PDA

View Full Version : Hey Rodfather

Victor
01-21-2004, 11:45 PM
I was wondering what made you decide to go with Ferris mowers. I hear they make really good equipment, but was wondering what your reason for getting their equipment over some of the others was? Just curious. I might wind up with one of their mowers down the road. You never know.

Vic

olderthandirt
01-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Rods a major stock holder in Ferris Industries. He makes more money pushing the brand than he does Mowing:laugh:

Mac

GarPA
01-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Mac ...took the words out of my mouth. I dont know rods last name but there is a rumor that it begins with F and ends with ERRIS.

rodfather
01-22-2004, 09:17 AM
A couple of reasons...

1. Reliability (they are very dependable machines)
2. Dealer Support (he carries a full range of parts on hand w/loaners)
3. I buy a lot of them and get extremely good pricing
4. I get very good trade-in value for them
5. Dealer is 5 minutes from my shop
6. In 9 years with 15 or so machines, I have only had one hydro go bad (warranty)

Now for you smartazzes Mac and Gary, NO I am not related to them (although I do a lot of work for Ferris's largest Distributor here in NJ).

Victor
01-22-2004, 09:50 AM
I can't say I blame you then Rod. It sounds like you have have a really good track record with them.

Vic

walker-talker
01-22-2004, 10:41 AM
When it comes time for my next purchase...I will look into the Ferris model. I remember seeing one a few years ago at a Ferris dealership and thinking to myself that it looked like a well built machine....especially for the money. It was in the fall and they wanted to get rid of the showroom model. If I am not mistaken, it had a 52" and they were only asking around $5400....it was a ZTR.

rodfather
01-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Victor
I can't say I blame you then Rod. It sounds like you have have a really good track record with them.

Vic

You're right Vic, I'm not complaining.

What's real nice for me is even if my dealer doesn't have something on hand that I need, I can run over to the distributor (15 minutes away from my dealer) can sign and get want I want directly from them. The distriubtor still bills my stuff through my dealer, but I get whatever I need in less than an hour...works for me:D

GarPA
01-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Hey Rod...being the astute businessman you are, have you ever considered getting into the equipment sales/service end of this industry? You made a post a while back that led me to believe you have something up your sleeve...shall we say...

rodfather
01-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Actually Gary, the President approached me a year or so ago about coming to work for them in a kind of new position working with their sales force. What he had in mind was for me to tag along with the sales guys to demo and answer real life issues with the equipment since I have either run and owned just about everything they handle (besides Ferris btw).

Everything was going along ok with open ideas and thoughts between the two of us until he jokingly said to me, "You know Rod, this would be a full time position. You wouldn't be able to hibernate and take 3 1/2 months off during the winter like you're accustomed to!"

I laughed and said, "S*** on that real job kind of stuff." But, we have discussed it a few times more...we'll see? The other nice thing is he and I are the same age and went to high school together hre in NJ.

GarPA
01-22-2004, 01:11 PM
be careful my friend... I dont know what you did prior to 10 years ago, but before I would go back working for a company of any kind, it would have to be almost like I won the lotto or something...job security today in almost any company is so shaky.Like I;ve said before here, the green business is hard work, long hours and cut throat competitive....but you wont get a pink slip unless YOU decide to scew up your business....

I cant even imagine only after a couple years in business, what it would be like to have to work structured hours and my pay and compemsation package being tied to what some clueless dink mgr thinks of my performance. My father in law was a very successful self made business owner...2 things he told me a few years ago, that I think about almost every week.........

1. you will work at least 3 times harder than you think you will, to make your business successful
2. the sense of satisfaction and freedom of having your own business, and doing something you love, will make it not seem like you are working that hard.....

he was dead right on both of those...

rodfather
01-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by GarPA
be careful my friend... I dont know what you did prior to 10 years ago, but before I would go back working for a company of any kind, it would have to be almost like I won the lotto or something...job security today in almost any company is so shaky.Like I;ve said before here, the green business is hard work, long hours and cut throat competitive....but you wont get a pink slip unless YOU decide to scew up your business....

I cant even imagine only after a couple years in business, what it would be like to have to work structured hours and my pay and compemsation package being tied to what some clueless dink mgr thinks of my performance. My father in law was a very successful self made business owner...2 things he told me a few years ago, that I think about almost every week.........

1. you will work at least 3 times harder than you think you will, to make your business successful
2. the sense of satisfaction and freedom of having your own business, and doing something you love, will make it not seem like you are working that hard.....

Your father-in-law is a smart cookie Gary...

Ursushorribilus
02-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Rodfather, can you tell me roughly the pricetag on the Ferris IS 5000Z 31.5 Cat diesel? How much torque does it have? How do you think it stacks up against Hustler and Exmark? Tony

rodfather
02-09-2004, 08:22 AM
About 16K for price tag.

Torque? More than you'll ever need.

I really don't know enough about Hustler and/or eXmark to compare.

bactrac
01-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Getting back to the machine in question, the Ferris 5000: Bought mine new from the worst dealer. I asked about this unit having serial #'s being above those in the cooling recall - he lied and I had to hustle right at the start of the 04 season since Ferris waited until March to drop this recall bomb on me about "possible" overheating. Thank goodness my tractor dealer for Massey-Ferguson really hit several homers on the 5000. I wanted Ferris to take it back and give me another new one since the dealer intentionally lied about the serials. No chance without a lawsuit which I seriously considered but gave up because of time - not money. The unit performed fine until late season when the rear control arms broke due to a poor choice of materials on Ferris's part. Under warranty but with no arms made ready to ship even though Ferris was being confronted with this problem from many 5000 owners I had to call and babysit the arms through production,paint, and shipping to save my business. The arms were installed quickly by the tractor dealer who by this time I owe my life to and Ferris claims to this day they are working on cast arms that hold up to the task - they'll probably wait until March true to form. Hey Rodfather - take the job and teach them how to retain customers - I love the unit's Cat/Perkins torque, but Ferris has definitely dropped the ball on me to where I have to buy a backup unit just to sleep peacefully during the cut season. By the way my tractor dealer is not selling Ferris but is selling Simplicity - It was an Act of Congress to get Ferris to authorize them to do the cooling system recall and once again to do the rear control arms. Ferris on the bright side is teaching me to have an infinite amount of patience - hope it doesn't wear too thin. :realmad:

rodfather
01-28-2005, 09:17 AM
I truly hope everything works out ok for ya...btw, I'm enjoying my winter hibernation alot too.

Apples
01-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey Rodfather, Any special reasons you own the big Toro diesels,rather then a Ferris IS5000 CAT?

rodfather
01-28-2005, 05:19 PM
A couple of reasons...

I had them before Ferris even came out with the 5000's (strange though too I demoed the prototype for Ferris years ago for the 5000). Another reason is one of my Toros has a customer made vacuum system for leaf cleanup. Another one of them has a custom made fert spreader mounted on the front of it using a 2" receiver. Both the fert setup and the vac system are quick-change setups we fabricated and come apart in about 60 seconds or so. Lastly, none of them (we have 3) just don't seem to wear out or give us any problems. They can mow grass waist high like there is no tomorrow with all their torque and go all day on a tank of fuel or less.

Only real downfall to them is they are kind of heavy (around 2000 pounds) and they're kind of long too.

Apples
01-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Rodfather. Have any of your Ferris people said anything about these IS5000 problems?

rodfather
01-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks, Rodfather. Have any of your Ferris people said anything about these IS5000 problems?

Not really...they're all excited about the new 1500 model coming out with either a gasser or a diesel option available.

all degree
01-28-2005, 07:36 PM

Sounds like you had a truly horrible experience working for others. While I agree that is the rule working for others can have its ups. If you are truly valuable you can make a great deal of money and have freedom. It just depends on how good you are and how valuable you are to the company. You would not believe the $ and benefits you can get out of a company if you can truly become someone who their business depends on. 6 figure bonus, vacations paid for by the company, cars, etc.