....

BB36
01-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Kelly & Sons
I just started offering it about 3 months ago... My buddy does the work... I get him the jobs through my customers. I only take a cut off of what the job costs... for example, If I give the customer a price of $125, I pay him $100, and I keep $25... for a $200 job, I would keep $50... keep in mind that everything is his (pressure washer, chemicals, time, etc.) I am just making a cut off of it....
Sounds like your sub contracting the jobs. Works well when you have exrta work you can't do and a friend who needs the work.

Kelly & Sons
01-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Exactly, and it makes me a little extra on the side, it's not money I depend on, just extra cash.... and ever since we did the first driveway, I have had jobs lined up... first it's their driveway, then it's their deck, then their pier (waterfront), then the upstairs balcony, then... well you get the picture... $$$

MudslinginFX4
01-21-2004, 02:17 PM
I sub contract mine out to a retired guy that I met one day that does it for some extra cash. He really does a good job, and it has worked out for the both of us.

alpine692003
01-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Ya, I wouldn't mind doing pressure washing as well..

Do you guys know of a www site dedicated to it?

Also, how do you get customers for pressure washing? Same thing as what we're doing right now with door hangers i presume.

Kelly & Sons
01-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I just mention it to them, if their driveway looks like it needs it, then I will mention it to them the next time that we talk.... I have gotten 4 out of 4 jobs this week

promower
01-21-2004, 03:27 PM
My gradmother owned a duplex about five years back. Duplex was made of wood and wasnt sealed. Grandpa was a homebuilder and he built most of his homes out of scrap material. Anyways the guy that pressure washed the home before he sealed it charged $2000 and it took him about a day.

Qdriver
01-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Alpine,

I plan on offering PW as an additional service. My brother owns a PW biz and he will let me use some of his equipment ( for a small fee and I pay for chemicals and hoses if I burst one). He will also completely do the extra PW jobs I can not handle & he will give me a finders fee for those.

I do not want to spend a lot of money on PW equip either until I see what revenue it can bring to MY biz.

Del9175
01-21-2004, 05:24 PM
I do a bit of Pressure Cleaning for my customers. I find it to be pretty easy money for the most part. I almost always pick up a job or two extra when I'm doing it in the gated community most of my work is in. The bulk of my experience is doing roofs, and I enjoy them. I have considered concentrating more on Pressure Cleaning but I just don't like the idea of having to constantly line up new work. I was working on a deal with a good customers of mine where he would handle the marketing and estimating and I would do the work. Went OK the first month but around the end of Dec. it kind of fizzled out.

Lux Lawn
01-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Alpine

I bought a powerwasher about four years ago at Home Depot did about five jobs with it. We don't really offer it because there is not much time for this but the unit is paid for now. Some people I will offer it to if we are all caught up with are other jobs.Its always nice to have to clean your own stuff. My Friends sure like to use mine I have not seen it since September that guy will be getting a phone call soon and he will never see it again.

KDJ
01-21-2004, 07:33 PM
My Lawns always look better with nice white sidewalks.

www.powerwashnetwork.com

Mr_Marc
01-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Down in my neck of the woods is big business. In our community they require it every three years. I used to do it for a living.

This is just a price range that i got from the local rag.
2 story house, roof, walls, drive, patio, sidewalk, swail. 125.00 under 2,500 SQ feet.
2,500 and up slightly higher.

I would ask you insurance agent if you are covered under your current policy. They consider pressure washing more of a liability because of getting up on the roof. You are also required to carry Material safety data sheets if you are going to use Chemical's. Just remember their will always be someone who in like our profession will under cut the price just to get work and ruin the market.

Marc...

CHAN
01-21-2004, 10:26 PM
here it requires a different lic. for doing cleaning so check on that also.

TotalCareSolutions
01-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Marc
2 story house, roof, walls, drive, patio, sidewalk, swail. 125.00
Marc...

We charge $200 for this size house only and no roof. I would not consider doing that amount of PW for $125.

It is coded differently when getting licenced, so you may require a different licence.

You could consider getting creative with using this service to enhance marketing

www.thecleanernetwork.com

Randy Scott
01-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by alpine692003
Do some of you guys offer power washing with some of your services for lawncare / landscaping?

No. We have plenty of other work, although it would be another avenue to generate income.

thfireman
01-22-2004, 12:06 AM
I used to incorporate it in my business for the first 3 years. Back then I called my company "Clean & Green". I had a 3000 psi washer. I got plenty of work at first but then the pressure washing boom hit my area and all the little pop up companies started lownballing. I sold my washer and concentrated on mowing.

If I had it to do again I would have only washed for my perminate clients and held on to that washer. Now all I have is a 1800 psi washer that I use for my personal use.:)

PROCUT1
01-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Up here they,re 600-700 for a job that size.

thfireman
01-22-2004, 07:25 PM
My uncle sold his 1600 sq. ft house in Michigan for $225,000 last year and bought a house that was 2250 sq. feet for $185,000 down here in Charlotte. I just asked him and he said that it cost him $450.00 to have his house washed before painting to get it ready to sell up there. I think if the price is lower down here is purely economic and is proportional to the cost of living in both places.

I might change my mind and get another more powerful washer and start back with lawn customers only to start with and see what the market is like here now.:confused:

grasssin
01-22-2004, 07:48 PM
I do pressure washing as well as lawn service, the best clients for pressure washing is realty companies. I do duplexes at $65 for a single story duplex which takes me about 45 minutes to do. And they usually have anywhere from 10-15 complexes at a time to do.

Not a bad little way to make some extra money I think.

Jlwnsrvce
01-23-2004, 11:48 AM
I did pressure washing for a few years. Learned quite a bit from this site.....http://www.dcs1.com/

Yard Perfect
01-23-2004, 12:32 PM
I am heading out in about 10 minutes to pressure wash. I charge approx... $50 an hour, mostly do driveways, patios etc and this in large part keeps me busy during the rainy days hear in the Northwest

Dave

Mac V2.0
01-23-2004, 12:40 PM
In Marty Grunder's younger years, he added that to his landscaping business. He later sold that portion of his business at a loss. If that man cant make it work, i dont know who can.

thfireman
01-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Mac V2.0
In Marty Grunder's younger years, he added that to his landscaping business. He later sold that portion of his business at a loss. If that man cant make it work, i dont know who can.

Good point.... I have changed my mind again. Thanks for reminding me why I sold it to start with. LOL:D

alpine692003
02-01-2004, 01:21 AM
My partner just got us a job power washing a building.

Hope it goes well..

about 1 block long and 1/4 block, I gotta get the details of this building!

DennisF
02-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Here in Florida I get $150 for 16 X 40 driveway. Takes about 3 hours average. Pool decks and patios avearge $100 and take about 2 hours. Whole house (single story) not including roof $300-$500 depending on size. Average time 6-8 hours. On the whole house jobs I break them up into 2 day jobs and try to do them in the evenings after mowing.
Power washing is easy money with very little overhead, but to do it right is time consuming. Most cities require a different license.

turf9
02-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I remember when I was signing up for insurence last year the agent asked if I did that service.It was more money because of all claims coming through from damages. I think I'll wash the mowers instead .My free advice

Jlwnsrvce
02-02-2004, 11:32 PM
http://www.dcs1.com/