PDA

View Full Version : Finding customers and setting pricies for Acreage Mowing?

1acreplus
01-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Is there anyone out there who has had success specializing in acreage mowing? I've got two mid-sized tractors from a failed landscape operation (ex-wife embezzled from our company!). I also have one 84" three-point deck.

With only needing to buy one more three-point deck to have a two tractor operation, I would be at a very low cost of entry for this business. I know I couldn't handle terrain or inclines like a low-slung Z, but for wide-open areas, I'm able to mow 7' wide at 5-6MPH.

Looking at the rates around here, I've seen between $20-25 per acre for properties with 3 acres or more of lawn, with extras like fence trimming as additional line items (how do I charge for that? per hour or per foot?)

So the big questions:

Can an operation be profitable at say, $22.50 an acre? I'm thinking about a base charge and a per-acre charge... something like $25 per trip plus $22.50 per acre, and waiving the trip charge for bigger properties. Maybe a minimum charge would be better, though. ($45?)

How do I find and retain good acreage lawn customers? Yellow page ads are expensive, and flyers don't exactly work on commercial properties. I'm currently trying direct mail (sent out over 500 letters - my tougue is gonna fall off from licking envelopes!), but haven't seen much response.

Is too early in the season to be marketing (Minnesota in January)?

Albemarle Lawn
01-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Equipment: JD 1600 Wide-Area mower, 11' cut.

We're going 7-9 MPH and cutting 11' at a time.

One day I cut $2500 of grass on $5 of fuel, but that is an exception.

J Hisch
01-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Most contractors who mow acreage also mow with Z's and the acreage is a bonus, to make it in that style of business, you would have to mow alot of mowing. the 40-60 acre figure is tried and true, but most who mosw acreage will do it for your price range if the acreage is over say 15 plus and falt and open. otherwise I would charge going rate. but you do and work for what your happy with.