PDA

View Full Version : Check Out This Mower

LASTEC
01-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi Guys,
This is one of the mowers I'm testing I wanted you guys to take a look and let me know what you think. The ditch im cutting would normaly be line trimed, but with this artiulating offset wing im able to mow about 90% of the ditch. It also works great around the lake and under lowgrowing white pines aswell as on flat ground. I hope the picture gets attached i have not posted a pic before.

JHMlandscapes
01-21-2004, 06:06 PM
That is a very interesting idea. Kinda like a built on flex-deck. If you had a lot of ponds or low trees...that would be a savior.

Henry

bastalker
01-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Can ya raise an lower that extension? Or does it just ride with the pitch? The pic kinda suggests that ya cant...

Tell ya what Shane send one up here in April an I will demo it for 6 months, and get back to ya... :D :D

LASTEC
01-21-2004, 06:31 PM
The picture shows a older prototype that don't lift but the new one do lift.

GLS
01-21-2004, 06:37 PM
What brand is it?

How wide is the wing?

What is the overall cutting width with wing?

How much does it weigh?

How big is engine?

Website?

Thanks

Expert Lawns
01-21-2004, 06:39 PM
hey, there's mulch for sale. hook it up

LASTEC
01-21-2004, 06:44 PM
This unit is a Lastec Articulator
52" Main deck
34" Wing
86" overall cutting width
33hp Kubota
total unit weight is around 1500 to 1600 lbs
we do have a web site this unit is not shown on the site yet.. www.lastec.com

rob1325
01-21-2004, 07:07 PM
If you have the work for it and saves you time and money go for it. Thats how I justify purchases.

DLCS
01-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Sweet, when do you think it will be out on the market. I could use something like that for mowing ditches or even just wide are mowing.

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Lastec - I want you to show me the main deck in the bottom and the extension doing that part along the road. How far does it flex down and up

http://Wide Deck

Next post is major up flex and still mowing

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 07:44 PM
here is up flex mowing up to 50 degrees
http://36X

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Excuse me - LASTEC makes the articulator - I do not see them as a sponsor on this forum - maybe I am blind. - Your mower is not offset forward and will not do the inside corners, and will not move in a lateral direction when trying to mow between narrow objects, it will just rotate rearward when turning to the left. It probably does square corners fine if it does not have wheels interfering on the back corner.

I got bashed pretty good when I was a sponsor and tried to show a mower that did something different - something like you have done. I was a sponsor though. Are you? Don't see LASTEC on the top of the home page.

LASTEC
01-21-2004, 08:01 PM
I can tell you it don't articulate 50 degree.. It's not designed to my findings on this mower is that it will cut wide area without dipping. you know how a 72" will dig in on the sides. This mower has enough flex that it works very well for contouring in commercial application. The main deck is a awesome design as well i will try to post more pics and a pic of mowing the outer side of the ditch.

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Oh yes LASTEC - I understand the limited articulation of many decks, JD makes one, Others make them too. Lastec makes one that articulates every 21" or so (many small decks), but the articulation is only about 8 to 10 degrees max. and they have a great concept as to contour mowing unlevel terrain (slightly unlevel terrain) not extreme places - you are only showing the slight incline part of the ditch - How do you mow that steep part along the road?

I agree that there is no such thing as a flat piece of property, and the wide fixed decks have problems (like the 72" type).

My main beef here is the perception of advertizing a product made by LASTEC when I as a member of Lawnsite do not see your banner at the top paying for the privilege. It seems rather coincidental that your LS handle is LASTEC and you are promoting the same product name.

I paid for the privilege for some time in the past. I do find it rather interesting that someone on this site did not have something to say about the pic (I think it is a great pic of what the mower does) being either fake, falsified, or just plain a lie.

packerbacker
01-21-2004, 08:17 PM
wow

LASTEC
01-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Lastec is a sponsor of this site. I'm not trying sell this im a R&D Tech. I am asking for input from commercial cutters, we want to build mowers that meets the needs of the end user. I'm NOT here to degrade anyones equipment just trying to learn from the end user.

battags
01-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
Excuse me.....I got bashed pretty good when I was a sponsor and tried to show a mower that did something different - something like you have done.

What, is this your turn to get even? Just ask this guy your questions without bashing him. There is too much of that as it is.

If your miffed that Lawnsite allowed the post, take it up with Sean, not this guy.

B

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Excuse me - my apologies - like I said - I like the pic you have and it does show the advantage it has - I am still trying to figure out where this site has your web site, or banner - you may want to talk to them about letting us know about your company on the home page.

LASTEC
01-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Banner will be up soon I have already paid for it.
here is the web site www.lastec.com

mdb landscaping
01-21-2004, 08:58 PM
hes introducing a cool new concept......isnt that the purpose of the forum? come up with cool designs, talk em over, and see what can be done to improve them and help aid the industry in increasing production with less effort. i for one love seeing pics of new ideas like this.........

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info - I have visited your web page already in the past, and in fact it is on the favorite list. Your have a good product, and it has a place in a lot more operations than it is probably in.

Thanks, Brad

Ryan Lightning
01-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Shane will the wing be removable, So the mower could be used for smaller lawns also?

LASTEC
01-21-2004, 09:18 PM
We are looking at ideas of bring the wing up 90 degree so that you could cut with the 52". I think will be a year or two we also have a 69" wing deck im testing as well... very sharp mower.

JHMlandscapes
01-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Note under Lastec's name, it clearly says "sponser". Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition, eh?

gene gls
01-21-2004, 11:27 PM
What's the dollar value of that unit?

Gene

LASTEC
01-21-2004, 11:33 PM
I don't need to talk about price of this unit on the this site. But if anyone wants to email me i can give that type of information.
My email is swhite@lastec.com

Tbarchaser
01-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Flex deck...chill out, below are a few links I feel you should check out.

http://www.prozac.com/index.jsp

http://www.zoloft.com/

packerbacker
01-21-2004, 11:51 PM
LMAO, i was going to say something but im a newbie and i know my place

thfireman
01-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey it does say that Lastec is a sponsor under his name. I don't see the problem. I like the idea of both Flex Deck and Lastec. They look like to me they are both intended for different results.

Welcome to Lawnsite there Lastec!:D

hoffmanlandscaping
01-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Lastec,
Looks like a heavy duty machine. The deck offset to one side would be a great benifit in many trimming situations. One thing that I've noticed alot of people worry about is the machines ability to stripe. How does this machine stripe with the wheel track off centered. One benifit that I can see with deck being able to be raised at a 90 deg other than being able to get into more places is loading onto a narrow trailer. Over all looks like a great machine would love to see one ran in person. Ever thought of designing a deck to fit under a ZTR with a articulation wing on both sides basically like your pull behinds?

pinnacle
01-22-2004, 12:39 AM
I just got in contact with one of the disributors in Aus (Mick from turf link). $40,000 AUD for the unit in the picture. Thats alot of money!

LASTEC, How much US for the unit in the pic?

Thanks!!

thfireman
01-22-2004, 12:55 AM
I paid for the privilege for some time in the past. I do find it rather interesting that someone on this site did not have something to say about the pic (I think it is a great pic of what the mower does) being either fake, falsified, or just plain a lie.

I have a hard time seeing why someone would call it a fake or a lie when the photo plainly shows the mower at work. Flex-Deck you have a good product that I wish I could afford. Don't flip over this, he has a machine that is intended to smooth out the larger areas without scaolping. Yours is intended to do a different job. Both have a place. It's all good IMOO.:)

bastalker
01-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Bet ya wont ramp that up into the back of a truck....lol Or in my trailer for that matter..

Flex-Deck
01-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks, I am chilled out. The Lastec concept looks good - I would think it would give a very contoured look to unlevel terrain, that is unattainable with the fixed wide decks. That thing should whack out a lot of acres in an hr.

Thanks, Brad - PS. Thanks for sponsoring on this forum LASTEC, as it is the people like you that keep it gong - Thanks again.

Meg-Mo
01-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Shane
We need to get some MEG MO blades on that mower this spring.

mike48114
01-22-2004, 11:18 AM
I dont know about the mower but the operator should pick up the trash rather than running it over!

LASTEC
01-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Yea, I should have picked up the trash:(

LASTEC
01-22-2004, 11:33 AM
I just got in contact with one of the disributors in Aus (Mick from turf link). $40,000 AUD for the unit in the picture. Thats alot of money![B]

I can tell you this that the mower is not even close to 40,000 grand... and distributors in AUS don't know this mower exsist.
swhite@lastec.com

LASTEC
01-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by hoffmanlandscaping
Lastec,
Looks like a heavy duty machine. The deck offset to one side would be a great benifit in many trimming situations. One thing that I've noticed alot of people worry about is the machines ability to stripe. How does this machine stripe with the wheel track off centered. One benifit that I can see with deck being able to be raised at a 90 deg other than being able to get into more places is loading onto a narrow trailer. Over all looks like a great machine would love to see one ran in person. Ever thought of designing a deck to fit under a ZTR with a articulation wing on both sides basically like your pull behinds?

Where i'm at the grass is dormant so the stripe don't show very well, but the machine stripes very good i will see if i can get a good pic of striping. and yes the deck will raise enough to get on trailers, we also have a mower with a 69" articulator it will fit in those tighter areas. and we also have a fully articulating 72" that will also be in our commercial line, I will try to get a pic of it as well.

brucec32
01-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Flex-deck, you got "bashed" not because of trying to show people a better way of doing things, but because you came on too strong with it, with endless postings on every thread, complete with photos, even when the treads were unrelated. Some folks just didn't like that style. Good products mostly sell themselves, so pushing too hard makes people wonder if something's amiss.

pinnacle
01-24-2004, 07:35 PM
I can tell you this that the mower is not even close to 40,000 grand... and distributors in AUS don't know this mower exsist.

Mabey not the unit in the photo then. I spoke to Mick from one of your ditributers here (Turf link) . He told me that the Lastec Z with a 7ft deck.............not the big Diesel is $40,000.

Anyway He's coming past my way to take a unit to Brisbane and he's gunna stop here so I can have a demo. Looking forward to it. I really want to see what a forty thousand dollar mower can do!!! Lol.

brucec32
03-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by LASTEC
Hi Guys,
This is one of the mowers I'm testing I wanted you guys to take a look and let me know what you think. The ditch im cutting would normaly be line trimed, but with this artiulating offset wing im able to mow about 90% of the ditch. It also works great around the lake and under lowgrowing white pines aswell as on flat ground. I hope the picture gets attached i have not posted a pic before.

I'm sorry, but that ditch would NOT have to be line trimmed. Interesting product, but don't oversell it. And for every situation in which the mower would be a plus, one could probably think of a situation where its size and bulk, plus limited articulation of the deck, would be a problem. For example, what if the angle of the ditch bank was greater than the limits of the deck's articulation?

I get suspicious when I start hearing a mower or product is a world beater. From blades that never dull to mowers that eliminate string trimming. Caveat Emptor.

DLCS
03-02-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by brucec32
And for every situation in which the mower would be a plus, one could probably think of a situation where its size and bulk, plus limited articulation of the deck, would be a problem.

I don't think Lastec designed this mower to be cure all. I think its obvious that this mower isn't designed for your postage stamp lawns, more like large acreage lawns with lots of trimming. I can't think of any product on the market that doesn't have some limitations.

brucec32
03-02-2004, 02:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken this company started with designs for use on golf courses. I think it's worth pointing out that the big difference between that kind of work and ours is that golf courses don't have to transport their gear with them , it's already on site. So A) they don't have the problems we do with fitting them on trailers, and B) they don't have a problem with keeping a variety of mowers with them to handle the jobs these big mowers don't. The typical lawn maintenance crew, big company or small, is more limited and needs more versatile mowers, even if they lose a little productivity on the big props. While a golf course has the luxury of keeping at least one of each type of mower it needs to maximize productivity on any given area. I just think that if they're attempting to sell to commercial cutters who mow a variety of locations, they would be well-served to make units that are more versatile in size. And if they want people to trust their claims, they should refrain from overselling the mowers. Nothing makes me more suspicious of someone selling something than someone who makes claims I know aren't true.

I have done many 2-5 acre properties, so they're not all postage stamps, but even on them there are narrow strips of grass less than 69" wide, slopes where a heavy mower might cause damage, especially in turns, tight areas where many zero turns are required, and even wet areas where heavy mowers may bog or rut the turf. I see a lot of butchery out there in the marketplace where people use mowers too large for the job. . I'm just saying that I can't use a mower that isn't easy on the turf. No amount of time-saving will make up for unhappy customers.

I also am wary of the claims about this saving on string trimming time. Sure, a better trim side means less string trimming. And it probably does save SOME time. But on a quality job you're still going to have to catch a few blades here and there that ANY mower will miss right up against obstacles, and if your mower is 69" wide just how many more areas are you going to have to spend time pulling a smaller mower out on or string trimming because your wide mower won't fit in it? I don't see why a mower with a decent amount of trim side can't do just as good a job near obstacles.

The Lawn Boy Pro
03-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Excuse me - LASTEC makes the articulator - I do not see them as a sponsor on this forum - maybe I am blind. -Maybe you are. I dont see you as a sponsor on this site either, but i do still see you posting pictures of your product, as if you are still trying to market it here on lawnsite.

The Lawn Boy Pro
03-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by mike48114
I dont know about the mower but the operator should pick up the trash rather than running it over! That was the first thing I noticed too LOL. You tend to be more careful when you have new equipment. First guy to get a scrach on my new stuff owes me $30 :p

LASTEC
03-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by brucec32
I'm sorry, but that ditch would NOT have to be line trimmed. Interesting product, but don't oversell it. And for every situation in which the mower would be a plus, one could probably think of a situation where its size and bulk, plus limited articulation of the deck, would be a problem. For example, what if the angle of the ditch bank was greater than the limits of the deck's articulation?

I get suspicious when I start hearing a mower or product is a world beater. From blades that never dull to mowers that eliminate string trimming. Caveat Emptor.

This Mower is not a cure all for sure, what it allows is a wider cut. Ridged decks loose cut quality if the deck extends outside the wheel base, we all know how a 72" deck dips.. with the articulating wing takes away that dipping and the trim side is a huge bonus... but it has it's place.
www.lastec.com

cowcutter
03-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Shane, Im your neighbor over in the big O, if yall need some R and D help , using equip. let me know.