PDA

View Full Version : Trailer towing

ksland
01-21-2004, 07:54 PM
How do you think a 1994 C1500 W/T vortec 4.3L Auto 4 speed with 3.42 rear axle ratio would handle a 7x14 tandem dual axle enclosed trailer thats at 3,000 pounds now with equip and if I load additional equip would be 4,000 pounds max. I have 1000 in it now plus the trailer weighs 1900.

The window sticker says 5,600 GVW rating
2 stage multi leaf springs

Also does anyone know where I can get towing capacity and general HP and torque ratings on this truck?

DennisF
01-21-2004, 08:11 PM
It should have no problem towing 4000 lbs with the 4.3 V6. I used to build that engine in Romulus Michigan before retiring from GM and moving to FL so I'm well schooled on GM's V6 avd V8 engines. Before you tow that much weight though make sure you have electric trailer brakes hooked up and working and that your using a class III or better hitch. You won't have a problem towing...it's the stopping part that's important. That engine is rated at 195 hp. I can't remember the torque ratings but it is a very strong engine for a V6. You might be able to buy a performance chip for that year computer which might add a little more power and low end torque for pulling up hills and such. Check with Summitracing.com or Jegs performance for the chip availability. Good luck

xcopterdoc
01-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Sounds a lil heavy to me!

grassdaddy
01-21-2004, 08:57 PM
IF its level ground,you'll be allright.If its hilly,you'll need to cut out the floorboards and help paddle it along.

bayfish
01-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Ksland...I have a 92 c1500 with a 5.0 V8 and 5 sp. manual. When I tow a 16' open trailer with a Hustler Z and 2 toro walkbehinds, 2 21' mowers, it does'nt like it one bit. Thats on flat terrain here, I would hate to try it in hills. Good work truck but go with a 3/4 ton if at all possible.

lovethegreen
01-21-2004, 09:12 PM
i think thats a six cyl.... way underpowered. maybe if it had a higher gear like a 4:10 it might be enough but not likely.

Flex-Deck
01-21-2004, 09:14 PM
The advise on electric brakes is great!
Engine power probably is no problem - Any engine can probably get you there.

The Big Problem I have had in the past with 1/2 ton trucks is the transmission - Will it stand up? I pulled a 24' van trailer, and trany could not handle it when I had the 1500 chevy - Went to a 2500 heavy (V10) Dodge which has the tow package - one ton springs and trany, and now have no problems.

IMO it is the transmission that is the weak link in a towing situation.

DennisF
01-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Flex deck is right on the tranny issue. It might be a good idea to install a transmission cooler if you are going to tow the trailer at expressway speeds for any length of time. I have a 2003 Chevy Astro with the 4.3 and a towing package option from the factory and it comes with a heavy duty transmission cooler as part of the towing package. I don't do a lot of towing with the Astro but the vehicle is rated at 9,500 lbs GCVW ( gross combined vehicle weight). The van weighs 4,200 lbs so that means I should be able to tow a trailer up to 5,300 lbs using a class III hitch and equalizer bars. I have no intention of towing a trailer that heavy, but the owners manual says it's capable of it.

chines63
01-22-2004, 01:21 AM
I use 94 chevy 4.3 no problem yet. Stopping is a little tricky.

Good luck

ksland
01-22-2004, 01:37 AM
I will definately put a nice brake controller in for the brakes as well as a tranny cooler and Class III hitch. Those are obvious. As far as the tranny being the weak link it is the same tranny used in 5.7L and 5.0L as well as 3/4 ton trucks. There is little to no towing on highways and no serious hills. Also BAYFISH the 92 5.0L engine is not the vortec and is rated lower in HP and Torque than the vortec 4.3L Even the 5.0L in 94 wasn't the vortec. They improved HP and Torque quite a bit in the vortecs and the main difference was the addition of a roller cam, and header style exhaust manifolds. I know I am sounding like I have my mind made up, but I am just updating the facts we have to work with. Stopping is not an issue since the trailer brakes not only stop the trailer they slow the truck down without applying the trucks brakes. Basically it should stop better than without the trailer because it adds braking power to the truck. I would imagine sudden emergency stops might be an exception but should still stop decently

scottishmaximus
01-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Is the engine the HO 4.3? If so the engine has a lot more horsepower than the normal 4.3. I don't like the axel ratio of 3.42 at all. That combined with a non HO 4.3 would make it a dog and i'm not talking about greyhounds either. If it were a HO 4.3 with 3.73 or 4.10 gears in it i would say no problem, just try to keep enough friction with the pavement. I think with that rear differential ratio you will be overworking the tranny. If you are thinking about re gearing it, make sure that you get it done right due to the electronics.

HOMER
01-22-2004, 02:27 AM
I had an 84 Silverado with that 5.0

Wouldn't pull in a headwind wurfashit.
Ran hot.
Smoked
Finally died.

Amazing what .9 cubic inches will do in a truck.

That is the 5.9 Cummins.

What a difference.

DLCS
01-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by HOMER
wurfashit.

LMAO, I learned a new word already today.:p

jlewis
01-22-2004, 09:41 AM
I have a S10 w/ the 4.3 and A/T and tow a 6X12 enclosed. I haul home improvement tool (compresor, generator, etc) I have had it loaded w/ 175 2X4's before. I keep it out of over drive. The temp does get warm (aux trans cooler will be installed when it gets warmer here). I have a performance exhaust and air intake on it plus the B&M shift kit. My biggest mistake is my trailer does not have brakes. Those Performance Friction front pads take a beating when I stop. Gas mileage sucks w/ the trailer. I could get a big V8 and probably get the same mileage.

Joe

TURF DOCTOR
01-22-2004, 09:42 AM
It will handle okay park it on level ground keep it all level trailer brakes are a must have.

65hoss
01-22-2004, 10:04 AM
A 1/2 ton 6 cyl truck is not made to pull an enclosed trailer. Your problem will be stopping that load more than going forward. You will put a lot of wear and tear on that truck really fast.

My opinion, if you can afford to use an enclosed you should likewise get the truck to handle it.

ksland
01-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I know that seems to be the obvious reply you made, but the trailer brakes not only stop the trailer, they actually assist on stoppiung the truck as well. How do you figure it would be worse on the brakes?

ksland
01-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Also, I do have trucks that can handle the trailer, just wanted the versitility of towing with any truck.

65hoss
01-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Brakes on the trailer are not always going to stop it. What happens when you get caught out in the rain? There are times that momentum will push you regardless.

Anyway, plain and simple...will it pull it? yes. Should you pull an enclosed with 1/2 6 cyl? No.

Also, any 1/2 isn't designed to handle the weight on a day to day basis of an enclosed. I see you have larger trucks, you should be able to tell yourself from the difference in suspension, weight, etc that its not adviseable. If you need it occassionally then fine. It will do it. Will it take a beating? yes.

lawnagent
01-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ksland
As far as the tranny being the weak link it is the same tranny used in 5.7L and 5.0L as well as 3/4 ton trucks.

I will have to totally disagree with this statement. Sorry!:D

I have owned in the last 10 years, 2 3/4 ton Silverados. A 92 and a 95. I have also owned 3, 1/2 tons An 88, 92, and 95. The transmissions in the 3/4 tons were completely different. I could not even bolt up the transmission out of my 92 1/2 ton in my 92 3/4 ton. Both had the 5.7 engine. I also rebuilt the trans in the 1/2 ton for about $900. The trans in the 3/4 ton cost me $1,500 to rebuild. I will have to agree with Flex-Deck on this one.

The only variable that could POSSIBLY change this is the drive on the trucks. All my trucks were 4X4. But my transmission mechanic, ( who I will put up against anyone around both in honesty and integrity, as well as technical knowledge ) says that 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trans are different as well.

I will also add that I got twice as much towing mileage out of both my 3/4 tons before needing a transmission rebuild as I did the the 1/2 tons.

ksland
01-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Lawnagent. That may be that your trucks had the different transmission. In 94 and years previous they had T400 T350 and 700R4 (overdrive) tansmissions. Mine has the 700R4 overdrive, all the trucks that had overdrive had this same transmission. 4x4 Transmissions and 2wd transmissions are not interchangable either. The 700R4 is a strong transmission as long as you dont try to do heavy duty work with it in overdrive.

hoss, My question was will it tow it, and yes it will. Obviously on a day to day basis is not advised, I would use a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to pull it usually, but its nice to know I can use this truck on a day where another truck may not be available. I was just curious if I would not be able to make it up hills. Also 3000 pounds is not a lot to pull, I just read in the owners manual this truck is rated

Flex-Deck
01-22-2004, 05:27 PM
lawnagent - your trany guy is right - If you ever have a chance to see a 1/2 ton truck along side a 3/4 ton truck (Both the same make - ie chevy-ford-dodge) I would bet that the trany casing under the 3/4 ton truck is almost twice as wide and deep as the one under the 1/2 ton.

In my opinion, the truck manufacturers make the 1/2 ton - especially 4wd type trucks for the urban housewife and business man that has to have the "4wd truck" to drive only on pavement, so they can get their kids to school when it snows 1".

The manufacturers make the 1/2 toners as a status symbol - If you are a serious LCO with a trailer and mowers, etc etc, and are going to have something actually hooked up to this "truck" the manufacturers do one great job on the 3/4 ton and ton trucks with trany coolers, engine oil coolers, tow packages etc.

Just my opinion, Brad

ksland
01-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Flex-Deck- You are wrong. Very wrong. Some companies in different year ranges use different transmissions. Depending on what two trucks you put side by side. It is not a general rule that a 3/4 ton truck has a better or bigger transmission than a 1/2 ton. The transmission in my truck is the exact same transmission that is in the 3/4 ton of its era. Some one tons use the TH400 (no overdrive) of that era which is a strong transmission but they still had the 700R4 (mine) in 1 tons as well. And actually in physical size the TH400 is a little smaller than the 700R4. It makes me wonder why people would post info about something they don't know anything about.

If this is your general perception of how trucks are built and designed I feel sorry for you. I am not saying a 1/2 ton is he same as a 3/4 ton. But, a 1/2 ton truck is very capable in this business. You may go through brakes a little faster as well as some other maintenance items but a 1/2 ton truck can still be a workhorse without getting beat down.

ksland
01-22-2004, 09:08 PM
The new age transmissions (4L80E) and (4L60E) actual started in 1991 on these trucks. And both of them in 1994 are offered for 1/2 ton 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. A 1 ton has the same transmission and my 1/2 truck. End of story, anyone want to tell me that they build them differently for 1/2 ton and 3/4 tons? I have the info to shoot that down also.

Thanks for the valuable info those provided that weren't people that just think they know what they are talking about.

ksland
01-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Oh and, before you fall on your face again flex deck read this
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/4l60e.htm

Transmission found in nearly ALL gm trucks and rated for trucks up to 8600 pounds. And yes, it is in the V6 too. As it states.

If you think you got a better transmission when you bought that "heavy duty (sucker) truck" I guess you were fooled.

lawnagent
01-23-2004, 01:17 AM
My transmission guy said that another word that some people in some areas use to call my truck, ( 3/4 ton ) is 'company truck" I was also thinking they said it had a 750L electronic transmission. Not sure about the 7 but I am sure about the 50L.
He said that he sees alot of trucks in our biz in both 1/2 and 3/4 ton. He also said that when he rebuilds the trans on the trucks that he knows are used for true work, heavy hauling etc. that the 1/2 tons come in for a rebuild with significantly less mileage on them than the 3/4 tons have when they come in. He said if I own my truck for several years, the more expensive transmission will pay for itself in rebuilds.

LawnPerfect
01-23-2004, 01:26 AM
Just forget about all that chevy junk and buy a mans truck.

problem solved.

lawnagent
01-23-2004, 01:28 AM
Thats funny, somebody just typed but they didnt say anything?
Anyway, I am gonna look at my transmission oil pan and see what shape it is. Heck maybe I do have that 4L60E.

packerbacker
01-23-2004, 01:34 AM

Have to agree there, have a 97 F250 with 126,000 miles on it most expensive thing ive replaced is the starter. 60 bucks

lawnagent
01-23-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by packerbacker

Have to agree there, have a 97 F250 with 126,000 miles on it most expensive thing ive replaced is the starter. 60 bucks

Well I have the 1995 Chevy 1/2 ton4x4 with 135,876 miles at this exact moment and other than fluid change all I have done to it is change the water pump 1 time. Not bad for a NON MANS truck.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway back to real conversation, I looked at the transmission pan and it is basically square. One side is ever so slightly round at one end and it is a tad longer than wide making it, in reality a rectangle. But there is so little difference that some could call it a square pan.

Soupy
01-23-2004, 01:49 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to switch directions :)

Shuter
01-23-2004, 08:49 AM
K & S, I have a little bigger truck, being a 2500 with a 5.7L Vortec, but at times I am pulling a 6' x 10' dump trailer with 3-4 yards of loam or 4-5 yards of mulch. The truck is 1998 and I still have no problem with the weight.

Jusmowin
01-23-2004, 09:43 AM
I have a 94 Chevy 3/4 ton hd 2wd. I have a 400 turbo tranny w/ a RV shift kit in it and I can tow a 16ft stock trailer w/4 1000lb horses all day long, And thenturn around and haul 4or5 cords of firewood. I love my old CHEVY truck.

ProMo
01-23-2004, 09:58 AM
my f150 deteriorated fast after getting a 7x14 enclosed everything except the motor died

dishboy
01-23-2004, 11:06 AM
I have one of those no man trucks also;1975 Chevy 1-ton, 350c.u. with manual tranny. 256,000mi. 130lbs compression on all eight cylinders, engine and tranny have never been out. Has lived entire life as a work truck, it refuses to die. I think Fords are OK to.

Flex-Deck
01-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Lawnagent - I am glad your 1/2 ton chevy - 1995 trany is still going at 130,000+ miles - I bought a brand new 1995 chevy 1/2 ton silverado package - long bed extended cab, and the trany went out at 38,000, Had a new put in and it lasted 37,000, had another new put in and it went out at 38,000, and that is when I traded for the 3/4 ton Dodge- 133,000-no problems.

lawnagent
01-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
Lawnagent - I am glad your 1/2 ton chevy - 1995 trany is still going at 130,000+ miles - I bought a brand new 1995 chevy 1/2 ton silverado package - long bed extended cab, and the trany went out at 38,000, Had a new put in and it lasted 37,000, had another new put in and it went out at 38,000, and that is when I traded for the 3/4 ton Dodge- 133,000-no problems.

Let me make sure we are on the same page here. I still say that the 3/4 ton trans will get more mileage when used for extremely heavy and frequent towing compared to the half tons. This 95 half ton has NOT been used for a whole lot of towing purposes. I was simply responding to the ridiculous statement by another user about the chevys being no good. I should of just ignored it and not even given it any recognition, cause it was sure dumb enough not to.

fcl01
01-24-2004, 01:25 AM
My '02 f-150 pulled a total weight of 6000lbs to every install over the past two years with 40 bales of straw in the bed! i agree that a 3/4 ton or 1 ton would be much better but it will do for now and so will your chevy.

lawnagent
01-24-2004, 01:30 AM
I agree but if you read ALL my posts in this thread, you will see that I have a 3/4 ton already. Now that I have both, the 3/4 ton does all the towing.

fcl01
01-24-2004, 01:46 AM
lawnagent- i wasn't talking about your chevy. i was just giving my opinion on ksland's original question. and HIS chevy will do for now

SUPERIOR Lawn Design
01-24-2004, 01:57 AM
Well although I am new to the lawn care business, (3 yrs.) I have been in the automotive business almost my whole driving life, and I will clear up a few misconceptions... The transmissions found on 1/2 ton trucks are usually the same as found on rear wheel drive cars from the same manufacturer... A trans in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck can have different gear ratios, valving, and more clutches than the 1/2 ton trans. This is why these last longer. A 1/2 ton trans maintained properly will give long life, but won't be as efficient as the heavy duty trans will. Also the equipment that goes along with the heavier duty truck, (trans cooler, larger brakes, radiator, springs, tires, etc.) helps extend it's life also... Unless you equipped your 1/2 ton truck with the heavier duty equipment (rare) the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are the better buy if you can afford them... If not, do the best you can by upgrading your existing equipment... It can't hurt.

ksland
01-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Superior, The only thing related to the transmission that is different between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton is a trans cooler. You would only install heavier clutches on rebuild, from the factory they are the exact same. The gear ratios and all. This is why they do offer more transmission choices in the 3/4 ton and 1 tons.

SUPERIOR Lawn Design
01-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Superior, The only thing related to the transmission that is different between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton is a trans cooler.

Well considering that I was an automotive parts person for a total of 7 years (For a national parts chain & 3 dealerships) the latter of which I was Parts Manager, I stand by my story... I am also a gearhead through and through... I live and breathe cars and trucks, and own (and wrench on) several vehicles from an 82' 5.0 Capri RS, 85.5' SVO, 83' Trans Am (which has a truck version of the 700R4 & had to be modified slightly) a 88 Bronco 4X4 HD351, and Suzuki Katana 750...

And P.S. I am not applying this knowledge to the new generation of electronic controlled transmissions... Ksland...

ksland
01-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Parts guy huh? Since we are comparing, I was a Flat rate mechanic at 2 different dealerships, Worked in a transmission shop, and was service manager at another. I was into mechanics and had ASE certs. across the board. I just recently (6 yrs ago) started landscaping, got sick of the garage cave. I have had plenty of Muscle cars as well, mustangs, 3 different t/a's, Z-28 and numerous trucks. I wish I could count how many engines and transmissions I have installed. Or how many vehicles I have owned. But I can tell you it is somewhere around 100. And I have serviced thousands. The nature of this thread was to hopefully find someone here that tows similar weight with the same truck. Good day.

Eric 1
01-24-2004, 11:08 PM
Hey ksl.
if you now all that stuff and are certified...why did you even both to ask us.You have a 3/4 ton ...great use it.Get the smaller one drive it around as a beater use it as little as you can to pull. but if you have to for a day or two,yes it will do it,i had one. just don't push it as hard as the 3/4 ton.Ad a trans cooler, helper springs, a chip and a few other things like a good exhaust and cold air kit and you will have one mean daily driver and a BACK UP tow truck.

FineScapes
01-25-2004, 12:24 AM
V6 S10 comment - i wouldn't pull more than a 6 * 12 open trailor - with a V6 my 88Ranger XLT has run great i pull a Z and a WB no problems here yall and i wouldnt trade it for anything it feels good when i pull up next to someone w/ practically the same rig i just laugh because they probably have a truck payment and i do not (unless its daddys little boy but we all know they don't last)you boys need to listen to dave ramsey during the day from yard to yard
GOOD LUCK TO ALL - LETS KICK SOME GRASS!!!

Kelly's Landscaping
01-25-2004, 04:23 AM
65hoss

Brakes on the trailer are not always going to stop it. What happens when you get caught out in the rain? There are times that momentum will push you regardless.

Whelp thatís when you aim for the softest target I prefer lawns to cars. I wouldnít use anything but V8s in my business but the stopping has been an issue for me on a good 2-3 occasions on 2 different trucks with 2 different trailers each with electric brakes I have little to np stopping in the rain. The problem is {and once you know it you can avoid it}When the rain just starts the oils on the road get slick and then the momentum really gives you a first class show. With the truck I drive ah dodge ram 1500 quad cab long bed with a full load of grass a 6x16 foot tandem trailer fully loaded I weigh in around 12,000 pounds you hit oil like I said at that weight and well its like skiing and I never liked that either come to think of it. After about 20 mins of rain your out of danger at least thatís been my experience.

ksland
01-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Thats is exactly my plan, again as I stated before I wanted to find someone that has done just that (towing 3000 pounds with the 4.3L) Certifications (that have expired years ago) didn't apply then to my question and certainly wouldn't now since all the newer model cars and trucks have changed quite a bit. I didn't want to put on a reese hitch, brake controller, and tranny cooler to find out that I couldn't make it up a 15 degree hill. This is a place for asking questions isn't it?

ksland
01-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Oh also, I just found out that my towing capacity on that truck/engine/gear combo is 5000 pounds. It should handle the 3000 pretty well.

You have to remeber all you V8 lovers (I do too) this engine is rated at 200 hp and 255 Tq that is more than a lot of earlier model V8's. Add that with a strong 4 speed auto and respectable 3.43 gears in a very light truck and I think you may be surprised.

Albemarle Lawn
01-25-2004, 02:58 PM
You'll be just fine around town. 3.42:1 is a good gear, esp with the overdrive because that 700-r4 trans has a very low first gear ratio. The 3.42:1 is like a 3.73:1 - 4.10:1 with a regular 3-spd auto trans.

HERE'S THE PROB: Towing at speed on the highway. You may have to use prem gas because it will struggle with wind resistance. My trailer was 18' x 8' and it was tough holding 65 MPH, and uphill was a downshift and 45 MPH tops. That little gasser will get worn out fast from detonation if you will do much highway driving. It will also get hot.

BTW if you ever need a radiator let me know I have one I bought new and used for 3 months, then I jerked out the 4.3 and put in a 383 stroker with 4.10 gears. Talk about a Jenny Jones makeover, that truck was REBORN baby!!!

KB

SUPERIOR Lawn Design
01-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Eric 1
Hey ksl.
if you now all that stuff and are certified...why did you even bother to ask us?

Good point, and I would like to add, that in the dealership world the Service Tech's job ends at the Parts counter. It's the job of the parts person to get all pertinent information on the vehicle and provide the correct parts to the Tech working on said vehicle... But we have gone astray from the original thread here, so I will say good luck to you and your business in 2004!

lawnagent
01-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by lawnagent
My transmission guy said that another word that some people in some areas use to call my truck, ( 3/4 ton ) is 'company truck" I was also thinking they said it had a 750L electronic transmission. Not sure about the 7 but I am sure about the 50L.
He said that he sees alot of trucks in our biz in both 1/2 and 3/4 ton. He also said that when he rebuilds the trans on the trucks that he knows are used for true work, heavy hauling etc. that the 1/2 tons come in for a rebuild with significantly less mileage on them than the 3/4 tons have when they come in. He said if I own my truck for several years, the more expensive transmission will pay for itself in rebuilds.

Man I love to quote myself!:D Anyway the above statement, to me, is the bottom line and all that really matters. Whether the 3/4 ton trans is or is not different inside or what parts may or may not fit really does not amount to a hill of beans difference in my book. Even if one trans runs on Pepsi cola, who cares. The track record quoted above says it all., regardless of reasons why or whether it should or should not matter.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ksland, I have always respected your opinions on this forum but you have taken quite an attitude with anyone who dares to disagree with you. You have abeen quoting all this tech knowledge and know how, so I wonder. If you know all this. Why did you ask the question that started the thread? You obviously know much more than the rest of us to start with. What with your ASE certs and all that enable you to shoot everyone else down.

SUPERIOR Lawn Design
01-25-2004, 04:47 PM
I'll go for that! Buy the heaviest duty truck you can afford and work your ash off!!! Make money, not war!!! payup

Flex-Deck
01-25-2004, 05:18 PM
LOL Superior.

AMAC
01-25-2004, 05:46 PM
It should do fine. I pulled a 7x20 heavy dutie open trailor, loaded with a 60 in Gravely ztr and 2, 48 in exmark wb and much more, with a 92 toyota 4 cyl pickup (it was a site to see). I did this for 2 years before finally upgrading. The toyota still runs like a champ but I'm happy to have more power now. Some times you have to make due with what you have, untill you can afford to upgrade.

ksland
01-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Lawnagent, all your answers are in my reply a few back. Sorry for the atttitude but I just wanted to correct false statements. Hopefully educating others that may think otherwise.

Thats is exactly my plan, again as I stated before I wanted to find someone that has done just that (towing 3000 pounds with the 4.3L) Certifications (that have expired years ago) didn't apply then to my question and certainly wouldn't now since all the newer model cars and trucks have changed quite a bit. I didn't want to put on a reese hitch, brake controller, and tranny cooler to find out that I couldn't make it up a 15 degree hill. This is a place for asking questions isn't it?

lawnagent
01-25-2004, 09:55 PM
I am sorry to. Now lets all call a truce and get ready for green season again! Green grass and green cash!:alien: :alien:

ksland
01-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Sounds good, I will call off Gunther and Billy Bob:gunsfirin

kmeforou
01-27-2004, 02:50 AM
I had a 2001 Silverado with the same engine and I pulled a 12 foot trailer. It was sluggish when I had my zero turn on it. I imagine yours would be a lot worse. I personally would not recommed it.

askarvelis
01-27-2004, 05:44 AM
Personnally I think it matters on how fast you really want to get there. I mean I see guys who fish with 300hp boats and don't catch the amount of fish I catch with a 50hp!