PDA

View Full Version : sit/stand sulkys ?

dgram8
01-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Are these worth getting or sitting uncomfortable? does anybody have or used one?

JHMlandscapes
01-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Although I have never used either, I'll throw in my personal thoughts. If you have a lot of wide, flat open areas, I think a sit down would be fine, but if you had a lot of hills or tight areas, I think it would be kind of difficult to maneuver. Keep in mind, key word here is "think". ;)

Henry

MTR
01-22-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by dgram8
Are these worth getting or sitting uncomfortable? does anybody have or used one?

Based on personal experience, standing sulky is by far the best and easier to transport. Try one and you will understand.

bastalker
01-22-2004, 02:23 AM
I have used both. The problems with the sit down sulky's are

1. As stated before, they take up alot of room on a trailer. Stand ups usually fold up.

2. You cant see as good sittin on a sulky as ya can standin on one. You just cant see the terrain as good. Sittin down your lookin over the grips, standin yer lookin over the mower...

3. Cant make tight turns as well.

If I was doing large long run properties, I would definately use the sit down sulky. For smaller props a sit down is a dissadvantage IMO.

J.Gordon
01-22-2004, 04:59 AM
I really like my BullRider a lot! My back doesn’t hurt my back when I mow for a long periods. Great visibility, it lets you utilize the full potential of the machine. (Kind of hard to walk at 8-10 MPH for very long.) And you can still bail off if needed. When you have low limbs you can just kneel down under the bars and keep going but you would be limited with the sit-down version. I thought about purchasing a sit-down sulky but after getting a quote I decided that for that much money I could find better use for my money. They are sure proud of those. I think it was about $900.00
I thought that I would build a sit-down sulky and save $700.00 but after using the BullRider I decided it wouldn’t get used anyway so why waste more trailer space. I wouldn’t mind trying one just to see what its like though, if I had the time to make one. Or could get a better price. Just my .01

http://www.trimmertrap.com/sulkys/sulky.htm

Jeff

TJLC
01-22-2004, 07:20 AM
I have owned and used the Bullrider and the Exmark sitdown steerable sulky. They both worked very well but I did like the Exmark alittle better because it steered with you which seemed to help in tight areas a little better than the Bullrider. The sitdown from Exmark is a little pricey at $600.00. I know the Bullrider runs less than that. I am currently using a Proslide and like it so far. The only disadvantage I have found so far is you can't backup very well. Other than that, it's performing like I hoped it would. You need to check out a few different sulkies/velkies if you can, then you can decide which one works the best for your particular situation. Good luck. Have you tried the search feature, I will bet you will find alot of good info there also.

Tvov
01-22-2004, 09:01 AM
My Exmark Metro 48 has the Exmark steerable sit-down, and we like it. Not only does the steering work well, but the spring suspension seat makes a big difference over the cheaper aftermarket seats. I had bought a Landscaper's Supply seat years ago to test it out, and after deciding to get another from Exmark, I realized I had wasted my money on the cheaper one. Also, the Exmark is very fast to remove from the mower, so it is simple to remove to do a tight/hilly yard on foot. Our output increased greatly with the riders, definitely worth the money.

PaulJ
01-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by J.Gordon
I really like my BullRider a lot! My back doesn't’t hurt when I mow for a long periods. Great visibility, it lets you utilize the full potential of the machine. (Kind of hard to walk at 8-10 MPH for very long.) And you can still bail off if needed. When you have low limbs you can just kneel down under the bars and keep going but you would be limited with the sit-down version.
.... ..
http://www.trimmertrap.com/sulkys/sulky.htm

Jeff

I agree with Jeff. My back and legs don't bother a bit from standing as much as they do If I rid in a car for very long. and I have knee and lower back problems. The things Jeff said are also the reasons I have a walkbehind with a sulky and not a rider. I have considered maybe getting a sit sulky if i ever have to mow wide, wide open areas where I would be on the mower for more than a couple hours at a time.